Rooting for Hamlin & Watkins

sago1

Reaction score
I want Hamlin to have a great season at FS--maybe even make the pro bowl--but I also want Watkins to have a great season at FS & on the PS. Great play from both helps Cowboys to have a winning season & go deep into the playoffs. Once the postseason is over, Jerry can then wrestle with whether he wants to keep Hamlin or Watkins but admit I'll be rooting for Watkins but only if he's also shown high level of performance at FS.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
sago1;1503593 said:
I want Hamlin to have a great season at FS--maybe even make the pro bowl--but I also want Watkins to have a great season at FS & on the PS. Great play from both helps Cowboys to have a winning season & go deep into the playoffs. Once the postseason is over, Jerry can then wrestle with whether he wants to keep Hamlin or Watkins but admit I'll be rooting for Watkins but only if he's also shown high level of performance at FS.

What do you mean, on the "PS"?

:confused:

Bryan8284

Reaction score
You want Watkins to do well on the field and on the practice squad? He's not elgible for the PS to begin with.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Even with Hamlin starting at FS, when they go to 3rd and long and passing situations, Watkins will come in and move Hamlin to SS and Roy to the nickle back. So he will still be able to develop at the postion.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Considering the lack of success at finding someone to replace Woody, should Hamlin perform as I expect I would sign him to a long term deal. We need to be two deep at FS.

Achozen

Sounds From The Lair
Reaction score
To tell you the truth I want Watkins to play good enough to earn the job. I'm not knocking Hamlin but, something about having a 6'5 guy with 4.4 speed back there at safety intrigues me.

burmafrd

Reaction score
I don't care which one does it- as long as ONE of them STEPS up and gets it done.

ethiostar

Reaction score
The following article seems relevant for this thread so i posted it here. Sorry if it is a repost.

As of right now i believe the Boys are far better than where they were at FS last year. If Hamlin returns to his 2005 form then we will have arguably a top 3 or 5 tandam at the saftey position. I still have very high hopes for Watkins, i know he struggled last year but he was coming along just fine at the end of the season. with another year under his belt, learning from a guy like Hamlin, he can potentially be our FS for years to come.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/...MYSA051807.WEBCowboysInsider.en.7f2c6555.html

Cowboys Insider: If Watkins wants to start again, he needs to learn to speak up

Web Posted: 05/18/2007 09:33 AM CDT

Tom Orsborn
Express-News

Free safety Ken Hamlin isn't afraid to speak his mind.

And for the leadership-weak Dallas Cowboys, that's a good thing.

The Cowboys signed Hamlin in free agency to play center field and serve as the quarterback of the secondary. One of the problems last season with starting rookie Patrick Watkins opposite Roy Williams was the former Florida State standout's understandable reluctance to play traffic cop in a defensive backfield that include a perennial Pro Bowler (Williams) and two veteran corners (Anthony Henry and Terence Newman).

The 26-year-old Hamlin, the former Arkansas standout who received a one-year contract last month from Jerry Jones, won't have that problem, Cowboys defensive coordinator Brian Stewart says.

"I think Hamlin brings an awful lot to us and the reason why he does is that when you have a young guy (Watkins) who has to tell an All-Pro like Roy Williams, 'Do this,' and, 'Go there,' and, 'Back up,' and, 'I got him,' he may not say anything," Stewart says.

"But when you got a guy (Hamlin), a seasoned (four-year) veteran who has been a starter in this league and has played well, he doesn't mind saying things like, 'You get back. I'm coming down.' That's what Hamlin brings to us – he's a good communicator and also a very good player."

So have the Cowboys given up on the 6-foot-5 Watkins, a fifth-round choice, ever starting again?

No way, Stewart says.

Watkins recorded three interceptions last season in an up-and-down campaign that saw him begin the season as a starter, lose the job and then show flashes late after Bill Parcells again made him a regular.

"He has a lot to learn and he's young, but Watkins is a potential starter in this league," Stewart says. "When you are paired up with Roy Williams and you are fresh out of Florida State, there are not a lot of things you feel you can tell Roy Williams to do.

"But now that you have an older guy (Hamlin) who is telling Roy how to do it, Pat has a chance to watch how it's done and once you watch how it's done, you can put your own personality on it when you are a starter."

With Hamlin signing only a one-year deal, Watkins could still be the team's free safety of the future.

Of course, it all depends on whether he can find his voice.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Good teams have some depth.

Personally, I'd love to see Hamlin step in and show what he did the first three years of his career and the 1st part of last season. If he's that guy there is no question in my mnd that we should lock him up long-term.

Watkins has great potential as well. If we are going to use Roy at LB in nickel or dime situations then there will be TONS of playing time for Watkins and Hamlin as Ken can slide over to SS in those situations.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
dangerdoom4124;1503701 said:
To tell you the truth I want Watkins to play good enough to earn the job. I'm not knocking Hamlin but, something about having a 6'5 guy with 4.4 speed back there at safety intrigues me.
Ditto.

sago1

Reaction score
Yep. Understand our trainer also told Watkins that. He supposedly also told some of the vets on this team that they should take Watkins out to dinner and make sure he eats very well & nutrionally(sp?) good food. I wonder what Watkins weighs now; hopefully he worked out extensively and followed training staff direction. I bet that 7th rounder CB we drafted, Ball (the skinny 186 pounder) has already been given menu to go eat at which restaurants and what to enter. Ball and Watkins need to sit side by side at the dinner table and stay away from the salad bar. Ha.