Roster thoughts

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I see each player as a probability. The more options with talent the better the probability of getting production from the position.

IMO, the Cowboys are doing a better job of giving themselves a lot of options in recent years; whereas, in some past years they over focused on the top players at the positions and when they got injured (or quit like Ratliff) they were scrambling to find bodies to play.

LB is a good example. Instead of spending big there on 1 or 2 players, they added solid veterans that were better than minimum wage backups. There is a little extra cost paying Brinkley and Gachkar around 2M instead of the 700K minimum, but Lee is the only guy getting significant money so it evens out. They even added Rivers in FA and the signing of Watson last season seemed to be geared towards 2015. With only 2 LBs in the Nickel which was well over 50% of the snaps last season, they really have a lot of LBs. In past years they probably would have added one big dollar FA and the backups would have been a cast of guys like Cam Lawrence.

My concern this year is CB and Safety. They basically need 3 starters at CB but really only have one reliable one. I'm fine with the starting Safeties, but there is not much behind them unless you want to see more of Jeff Heath.

The other concern is the backup OT. They really seem to like Weems but at some point he has to prove himself. I'm not sure if they see Hawkins as an OT or OG. Their assessment of these guys is really critical. If they are legit options, then they'll be less likely to draft one early, but with Romo's health being the team top priority and Doug Free having 2 ankle surgeries in a 1 year time-span and now being 31, they can't afford to be wrong.

Finally, DE is not deep. Lawrence, Mincey and Hardy with Hardy currently suspended for the beginning of the season. Both the starter and primary backup at LDE from last season are gone (Selvie and Spencer). Gardner will be like having a draft pick this year, but he was not a late round pick because of injury. Jack Crawford's best game last season was at DT. Boatright and Edwards didn't play that much last season and were not really wow players in college.

IMO DT is similar to LB in that they have a lot of options. There are question about the starting 1tech, but it's a heavy rotation regardless. Josh Brent would be an ideal 1tech in the base if he gets back to his pre-wreck form. He was never in shape last season. T. McClain was never healthy last season but flashed nice ability as a 1/3 tech combo. Ken Bishop appeared better physically than Hayden but was really raw as a small college rookie. Chris Whaley was a udfa because he was injured before the draft and would be forced to redshirt is rookie year. He looks really good in game footage and likely would have been a mid round pick if not injured. Coleman is talented by goofy. If appears that Hardy might slap the goofy out of him. The Cowboys didn't really have that Star type play on the DL last year to influence guys like Coleman. Jack Crawford's best game was the 1 where he moved from DE to DT. Hardy and Mincey have both played a lot of snaps at DT in their careers.

Macnalty

Reaction score
I so agree that DE is not deep, CB is next problem.
OOdiggy or Henry Anderson would help the DE ranks via the Draft, some say Frank Clark DE
Pick your poison for the CB depending on which round we decide to chose. Like we have discussed before at 27 the top 4 CB could be gone. Waynes, Peters, Johnson, and B Jones
At 60 we will be deciding on maybe Rowe, PJ Williams, J Collins or possibly someone with an injury.
Nice point about Ben Gardner, I have heard he misses few roll calls at the weightroom.
Coleman needs to show some fire this training camp.
Josh Brent in shape would make that Dline stronger hope he has made the most of this opportunity..

itsaboat

Reaction score
Dallas will find a CB in the first 2 rounds in this years draft who should be able to come in an play immediately. Drafting a second corner in the middle rounds wouldn't be a bad idea.

Gregory or Ray may start falling in the 1st if teams don't like their off the field problems but I wouldn't count on it. There are options at LDE in the 2nd and 3rd rounds with guys such as P.Smith, M.Edwards, T.Flowers, Z.Smith, F.Clark, etc who could become starters.

I think Dallas wants to find an athletic safety with size at some point in the draft. Wilcox can cover man if needed but Church was spelled by Heath when teams spread us out. That's fine in small doses but not ideal. Tartt, Sample, Prewitt, Harris, Geathers are all better athletes and possible options.

Backup offensive lineman is the spot I'm concerned with because I don't know what Weems and the other guys look like.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I cannot wait to watch all the meltdowns that's going to be happening on Draft days. Right here. On the forums- are we going to have a Live Chat??? Oh Gawd I hope so!
I'm going to be sitting here... plenty of hard liquor and various other medications by my side...
I went and got those little umbrellas that they put in your drinks when you order those ridiculously sweet conflagrations like Mai Tai's and Blue Hawaiians (my favorite band...) so I can put them in my bottles of beer and Collins' of Scotch and Tequila drinks.

Just going to kick back and watch the world burn on this site all day for days.

Glorious. Absolutely glorious. I love the Draft!

Edit: I'm in such a good mood I'm handing out likes to every poster on this page! It's a Likepocalypse!

