Rookie O-Lineman and Starting Immediately

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
I keep seeing the phrase, he can start from day 1. When it comes to Offensive Linemen that isn't as palatable as some people like to think.

Larry Allen was just named to the all decade team of the 2000's. He was a rookie in 1994 and he started 10 games that year. At the time he tied the all time record for rookie starts on the OL.

The record was first established in 1975 with Burton Lawless. It was tied in 1987 by Kevin Gogan. Then LA in 1994.

In 1998 Flozell Adams topped all of those records when he started 12 games.

In 2005 his record was topped by a rookie who started all 16 games and he is one of the most irrationally hated players in the History of this forum, Rob Petitti.

So while doing mock drafts we should all remember that it isn't necessarily true that out pick at #27 is going to step right in from day 1, start, and be an improvement that pushes us over the hump to glory.

Sometimes the real world intrudes even in Fantasy Football.

The Realist

Reaction score
I've never thought we were going to draft a day one starter at any position this year. I actually prefer it that way. We're good, deep and young players have to earn there way on the field.

Bobby, Spencer, Felix, Jenkins.

Groom em, coach em up and put them on the field when they are ready.

This is why I'm usually such a big advocate of trading downs in a lot of cases.

Who's going to be a better player?

Iupati, Ducasse or Mike Johnson?

Well you can get MJ bottom of 2 to 3 and pick up Pouncey and possibly an extra 5 in the process (precedent: we gave up 36, 89, and 159 to move up to 26 for Spencer).

So realistically in a trade like that it could be Pouncey, Mike Johnson and Eric Olsen/Chris Scott/Veldheer/Marshall Newhouse vs Iupati/Ducasse.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Pettiti was irrationally hated. I think like Roy is now. How can you hate someone who is clearly giving all he has. Ok he is no good but to me to hate someone who is giving 110% is just wrong.

(Unless you are talking about the PROCTOLOGIST)

Goldenrichards83

Reaction score
If we take a WR/Pr/KR like a Mardy Gilyard, Golden Tate or (pipedream)Dez Bryant we have a starter at KR/PR day 1 and maybe a fulltime stsrter ar wideout in 6 weeks. My wish is to take a offensive lineman with that first pick but you are right in he wouldn't see the field for some time.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
We need somebody to groom for about 10 games because that's about all we're gonna get out of Flo before he wears down again...

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Hostile;3262802 said:
Sometimes the real world intrudes even in Fantasy Football.

http://img.***BLOCKED***/albums/v210/zrinkill/3524352f9e559f1.gif

Stop messing with peoples fantasies!!!!!

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
I assume you mean franchise records and if so, I'd point out we haven't selected a lineman in the first round since 1981.

Even so, it's a different NFL mow where rookies are required to contribute earlier than back then.

JMO, we aren't going to draft an OT that can start from day 1 or even year 1 barring injury. Any tackle we pick will begin the season and end the season at the #4 spot (I think the coaching staff likes Robert Brewster at RT so I think we'll go guard or center, but won't draft a tackle at all).

However, I think it's possible a guard can come in and bump Kosier to a reserve role. Five out of the six five interior linemen selected in 09' started every game they played (Eric Wood/Andy Levitre for BUF, Alex Mack for CLE, Max Unger for SEA and Louis Vasquez for SD). Three played in all 16 games (Mack, Unger and Levitre).

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I think the hopes and dreams of bumping Kosier are a bit premature myself. Guys, Kosier consistently grades out as first or second best lineman we have when healthy. We are not going to draft a rookie that is going to outplay him. If the club wants to make a move because of age or perhaps financial reasons, that's one thing but we are not going to draft somebody how beats him out straight up. That, to me, is far fetched.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
I would like this Draft to be OL heavy, but I just want to have realistic expectations about how quickly they contribute. Iupati is still my number one option as long as Rolando McClain is gone as I expect. If not, all bets are off.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;3262951 said:
I think the hopes and dreams of bumping Kosier are a bit premature myself. Guys, Kosier consistently grades out as first or second best lineman we have when healthy. We are not going to draft a rookie that is going to outplay him. If the club wants to make a move because of age or perhaps financial reasons, that's one thing but we are not going to draft somebody how beats him out straight up. That, to me, is far fetched.

