U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Aug 20
9:35
AM CT
By Tim MacMahon | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas – Rookie receiver Terrance Williams ran the wrong route well.

Williams understands that isn’t as important as running the right route. He also comprehends why he made a mistake after Romo showed him where the safety was on the play during film review.

The mental mistake by Williams doesn’t necessarily excuse Romo’s errant throw, but Williams knows it’s up to him to prove he’s reliable if he wants the ball to keep coming to him.

The rookie has already learned a valuable lesson for a Cowboys receiver: Romo is always right.

More: http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4712993/rookie-williams-must-earn-romos-trust

Last edited:

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
That last state my is dumb it just sounds like a jab at Romo for no reason at all. Tim you are a Tool

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That last state my is dumb it just sounds like a jab at Romo for no reason at all. Tim you are a Tool

He's sort of become one, huh?

I agree, that statement was bait. At least it has the benefit of being right. The WRs on this team have to work to earn Romo's trust. At this point in his career, Romo's got a firm grasp on what he wants, and he's willing to own it. Even in his interviews, he refers to WRs doing what he wants them to do. I think it's a really good mentality for the offense, overall.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score

I didn't really read it that way... could have just been "the QB is always right". IOW, it's up to the rookie to get on the same page as the veteran QB, not vice versa.

I hope this doesn't mean we'll have a repeat of the Ogletree/early Dez era where they aren't even lined up right and Romo is pointing and waving as the play click winds down...

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I didn't really read it that way... could have just been "the QB is always right". IOW, it's up to the rookie to get on the same page as the veteran QB, not vice versa.

I hope this doesn't mean we'll have a repeat of the Ogletree/early Dez era where they aren't even lined up right and Romo is pointing and waving as the play click winds down...

Actually, you're right. I reread the article, and there's really nothing wrong with it.

morasp

Reaction score
Receivers being in the wrong place can lead to interceptions. Especially on timing throws. Even if a wrong route turns out to be a big gain it could easily be negated on the next one if it leads to an interception and a missed scoring opportunity. Robinson was productive for us because he ran the right routes.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

That's exactly what it means. If you go back and listen/read a Dez interview from TC, he said the exact same thing. It was up to him to get on the same page with Romo and not the other way around.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
IRVING, Texas – Rookie receiver Terrance Williams ran the wrong route well. It just wasn’t the route that Williams was supposed to run, based on the Cardinals’ coverage.

Williams understands that isn’t as important as running the right route. He also comprehends why he made a mistake after Romo showed him where the safety was on the play during film review.

He ran the right route adjustment, imo.

Romo showed him where the safety was during the film review, eh?

Guess where that safety was on the route T Will did run?

Answer: Nowhere near T Will.. who left the entire defense behind on his way to what would have been a clear TD had the ball been thrown to him.

Deep_South

Reaction score

Answer: Nowhere near T Will.. who left the entire defense behind on his way to what would have been a clear TD had the ball been thrown to him.

I'm kind of puzzled with the terminology here. How can you have a "right route adjustment" when running the wrong route? Williams still wasn't where he was supposed to be, which was running a crossing route. The explanation sounds oxymoronic to me.

If he had run the correct route, would there have been a completion if Romo got the ball to him?

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score

LOL, I had no idea it was subjective. If Romo said he made the wrong adjustment then he did. Your opinion that he made the right one is cute, though.

Have you ever played sports before? You're supposed to do what you're supposed to do. My coach in high school would scream and take me out of the game when I did something out of the offense, even if I made the shot. He would also scream at me if I did NOT shoot an open shot that came out of the flow of the offense. Team sports are about trust and bring relied upon to do what the rest of the team expects you to do. Doing the wrong thing and seemingly have it be a good choice doesn't change that.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Williams wasn't where he was supposed to be. I'm sure that impacted the play as did the overthrow.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
LOL, I had no idea it was subjective. If Romo said he made the wrong adjustment then he did. Your opinion that he made the right one is cute, though.

Have you ever played sports before? You're supposed to do what you're supposed to do. My coach in high school would scream and take me out of the game when I did something out of the offense, even if I made the shot. He would also scream at me if I did NOT shoot an open shot that came out of the flow of the offense. Team sports are about trust and bring relied upon to do what the rest of the team expects you to do. Doing the wrong thing and seemingly have it be a good choice doesn't change that.

How stupid are these receivers? Romo, despite all the other things he has going on, notices that the safety is playing in such a way that Williams should run a slant, but Williams, who's sole responsibility is to notice how the secondary is lined up, can't figure it out? You wonder what it must be like to live inside their heads, I wonder if there is an echo?

Staubacher

Reaction score
That's exactly what it means. If you go back and listen/read a Dez interview from TC, he said the exact same thing. It was up to him to get on the same page with Romo and not the other way around.

I agree with the sharp minds here. The Romo is always right statement is an organizational tool. Much like troops follow their commander into battle and fall in line with the orders. Doesn't mean the leader is *always* right, but it works better for everyone to be on the same page.

Besides, Romo is great at improvising when need be. As Williams grows, he will earn the trust and make big plays w Tony just like Dez does now. It takes time

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score

If he made the wrong adjutment, but ended up behind their entire defense, than who exactly read the coverage better?

hairic

Reaction score

He didn't show him on film review, he showed him pre-snap:
ps8hb4M.jpg

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
If he made the wrong adjutment, but ended up behind their entire defense, than who exactly read the coverage better?

Again, you're supposed to do what you're supposed to do. If you think the "right" adjustment was wrong then that is more of a question for the coaches. We have no idea what would have happened had he run it since he obviously didn't. A good question for the coaches would be "what are receivers told to do if the DB covering them falls down? Do you run your route or make a beeline to the end zone?" I know what I actually see NFL receivers usually do, but I'd be curious to know how each offense instructs them.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
Again, you're supposed to do what you're supposed to do. If you think the "right" adjustment was wrong then that is more of a question for the coaches. We have no idea what would have happened had he run it since he obviously didn't. A good question for the coaches would be "what are receivers told to do if the DB covering them falls down? Do you run your route or make a beeline to the end zone?" I know what I actually see NFL receivers usually do, but I'd be curious to know how each offense instructs them.

I mean, when i hear people use the excuse that Williams made the wrong route adjustment and that's partly what caused the overthrow, i just have to laugh to myself. It makes no sense. Tony saw what he was doing, and the ball went to the spot Williams was running to.

It especially makes me laugh because when L Rob was here, and he has his great chemistry with Tony, alot of that was improvisation by both of them. Very few times did any of L Rob's big catches come off of a set route. So Tony has plenty of experience with improvising the play and its one of the things he normally does very well.. so to say that T Will threw him off there is a weak argument, imo. (not that im saying that was your argument.)

I think you pose an interesting question though..it'd be cool to hear what JG has to say about that.