Ron Rivera - one of NFL's worst talent evaluators

XXLMike

Reaction score
Ron Rivera one of the NFL’s worst talent evaluators.

Biggest problem in Washington was RV’s demand to pick the groceries.

Say what you want about Quinn but he had an eye for talent.

Rivera a big problem behind the scenes.

A huge NO from me.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
He hasn't been a DC since 2010...I doubt he is in tune with today's X's and O's. But all he needs to do is show off his resume and Jerry will be impressed.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Too nice of a man these days get me someone else. JERRY IS IN MOBILE, get one of those young guys

stilltheguru

Reaction score
I bet he's pimping Jerry like the simp he is about how he made Luke Keuchly :laugh: ridiculous

32BellyOption

Reaction score

A huge NO from me.
He won’t be picking talent. Sure he’ll have input but we know where the final decision lays. Rivera is every bit the DC Quinn is plus with MM in the final year of his deal we’d be lucky to get someone with his experience.

805BoysInBlue

Reaction score
We have Juanye Thomas and Mukuamu who have shined in the opportunities given...yet he goes with the bum of bums Nashon Wright. Mazi was his doing, and so was Sam Williams.

Aven8

Reaction score

A huge NO from me.
DQ brought us Wright, Kelvin Joseph, and Sam Williams…He should have been locked down in a closet!

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
He hasn't been a DC since 2010...I doubt he is in tune with today's X's and O's. But all he needs to do is show off his resume and Jerry will be impressed.
Yea I doubt the guy whose been a head coach for the last 4 years is in tune with the league today

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score

A huge NO from me.
Rivera is a good DC.

He's just a bad head coach. We've seen ir a million times b4 with other good Coordinator/bad head coach type guys.

The guy should focus on what he does best, running a defense as a DC, and let more qualified people pick players and run the team as a HC...and deal with all that streas.

There's worse things in the world than just settling in as a life long Defensive Coordinator in the NFL.

Gambit

Reaction score

A huge NO from me.
Based on what?

And I'm trying to hold a discussion, if we can keep it civil focused on the players he has drafted, specifically on Defense would be helpful.

Here are some of his Defensive picks from both Panthers and Washington with Butler being clearly worst pick. This list is not exhaustive but shows a little about him in terms of talent evaluation

Luke Kuechly
Vernon Butler
Darrick Forrest
star Loutei
Brian Burns
Jamin Davis
Benjamin St-Juste

aside from Butler what is so egregious about this list?

chuck520

Reaction score
Here is background on Rivera when he was a DC

2004 through 2006 with the Bears
2004: 12th total defense, 13 in scoring
2005: 2nd total defense, 1st in scoring
2006: 5th total defense, 3rd in scoring
NOTE: Bears had an outstanding defense those years, making the Super Bowl in his 3rd year

Question is why he left the Bears for the Chargers for the same position? I had heard from a former Chicago area sportscaster that he and Lovie Smith didnt get along
He was interviewed by the Cowboys in 2007 when they hired Wade Phillips
2007 through 2010 with the Chargers
2007: 14th total defense, 5th in scoring
2008: 25th total defense, 15th in scoring
2009: 16th total defense, 11th in scoring
2010: 1st total defense, 10th in scoring
NOTE: He started off all right with the Chargers fell back in 2nd year then improved the next 2 years

When he was the Bears, they had no QB, the Chargers had Phillip Rivers at QB and a high scoring offense

2011 through 2019 with the Panthers
3 winning seasons (2013, 2015, 2017), 1 SB app

2020 through 2023 with the Commanders
0 winning seasons, 1 NFC East title (2020)

Its hard to judge his Commanders years for a few factors
1) The first year COVID and he had no contact with the players
2) He was sick and had cancer
3) The franchise has been very bad
4) he had more say in personnel, he isnt going to have as much in Dallas

Rivera is similiar to Quinn, he's coming off a bad run as a HC, who knows what his future plans are?

Rams interviewed him earlier this year
Article said he runs for zone using cover 3 or quarters (cover 4), prevent and has problems without a dominant pass rush
Quinn uses cover 3

Big question is if Rivera is hired to be DC will the players play as hard for him as they did for Quinn?

chuck520

Reaction score
Based on what?

And I'm trying to hold a discussion, if we can keep it civil focused on the players he has drafted, specifically on Defense would be helpful.

Here are some of his Defensive picks from both Panthers and Washington with Butler being clearly worst pick. This list is not exhaustive but shows a little about him in terms of talent evaluation

Luke Kuechly
Vernon Butler
Darrick Forrest
star Loutei
Brian Burns
Jamin Davis
Benjamin St-Juste

aside from Butler what is so egregious about this list?
He wont be as involved in personnel

CowboyinMD

Reaction score
Quinn had an eye for talent?

Did I just read that?
The guys here on DC radio are saying Quinn got a 5th round LB (Clark) playing like a pro bowler, and got good production from an UEFA in Markquese Bell. They are saying Quinn is a leader of men.

Which is making me wonder... why didn't Jerry fire McCarthy in higher Quinn then? What am I missing? Are most Cowboys fans too harshly critical of Quinn CONSIDERING what he did to turn around this defense since 2021! When You consider we have a subpar defensive line and lack LBs?

Who's right? I don't want to hear it from any of you guys if our defense starts to suck post-Quinn.

chuck520

Reaction score
The guys here on DC radio are saying Quinn got a 5th round LB (Clark) playing like a pro bowler, and got good production from an UEFA in Markquese Bell. They are saying Quinn is a leader of men.

Which is making me wonder... why didn't Jerry fire McCarthy in higher Quinn then? What am I missing? Are most Cowboys fans too harshly critical of Quinn CONSIDERING what he did to turn around this defense since 2021! When You consider we have a subpar defensive line and lack LBs?

Who's right? I don't want to hear it from any of you guys if our defense starts to suck post-Quinn.
Clark was awful this year no where near a pro bowler, Bell was good but playing out of position. The run defense was terrible. Quinn is a leader but he tends to focus on pass rush vs run stopping.

McCarthy had an excellent year as OC and Dak had an outstanding year. If the offense had been terrible this year then I think he would have promoted Quinn.
Quinn came in and did a great job 3 years ago but this year at times, opposing teams figured him out especially vs the run. The personnel was an issue as well.