Twitter: Rookies DL Osa Odighizuwa and DE Chauncey Gholston Media Session Tweetcap - 05/14/21

conner01

Reaction score
I think Odighizuwa is going to surprise a lot of people. He was one of my favorite DTs in the draft. He’s tough against the run and can pressure the QB.

I honestly think he’ll be better out of the gate than Christian Barmore.
And he will be 290-295 after a full NFL off season and be just as quick
I don’t know if he will be better than Barmore but I do think he has a higher floor simply because he isn’t a star and he will be hungry. I love one trait I seen in this draft and that’s high effort players. You can overcome some lack of raw talent with drive, determination and pure effort

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I can believe that OWO is going to be better than Barmore as well. Barmore was inconsistent. Once the game got late was when Barmore was at his best. OWO was consistent from what I've seen. I'm excited to see what he does.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Same guy that coached up Malcolm Brown into a mediocre DT
You can point at 1 player to voice your displeasure, but there is no denying Belichick is a defensive mastermind who has led his team to 6 Super Bowl victories and some of the best defenses in NFL history.

So, yeah, I would quickly favor that "same guy" in Belichik over your poorly misinformed opinion.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

This is a problem. Some of them eventually get caught up in the glitz and glamor. This needs to be fixed. Those that do get caught up in the hoopla need to be taken through the Mote ditch. Get their heads straight.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
For everyone who keeps saying that Odighizuwa is a 34 DE… please note that they are practicing him at 43 3Tech DT. Because, they drafted him to be a 3 tech.

In his press conference, Quinn said that Odighizuwa would be a 3 tech, and mow he is practicing there.

Maybe people will believe now that he’s a 3.

I am not an expert with all this 3T, 5T, 7T, 9T stuff. I would want players with position flex. If he solely practices at the 3T, then the opposing teams will know where he is going to line up. I want someone who can move around and play in multiple positions on the defensive line. Of course, players are going to stunt and do other things.

Is the guy always going to line up at the 3T? I would hope for some surprise. I would think all the DT would be able to play all the Ts - 3T, 5T, etc.

Take me back to the good old days of 2 DEs and 2 DTs and move them around.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I am not an expert with all this 3T, 5T, 7T, 9T stuff. I would want players with position flex. If he solely practices at the 3T, then the opposing teams will know where he is going to line up. I want someone who can move around and play in multiple positions on the defensive line. Of course, players are going to stunt and do other things.

Is the guy always going to line up at the 3T? I would hope for some surprise. I would think all the DT would be able to play all the Ts - 3T, 5T, etc.

Take me back to the good old days of 2 DEs and 2 DTs and move them around.
Well, Odighizuwa certainly has some position flex. I mean, he easily could play the 5T DE spot but that position is less of a play making position. At the 5, you take on double teams (2-gap) and it is way more of a run stopping than pass rushing gig.

And while Osa can 2-gap and take on double teams… they drafted him because he has really good athleticism and can be an interior pass rusher, which is much more valuable and difficult to find than a 2-gapping run stuffer. A 3T is the star of the DT’s and he is schemed to face near-constant one-on-one matchups with the OG. A great 3 is worth way more than a run stuffer.

In free agency, Quinn picked up Urban and Watkins, both of which are run stuffers and can play at either of the 2-gap spots in Quinn’s defense. And they can do it well. But those spots aren’t difficult to fill so they didn’t cost much. Urban was one of the best run stoppers in the NFL last season but since he has little pass rush, he came relatively cheap. But neither He nor Watkins can play as the 3T. They just don’t have the athleticism to play it.

That’s why they’re playing Odighizuwa at the 3. He does have the athleticism and can become a star, seriously helping the Dallas pass rush if he can succeed there. And again, that is exactly where they drafted him to play.

Odighizuwa certainly is good against the run and he could be the 5DE or the 1DT (or 0NT)… but they need a guy that can rush the QB from inside because they really don’t have a proven commodity there yet. If they hit on Osa at the 3, it’ll be a home run because they are fairly rare.

Like Jimmy Johnson once said: “Run stoppers are a dime-a-dozen, but pass rushers are pretty rare.”

As far as the offense knowing where Osa is going to line up… They are going to know that someone will be playing the 3T position on pass rushing downs. They could move him around some if he’s really good, sure… but he, like Warren Sapp, or Geno Atkins, etc. before him, will spend the vast majority of the time playing as a 3T DT. It just doesn’t make much sense to put a really good athlete at the 5T DE or the NT when there is a need at the much more difficult to fill 3T.

I know it was long man… I apologize. I was just trying to convey how I see those DL positions.