CFZ Roster Holes

Jumbo075

Reaction score
As a lead up to the draft next week, it is worth considering what positions on the Cowboys for which a 1st round pick would potentially become a day 1 starter. Going back over the last 5 drafts, take a look at the Cowboys’ #1 picks:

2018 - LB Leighton Vander Esch
2019 - 1st round pick traded for WR Amari Cooper
2020 - WR CeeDee Lamb
2021 - LB Micah Parsons
2022 - OT Tyler Smith

That is 5 1st round picks for 5 day 1 starters, if you include WR3 as a starter in 2020.

Overall, since 2018, here are the starters produced in each draft.

2018: LB Leighton Vander Esch*, OG Connor Williams, WR Michael Gallup, DE Dorance Armstrong, TE Dalton Schultz, QB Mike White (started 7 games for Jets)

2019: OG Connor McGovern, RB Tony Pollard*, CB Michael Jackson (started 17 games for Seattle last year), S Donovan Wilson

2020: WR CeeDee Lamb*, CB Trevon Diggs*, DT Neville Gallimore (started 9 games as a rookie), Tyler Biadasz*

2021: LB Micah Parsons*, DT Osa Odighizuwa,

2022: OT Tyler Smith

Obviously, the Cowboys were unwise to cut CB Michael Jackson since he never cleared waivers and has become a starter in Seattle. They could have used him last year. And Gallimore has regresssd since his rookie season. Even removing Jackson, White and Gallimore, the Cowboys have netted 14 starters (so far) from their last 5 drafts. And TE Jake Ferguson, LB Damone Clark and CB DaRon Bland are poised to become starters in 2023. Others like DB Israel Mukuamu and OG Matt Farniok are going to be given a chance to be starters soon.

Having said all that, looking at the Cowboys current roster, what are the positions with roster holes at which a rookie 1st round pick is most likely to be able to step in as a Day 1 starter for this team? That might be a hint at what players the Cowboys might be considering for their 1st overall pick on Thursday night next week.

* Indicates Pro Bowl selection

Last edited:

morasp

Reaction score
Picking at 26 not too many.

LG would get a chance
I think Drew Sanders would be in the rotation early on
Hyatt could see the field early doing the same thing he did at Tennessee
Mayer could earn a starting spot
Robinson could be an early starter
An edge rusher could see early rotation on passing downs
DT would probably get in the rotation early DQ is pretty good about that.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
Picking at 26 not too many.

LG would get a chance
I think Drew Sanders would be in the rotation early on
Hyatt could see the field early doing the same thing he did at Tennessee
Mayer could earn a starting spot
Robinson could be an early starter
An edge rusher could see early rotation on passing downs
DT would probably get in the rotation early DQ is pretty good about that.
Personally, I think RB, TE and OG are the best options for a day 1 starter, although a premium DT would also have a chance. I don’t think a DE, CB, S or LB would be a day 1 starter. WR, QB, OC, and OT are set on offense in the short term.

Looking at Jane Slater’s recent tweet (referenced in the Draft Forum), she thinks the Cowboys top targets are RB Bijan Robinson - who would likely require a trade up to get, TE Michael Mayer, and OL Darnell Wright - who the Cowboys would convert to OG like they did with Zack Martin in 2014. Do you see any top DT’s that would replace Hankins or Odighizuwa as starters?

morasp

Reaction score
Personally, I think RB, TE and OG are the best options for a day 1 starter, although a premium DT would also have a chance. I don’t think a DE, CB, S or LB would be a day 1 starter. WR, QB, OC, and OT are set on offense in the short term.

Looking at Jane Slater’s recent tweet (referenced in the Draft Forum), she thinks the Cowboys top targets are RB Bijan Robinson - who would likely require a trade up to get, TE Michael Mayer, and OL Darnell Wright - who the Cowboys would convert to OG like they did with Zack Martin in 2014. Do you see any top DT’s that would replace Hankins or Odighizuwa as starters?
Sounds about right. But the way DQ rotates players I could see LB and Edge rusher playing in games early in the season though not technically starters. WR usually has a learning curve but as I mentioned if Hyatt can make defenses alter their coverage as a deep threat he wouldn't have too much of a learning curve and would probably see the field early to the benefit of both the running game and underneath routes.

The tier two DTs that would be available when we pick would need work on technique but if they earned it DQ would probably get them on the field early.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
Dumb answer with a personal agenda. You already know the Cowboys aren’t planning on finding a replacement for Dak this year, and any QB they draft wouldn’t be a day 1 starter unless both Dak and Cooper Rush get injured in training camp. There is 0% chance the Cowboys spend a 1st round pick on a QB this year.

So, why waste our time with your comment. It adds nothing of value to the thread, which is intended to be a legitimate question about what position the Cowboys can get a Day 1 starter. Frankly, I resent you including your comment in this thread. It is an insult to every other forum member. If you wish to bash Dak, and there may be many reasons to do so, please start your own thread so like-minded forum members can comment. But otherwise, please stop polluting other threads with your single minded agenda - no matter how legitimate it may or may not be.

Jipper

Reaction score
Dumb answer with a personal agenda. You already know the Cowboys aren’t planning on finding a replacement for Dak this year, and any QB they draft wouldn’t be a day 1 starter unless both Dak and Cooper Rush get injured in training camp. There is 0% chance the Cowboys spend a 1st round pick on a QB this year.

