Ron Rivera...

lewpac

Benched
Reaction score
I got banned........LITERALLY BANNED..........from another Cowboy forum a couple years ago because I was lobbying for Ron Rivera over Phillips when Parcells quit.
The admin. and others on this site got side-ways whenever I questioned Garrets (2 yrs. QB coach in Miami) credentials, and wondered out loud why ANYONE would want Phillips.
Phillips big "claim to fame" up to that point, was that he just finished being the DC in San Diego, a year the Chargers had the best defense in the NFL.
So, we were SUPPOSED to have the best Defensive head coach in the NFL, and the next "Vunder-child" genius/prodigy OC/Asst. HC in the NFL.
Uh-huh. Right. Sure. And I got a bridge in Brooklyn to sell ya' too.
Much, if not the vast majority of this fiasco is on the coaching. Period. Hands-down. It's a lock IMO.
I wonder, to this day.............how come WE can't have a young, inventive and fiery HC for once? Why do we always have to have a guy who played before face-masks were invented? Just once, I'd love to have guy like Rivera or Gruden stalking the sidelines, throwing tantrums, slamming his clip-board and his ear-phones to the ground, etc, etc, etc.............
Someone with a fire up his arse....................

lewpac

Benched
Reaction score
I swear it's all true. No flaming. No cursing. No name calling, nothing even close. Just a difference of opinion.
I was out-numbered by dozens to one. The vitriol and hatred was unbelievable, only because I disagreed with the sheeple and the kool-aid drinkers who were all in "lock-step" about Garrett and Phillips.
Questions like "name me the QB in Miami when Garrett was the QB coach" brought almost death threats.
I got the usual and predictable "You're not a fan" bull too.
Statements like "the next Chan Gailey" (about Phillips) led to the demise of my posting there. It was surreal.
Turns out, a brain-surgeon like me was probably right. These two guys are nothing but a couple of "Jerry-men-YES-men", just what Jerry likes. Winning be damned.
And now we're seeing the fruit of THAT labor................

dadymat

I'm kind of a Big Deal
Reaction score
ive never liked Wade ....I didnt want Norv either....I too wanted a young up an comin coach......

StylisticS

Reaction score
jimmy40;2354973 said:
I wanted Bob Stoops.

yeah well...do you want him now?
I remember Rex Ryan was a popular name here. Ron Rivera was popular but the defense would have to changed, I believed.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
lewpac;2354897 said:
I got banned........LITERALLY BANNED..........from another Cowboy forum a couple years ago because I was lobbying for Ron Rivera over Phillips when Parcells quit.
The admin. and others on this site got side-ways whenever I questioned Garrets (2 yrs. QB coach in Miami) credentials, and wondered out loud why ANYONE would want Phillips.
Phillips big "claim to fame" up to that point, was that he just finished being the DC in San Diego, a year the Chargers had the best defense in the NFL.
So, we were SUPPOSED to have the best Defensive head coach in the NFL, and the next "Vunder-child" genius/prodigy OC/Asst. HC in the NFL.
Uh-huh. Right. Sure. And I got a bridge in Brooklyn to sell ya' too.
Much, if not the vast majority of this fiasco is on the coaching. Period. Hands-down. It's a lock IMO.
I wonder, to this day.............how come WE can't have a young, inventive and fiery HC for once? Why do we always have to have a guy who played before face-masks were invented? Just once, I'd love to have guy like Rivera or Gruden stalking the sidelines, throwing tantrums, slamming his clip-board and his ear-phones to the ground, etc, etc, etc.............
Someone with a fire up his arse....................

You sound like my children did at a younger age. But I didn't do anything.

I understand emotional reasoning is a common response. Having a coach throw things and cuss players out will not elicit a favorable response. And having them receive positive reinforcement, while being more likely to succeed, doesn't guarantee results.

What does get results is for people to continue to improve. Like having rookie QBs gain valuable experience playing hopefully without losing games for you. This is what Wade has been trying to do. Unfortunately he lost two starting CBs and had to throw the rookies out there anyway and without a very good lifeline.

That is certainly not the only problem as there were some runs. I'd bet though that they had some containment and tackling issues in the run game.

jimmy40

Reaction score
StylisticS;2354990 said:
yeah well...do you want him now?
I remember Rex Ryan was a popular name here. Ron Rivera was popular but the defense would have to changed, I believed.
actually yeah I do. I think Stoops would be a hell of a pro coach and he'd be gone from OU. a double win for me.