CFZ Roster Building: Draft and Develop vs the modern cap era method

Ring6

StarSchema
Reaction score
the Cowboys used to be the tip of the technological spear, being the first team to use computers for anything, for instance. Everyone knew Dallas was technologically superior at this point in time.

so, as for the philosophical question - has the draft and develop philosophy been supplanted by single season free agent gobbling as the most effective way to reach the top? Recent results say yes.

I doubt this has gone unnoticed by decision makers in big D.

So, now, we must ask why no change in Dallas.

I think it boils down to one of two reasons why: Either (1) you can make more money (not spend as much) staying status quo and being unwilling to risk dead money, or (2) its just plain stubbornness to change/pride to not change.

Many folks think its the stubbornness/pride/ego thing.

I definitely think its the money thing. They are not as simple-minded as some think. A lot of people make a lot of money crunching numbers for the Jones fam. I'd guess pretty darn good financial minds are involved.

At some point, the value of a championship will bubble up to the top of the priority list, as determined by those minds. When it does, we will probably see the change. Until then, we will just hope we get lucky.

75boyz

Reaction score
the Cowboys used to be the tip of the technological spear, being the first team to use computers for anything, for instance. Everyone knew Dallas was technologically superior at this point in time.

so, as for the philosophical question - has the draft and develop philosophy been supplanted by single season free agent gobbling as the most effective way to reach the top? Recent results say yes.

I think it boils down to one of two reasons why: Either (1) you can make more money (not spend as much) staying status quo and being unwilling to risk dead money, or (2) its just plain stubbornness to change/pride to not change.

I definitely think its the money thing. They are not as simple-minded as some think. A lot of people make a lot of money crunching numbers for the Jones fam. I'd guess pretty darn good financial minds are involved.

At some point, the value of a championship will bubble up to the top of the priority list, as determined by those minds. When it does, we will probably see the change. Until then, we will just hope we get lucky.
Really well thought out and insightful post. Had not considered this different perspective.

But I remember a recent post in which someone else was saying that with all the Joneses various investments, that dead money lost on Cowboys contracts represented a lost million or whatever amount that could have been invested in other places.

I had never considered the football team pot of money allocation as just a minor piece of their overall pot of money investments before then.

Great job again, man.

Last edited:

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
The ones winning SBs lately…or even getting close.
  • Chiefs GM Brett Veach
  • Tampa GM Jason Licht
  • Rams GM Les Snead
  • SF GM John Lynch
  • eagles GM Howie Roseman
Have they actually said that or are you assuming they said that?

plymkr

Reaction score
Qs6uxbV.jpg

It is the eyes. Some find them... hypnotic...
The dark side of the force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be….unnatural.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

For years, I wish I had actual numbers but the NFL and the Dallas Cowboys are private entities. Exact numbers are guesses based on the one franchise, the Green Bay Packers, which does release numbers.

Dallas' operating net profit is guessed at $466 million. That is a staggering number that does not go into Jerry Jones' pocket. Jones' net income is far less. Exactly how much is not known. The total percentage of any cost savings from player contracts do not go directly into Jones' pocket either.

The greed argument would hold more weigh if the franchise's operations were Jones' sole source of income. It is not. Jones specifies what is:

“The greatest wealth is in the gas. It’s much bigger than the Cowboys.” (link)

Jones' stock liquidity is as much as $4 billion plus. It is relatively easy to convert it to cash. Jones' liquidity in his franchise is far harder to convert and far less unless he sold the team. That is not happening.

Whatever money anyone thinks Jones is saving by not spending is nothing compared to the actual money he has available to him that is totally independent of everything connected to the NFL.

It is not about the money. It is kinda about ego but it is the worst version a.k.a. narcissism.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I think Dak is best when he's off-schedule and trying to make plays. That doesn’t mean he's excused from making the occasional what-the-heck decision throwing into double coverage.

The stats show he also does better when the Cowboys can help him out with a 100-yeard rusher (balanced offense seems to be a no-brainer). McCarthy seems to abandon the run every chance he gets. That's coaching or lack thereof.

Dak has had the likes of Jason Garrett, Scott Linehan, Kellen Moore, and Mike McCarthy designing and calling offensive plays for him.

Again, I am not excusing Dak's poor play in crucial moments. I am just saying he's never had elite offensive coaching or the kind of head coach who will insist he improves on his deficiencies.
I disagree..

Dak’s a great front runner.

An improviser? Not so much.

I think hes way better then Romo at running a system but where Romo trounces him is when chaos happens and plays need to be made.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I think hes way better then Romo at running a system but where Romo trounces him is when chaos happens and plays need to be made.
Mentally, yes, I agree. Romo was a creative improviser.

Dak's better when he's moving, rolling out with an option to run.

Flamma

Reaction score
I disagree..

Dak’s a great front runner.

An improviser? Not so much.

Yes, a front runner. I thought we were always in a game with Romo, and if it was close. I have zero confidence in Dak in the final 2 minutes.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Well said. But remember - the NFL has a salary floor as well as a salary cap. Teams do not have to spend all the allowed money, but they must spend at least the floor which is somewhere around 90-95% of cap space.

In other words, being cheap is not really a thing like it can be in Major League Baseball. The NFL does not allow teams to tank financially by low balling their cap space. They can save a little- like 5-10% but that’s it. So thinking Jerry is “saving money” this year is unlikely.

Big_D

Reaction score
Boils down to the fact that you have to draft and develop AND utilize FA. It’s not one or the other. In the world of 4 year contracts the system is setup this way for a reason. Know when to move on and when to spend in free agency. The Cowboys haven’t figured out either of these things.

Cowboys4lifeGR

Reaction score
Not that I’m disagreeing with you because you’re right. What I don’t get is how does a coaching staff effectively game plan during the season but don’t game plan for the playoffs? So it could be a couple things:
1. Our team talent is good enough to beat up on average or below average teams in the regular season but come playoff time we struggle with equal talent or more talented teams.
2. Our coaches “coached scared” in the playoffs and forget all Xs and Os and just wing it.
3. Our players and coaches care more about self promotion than football. Football is just a means to an end and not the priority.

I think it’s all 3. I think playing in the NFC East inflates our record and our talent isn’t as good as we hope it is. I feel we as fans “like our guys” a little too much as well and overrate them. I feel the coaches can’t effectively coach with Jerry undermining them and I feel Jerry’s marketing of the product instead of fixing the product wears off on the players. They adapt that marketing priority as well.

To sum it up I agree the FO puts talent on the field but that talent is overrated, heartless, and care more about self promotion than winning. Then our coaches can’t coach as well as the big daddies in the league. It’s a destructive cycle that needs to change.
Excellent reply Plymkr. 1000% agree.

:hammer:

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Their actions and results say that. They are the most aggressive in the off-season and their teams are winning a ton of playoff games, including SBs.
So just an assumption. This is a pet peeve of mine. People stating something as fact here, when it’s just an assumption, or opinion. It would be ok if you just said this is my opinion.