So, why waste our time with your comment. It adds nothing of value to the thread, which is intended to be a legitimate question about what position the Cowboys can get a Day 1 starter. Frankly, I resent you including your comment in this thread. It is an insult to every other forum member. If you wish to bash Dak, and there may be many reasons to do so, please start your own thread so like-minded forum members can comment. But otherwise, please stop polluting other threads with your single minded agenda - no matter how legitimate it may or may not be.
I may be wrong but I kinda thought he was being sarcastic given that the comment is expected from the usual suspects anyway...hence why he bolded and upsized the font...

75boyz

Reaction score

What if his opinion is that starting QB should be the position that is addressed in the draft to replace the current starter?
Is he not entitled to that opinion or is this post limited to just your opinion of what positions may be open for draftees to start at?

I mean, are opinions being regulated?

Just my opinion, of course.
Now insult me, lol.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
As a lead up to the draft next week, it is worth considering what positions on the Cowboys for which a 1st round pick would potentially become a day 1 starter. Going back over the last 5 drafts, take a look at the Cowboys’ #1 picks:

2018 - LB Leighton Vander Esch
2019 - 1st round pick traded for WR Amari Cooper
2020 - WR CeeDee Lamb
2021 - LB Micah Parsons
2022 - OT Tyler Smith

That is 5 1st round picks for 5 day 1 starters, if you include WR3 as a starter in 2020.

Overall, since 2018, here are the starters produced in each draft.

2018: LB Leighton Vander Esch*, OG Connor Williams, WR Michael Gallup, DE Dorance Armstrong, TE Dalton Schultz, QB Mike White (started 7 games for Jets)

2019: OG Connor McGovern, RB Tony Pollard*, CB Michael Jackson (started 17 games for Seattle last year), S Donovan Wilson

2020: WR CeeDee Lamb*, CB Trevon Diggs*, DT Neville Gallimore (started 9 games as a rookie), Tyler Biadasz*

2021: LB Micah Parsons*, DT Osa Odighizuwa,

2022: OT Tyler Smith

Obviously, the Cowboys were unwise to cut CB Michael Jackson since he never cleared waivers and has become a starter in Seattle. They could have used him last year. And Gallimore has regresssd since his rookie season. Even removing Jackson, White and Gallimore, the Cowboys have netted 14 starters (so far) from their last 5 drafts. And TE Jake Ferguson, LB Damone Clark and CB DaRon Bland are poised to become starters in 2023. Others like DB Israel Mukuamu and OG Matt Farniok are going to be given a chance to be starters soon.

Having said all that, looking at the Cowboys current roster, what are the positions with roster holes at which a rookie 1st round pick is most likely to be able to step in as a Day 1 starter for this team? That might be a hint at what players the Cowboys might be considering for their 1st overall pick on Thursday night next week.

* Indicates Pro Bowl selection
Renting Cooper for 3 years at 20 million was not worth a first round pick. LVE has been a disappointment despite his overblown rookie year. He has been a solid starter, nothing more. The rest are great picks.

The 2nd round has been nearly an every other year disaster.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
What if his opinion is that starting QB should be the position that is addressed in the draft to replace the current starter?
Is he not entitled to that opinion or is this post limited to just your opinion of what positions may be open for draftees to start at?

Now insult me, lol.
The question wasn’t what position do think the Cowboys should replace. It was what position do you think the Cowboys would pick to be a day 1 starter. QB was just an idiotic response. Not only that, it was a rude response. Pushing the anti-Dak agenda into every thread is disrespectful and rude to other forum members, even if it was meant jokingly. I don’t mind if someone is anti-Dak. I mind that the topic is forced into every conversation. And there isn’t a single fan, not one, who believes that the Cowboys are going to spend their top pick on a QB to replace Dak this coming September. Not even the staunchly anti-Dak people believe that.

Pass2Run

Reaction score

Why so salty?

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

giphy.gif

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Now insult me, lol.
:clap: :clap: :clap:

75boyz

Reaction score
Sounds good.
But if he believes as his own personal opinion that a rookie draftee should be the starter over Dak then I am not gonna criticize him by saying my opinion is more right because I started this thread and you either follow the guidelines or it is an idiotic response.

I may not like his opinion but then Im not gonna childishly play this my opinion is more right than yours stance because I started the thread and you're not following the rules. So your opinion doesn't count.

Opinions are opinions.
Everybody's got em.
Nobody's are more right than the next person's.

And you started the thread so you are definitely entitled to your opinion.

But so am I.
No different.
Neither more right than the other.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
Sounds good.
But if he believes as his own personal opinion that a rookie draftee should be the starter over Dak then I am not gonna criticize him by saying my opinion is more right because I started this thread and you either follow the guidelines or it is an idiotic response.

I may not like his opinion but then Im not gonna childishly play this my opinion is more right than yours stance because I started the thread and you're not following the rules. So your opinion doesn't count.

Opinions are opinions.
Everybody's got em.
Nobody's are more right than the next person's.

And you started the thread so you are definitely entitled to your opinion.

But so am I.
No different.
Neither more right than the other.
It is rude to introduce Dak into a non-Dak related thread. It just is.