We just need to draft quality O-line that can come in in a pinch, increase some competition amongst the starters (Build some Spark in Practice,) and be eventual future replacements. Doing nothing = Disaster by epic proportions and is irresponsible..

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
CowboyFan74;3263023 said:
We just need to draft quality O-line that can come in in a pinch, increase some competition amongst the starters (Build some Spark in Practice,) and be eventual future replacements. Doing nothing = Disaster by epic proportions and is irresponsible..

I agree. I am not in love with taking an OL in the 1st Rd that does not have the potential to start for us for many years at an impact position but I am in favor of drafting good quality prospects to compete for playing time along the OL. I do not like the idea of drafting a guard in the 1st Rd. I like the idea of drafting an OT but not a Guard. I tihnk there are quality guys later in the draft that we could go after. I hope we draft a good quality Tackle Prospect.

ArmyCowboy

Reaction score
If we draft a guard in the 1st, I don't think he'd start until 2011, when Kosier's contract expires.

As for a tackle, I can't see anyone selected with the 27th pick coming in and starting, either.

This is actually a good "proble" to have, because when you're in a situation where you're counting on a rookie being able to come in and start immediately, you're setting yourself up for failure.

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
Flozell Adams is considered an old man at 34 and people are ready to replace him; yet Gurode, Kosier, Davis and Colombo aren't spring chickens either at age 31. I am all for drafting offensive linemen even if they had no chance to start next year, because whether by age or injury, replacing those guys may have to happen sooner than imagined.

Natedawg44

Reaction score
:bang2:
burmafrd;3262816 said:
Pettiti was irrationally hated. I think like Roy is now. How can you hate someone who is clearly giving all he has. Ok he is no good but to me to hate someone who is giving 110% is just wrong.

I agree I would add Lynn Scott to that vein as well, I never understood it we gave nothing for him and all he gave us was his all.

(Unless you are talking about the PROCTOLOGIST)

DFWJC

Reaction score
Right on Hos.
The odds are VERY slim that you draft an o-lineman later than the middle of Rd1 and see that guy step right in and start. It's possible, but the odds are long.

Still, I'm all for taking dominant guys in the trenches early whenever they are available. With the exception of the truly rare can't miss skill guys (Fitz, A Johnson, A Peterson, etc) I choose big over small. You can get great skill guys later. Now if a you get lucky and a realy good skill guy falls to you (like how the Cards got lucky with Beanie last year), then go for it.

Reaction score
I have no expectation that the #27 pick, regardless of position, is going to be a Day 1 starter.

Teams that finish 11-5, win a division, win a playoff game, pick at #27, and is looking for greater things generally have a pretty good roster. It would take a lot for this pick to be a starter.

Most likely it would take an injury to the starter which would force him to play. He is not likely to play his way onto the field right away, regardless of position.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
RXP;3263391 said:
I have no expectation that the #27 pick, regardless of position, is going to be a Day 1 starter.

Teams that finish 11-5, win a division, win a playoff game, pick at #27, and is looking for greater things generally have a pretty good roster. It would take a lot for this pick to be a starter.

Most likely it would take an injury to the starter which would force him to play. He is not likely to play his way onto the field right away, regardless of position.
How dare you eschew fantasy for reality. For shame man.

Reaction score
[/B]
Hostile;3263396 said:
How dare you eschew fantasy for reality. For shame man.

OOPS!!

Forgot. It's the off-season. Time for rose colored glasses for all fans and to once again anoint the Commanders the off-season championship trophy for the 15th consecutive year.

Reality will return September 1. :p:

thewireman

Reaction score
O-Line is such a boring area to draft but it is needed, I would rather see a S and WR draft this year though, maybe get some OL in the middle rounds

burmafrd

Reaction score
honestly I would use this draft to carpet bomb O linemen. With our lousy record at developing and drafting O linemen over the last 10 years (2 guys -one starting -Gurode- one maybe starting- Free) we probably need to get at least 4 this draft to hope to have at least one step up and start some time.