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Dallas will find a CB in the first 2 rounds in this years draft who should be able to come in an play immediately. Drafting a second corner in the middle rounds wouldn't be a bad idea.

Gregory or Ray may start falling in the 1st if teams don't like their off the field problems but I wouldn't count on it. There are options at LDE in the 2nd and 3rd rounds with guys such as P.Smith, M.Edwards, T.Flowers, Z.Smith, F.Clark, etc who could become starters.

I think Dallas wants to find an athletic safety with size at some point in the draft. Wilcox can cover man if needed but Church was spelled by Heath when teams spread us out. That's fine in small doses but not ideal. Tartt, Sample, Prewitt, Harris, Geathers are all better athletes and possible options.

Backup offensive lineman is the spot I'm concerned with because I don't know what Weems and the other guys look like.

Maybe so on the CB in 2nd but I keep hearing talk of Safety Damarious Randall as someone the Cowboys like a lot. Granted a lot of talk going on this time of year but given Dallas is at #27 I would not be surprised to see Dallas move out of the 1st and pick up extra picks in the 2nd and 3rd rd.

itsaboat

Reaction score
Maybe so on the CB in 2nd but I keep hearing talk of Safety Damarious Randall as someone the Cowboys like a lot. Granted a lot of talk going on this time of year but given Dallas is at #27 I would not be surprised to see Dallas move out of the 1st and pick up extra picks in the 2nd and 3rd rd.

If that option presents itself I would probably support it

dallasdave

Reaction score
The draft should be about a top RB and draft a least 2 CB's if not 3 CB's

sureletsrace

Official CZ Homer
Reaction score
The biggest priority for me would be to draft a CB in the first 2 rounds.

We don't even have starters. Cannot go into this season relying on Claiborne and Carr.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I so agree that DE is not deep, CB is next problem.
OOdiggy or Henry Anderson would help the DE ranks via the Draft, some say Frank Clark DE
Pick your poison for the CB depending on which round we decide to chose. Like we have discussed before at 27 the top 4 CB could be gone. Waynes, Peters, Johnson, and B Jones
At 60 we will be deciding on maybe Rowe, PJ Williams, J Collins or possibly someone with an injury.
Nice point about Ben Gardner, I have heard he misses few roll calls at the weightroom.
Coleman needs to show some fire this training camp.
Josh Brent in shape would make that Dline stronger hope he has made the most of this opportunity..

Rowe at 60 would be the steal of the draft.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

There is a big gap between the guys I have rated as the top 5 CBs and the next one in terms of readiness and the top 4 will likely go in the 1st round.

There are 2 or 3 really good developmental CBs mid/late.

Aven8

Reaction score
I cannot wait to watch all the meltdowns that's going to be happening on Draft days. Right here. On the forums- are we going to have a Live Chat??? Oh Gawd I hope so!
I'm going to be sitting here... plenty of hard liquor and various other medications by my side...
I went and got those little umbrellas that they put in your drinks when you order those ridiculously sweet conflagrations like Mai Tai's and Blue Hawaiians (my favorite band...) so I can put them in my bottles of beer and Collins' of Scotch and Tequila drinks.

Edit: I'm in such a good mood I'm handing out likes to every poster on this page! It's a Likepocalypse!

I will be right there with you after we draft 4 DB's, a FB, and an OT out of Homer St! ;)

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I will be right there with you after we draft 4 DB's, a FB, and an OT out of Homer St! ;)

We might have to break out the lawn chairs and the Micheladas with beef jerky and shrimp soaking inside for this one.

mattjames2010

Reaction score

People talk about Church and Wilcox being slow, it takes Randall 15 minutes to return the few INTs he gets.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
People talk about Church and Wilcox being slow, it takes Randall 15 minutes to return the few INTs he gets.

He ran a 4.46 at Indy which is a not very favorable track. His short area burst and long speed actually stood out from the 3 games I watched.

He takes bad angles and doesn't see the field well in pursuit but I am not qualified to really speak to whether or not that could be coached up in that particular player. But if Henderson, Marinelli, and Garrett bring him in and say they can teach him and have particular plans and techniques that will fix the identified issues then I am fine with them being high on him.

We don't have inside information and the Cowboys to my mind have earned a bit of the benefit of the doubt.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
I agree with you X.......our two biggest issues are DB and DE, with backup OT being our 3rd.

I would not be upset if our entire draft consisted of DB, DE, and OL......also, if our draft fell this way, I would be absolutely jacked.....

1 - CB Byron Jones
2 - CB Eric Rowe
3 - DE ZaDarius Smith
4 - DE Henry Anderson
5 - OT Chaz Green / OG Mark Glowinski
7 - OT Laurence Gibson
7 - S Suite

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score

I'm going to create a mixed drink to sell during the draft. I'll call it "the second round TE".