Ron Leary

Texas_Pete

Reaction score
Although undrafted, he is making noise in the OTAs. So much noise that Bill Callahan thinks he can compete for a starting guard spot as a rook.

"We worked with him pretty good," Callahan said. "He was impressive to watch. He's got a lot of positive attributes to his play."

The Cowboys think he has a chance to compete for a starting spot at guard as a rookie, which will give them some flexibility along the line, allowing them to possibly experiment with free agent guard Mackenzy Bernadeau at center.

LINK

If that happens, maybe that is why they didn't draft a center? Here's hoping that the rook continues to impress. Bernadeau would be an upgrade over Costa at center.

Thoughts?

kmd24

Reaction score
If - and it's a big if - Dallas manages to cobble together a good offensive line from castoffs and UDFA's, they'll have a really good shot at making some noise in the postseason.

Leary looks the part. It would be great to get a 3rd round talent as an UDFA. Hope his knee holds up.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
I actually thought they would draft Leary. He has potential if his knee holds up. Good grab by Dallas.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Texas_Pete;4551422 said:
If that happens, maybe that is why they didn't draft a center? Here's hoping that the rook continues to impress. Bernadeau would be an upgrade over Costa at center.

Thoughts?

I would assume that Bernadeau was a plan C at best, but he would be an upgrade over Costa

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
Joe Rod;4551500 said:
I actually thought they would draft Leary. He has potential if his knee holds up. Good grab by Dallas.
yes it could be

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
I'm staying positive. I had hoped we'd bring a blue chip rookie or FA in, but I'm much happier with where we are at right now than where we were last year as far as the offensive line. Things could be better, but this is at least an improvement.

funkytown

Reaction score
I'm going to tap the break on Leary for a minute.

I think most are excited because supposedly the Boys had a 3rd round grade on him(If not for the injury).

Not sure we can trust their rankings on lineman in the draft.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
funkytown;4552037 said:

I think most are excited because supposedly the Boys had a 3rd round grade on him(If not for the injury).

That's completely fair.

Doesn't stop me from hoping he can be a player though. Even if it's only for the short term and his knee eventually ends his career.

John813

Reaction score
As much as I want to get excited, I remember the hype created last year over Arkin and Nagy and they didn't pan out too well the first year.

Hopefully, Leary lives up to the early hype.

jnday

Reaction score
funkytown;4552037 said:

I am excited because he may come in and offer some type of improvement. He seems to be the only rookie that has a shot at upgrading an oline position. I may be grasping at straws. Oh well.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
I was already high on Ronald Leary, but I like him even more after reading this.

I hope he wins a starting guard spot this year.

I'm very excited about this player, because he's exactly what the doctor ordered in that offensive line. I'm pulling for him, big time.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I was disappointed that we didn't grab Leary in the 7th. It may work out anyway!
Not so sure about him starting though

funkytown

Reaction score
jnday;4552076 said:
I am excited because he may come in and offer some type of improvement. He seems to be the only rookie that has a shot at upgrading an oline position. I may be grasping at straws. Oh well.

But as a fan I really hope he turns out to be a star. Even if he turns out to be a decent back up for a few years, thats still winning when it comes to an undrafted guy.

nathanlt

Reaction score
funkytown;4552037 said:

I'll add to that, good offensive lineman take time to become quality starters, not to mention generating unity and cohesiveness with the rest of the line.

Dallas has a better chance of Nagy or Arkin coming along, since it's their second year.

Tyron Smith was an exception, he was ready to play from Day one. I'd like Leary to pan out in similar fashion, don't get me wrong. It will likely take some time.

KnowledgeBarnes

Reaction score
John813;4552057 said:
As much as I want to get excited, I remember the hype created last year over Arkin and Nagy and they didn't pan out too well the first year.

Hopefully, Leary lives up to the early hype.

I don't remember early hype about Arkin and Nagy, the only word I associated with then was serviceable.....Nagy more than Arkin and Costa was a distant 3rd.

jnday

Reaction score
KnowledgeBarnes;4552691 said:
I don't remember early hype about Arkin and Nagy, the only word I associated with then was serviceable.....Nagy more than Arkin and Costa was a distant 3rd.

There was a good bit of hype and high hopes last year for Nagy and Arkin. Things have cooled for Arkin a little, but many fans still have high hopes for Nagy. Costa was built up due to Gurode's release, but things have cooled after his play last year.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
funkytown;4552037 said:

I also think the Cowboys are pushing the idea that he could start too much, as an excuse for not drafting a lineman.

I mean, they haven't even seen him block an NFL linemen with pads on and they've been hyping him since signing him as a UDFA.

I hope for the best with every one of our signings, but if the best Dallas can do is say, "Look at this great UDFA we got," I think the Cowboys were better off not saying anything at all. Then we could be pleasantly surprised if he pans out rather than disappointed if he doesn't.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
gimmesix;4553729 said:
I also think the Cowboys are pushing the idea that he could start too much, as an excuse for not drafting a lineman.

I mean, they haven't even seen him block an NFL linemen with pads on and they've been hyping him since signing him as a UDFA.

I hope for the best with every one of our signings, but if the best Dallas can do is say, "Look at this great UDFA we got," I think the Cowboys were better off not saying anything at all. Then we could be pleasantly surprised if he pans out rather than disappointed if he doesn't.

I agree that it's nothing to bang their chest about but I also agree with the scouts who thought he would be a 3rd or 4th rounder if he knee was ok.

Hopefully David Arkin is better than Ron Leary though.

sago1

Reaction score
Count me as one who is really pulling for Leary. If he does well in OTAs & TC/actually good enough to make the team, it would be a great to see him win out. If that's the case, sure hope he gets an opportunity to get some real playing time in a few games.

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
Nice article. I'll be pulling for the guy. Excellent UDFA signing.