Roster Updated

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Will Hurns likely be cut or get an injury settlement.

Would an injury settlement effect our cap?
None of his salary is guaranteed so he can be cut without eating his base salary

But he is due back in August so he wouldn't miss any games.... so any Injury Settlement would be small if anything

It would count against the cap if it happens

Reaction score
None of his salary is guaranteed so he can be cut without eating his base salary

But he is due back in August so he wouldn't miss any games.... so any Injury Settlement would be small if anything

It would count against the cap if it happens

Over the Cap shows him with 1.25 dead money if cut in 2019. I'm guessing that's based on the 2.5 million dollar signing bonus and 'assuming' we split that into two years. Whereas if we actually paid him the full 2.5 in 2018 we would not owe him anything. I'm assuming that's where 'sometimes' over the cap is not the authority since they have to 'assume' sometimes.

This is where I always get confused because the league rules and transparency in cap numbers can get confusing.

For Example if towards the end of the year Jerry looked at the (2018) cap space and determined we have the money could he pay him that other 1.25 million in bonus (guarantee) we would then be able to release in 2019 with no dead money. Could we even do that or are there rules when we can pay out the bonus on a yearly basis?

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Over the Cap shows him with 1.25 dead money if cut in 2019. I'm guessing that's based on the 2.5 million dollar signing bonus and 'assuming' we split that into two years. Whereas if we actually paid him the full 2.5 in 2018 we would not owe him anything. I'm assuming that's where 'sometimes' over the cap is not the authority since they have to 'assume' sometimes.

This is where I always get confused because the league rules and transparency in cap numbers can get confusing.

For Example if towards the end of the year Jerry looked at the (2018) cap space and determined we have the money could he pay him that other 1.25 million in bonus (guarantee) we would then be able to release in 2019 with no dead money. Could we even do that or are there rules when we can pay out the bonus on a yearly basis?
you had it right the first time

he was paid a 2.5m signing bonus in 2018.......1.25m counts in 2018 and 1.25m counts in 2019 even though he was paid the full amount in 2018.... it is just an accounting trick that saves Cap Space in 2018 and pushes it to 2019

That is what Dead Money is.... it the bill for money that was already paid but not yet accounted for on the cap...... it is a smart way to handle the cap since the cap goes up every year..... the more you push into the future when the cap is higher the better..... Dead Money is not a bad thing

Dead Money is an interest free loan of cap space...... If I can clear 50m in cap space in 2019 by pushing it into the next 4 years at 10m a pop I will still be paying 10m in 2023 but the cap will be 40-60m higher by then...... the 40m in space today is way more valuable since the cap is lower

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score

OTC is the Bible for Cap web sites

the guy is 100% committed to getting things right and writes several articles a year explaining all related topics

Last edited:
Reaction score
you had it right the first time

he was paid a 2.5m signing bonus in 2018.......1.25m counts in 2018 and 1.25m counts in 2019 even though he was paid the full amount in 2018.... it is just an accounting trick that saves Cap Space in 2018 and pushes it to 2019

That is what Dead Money is.... it the bill for money that was already paid but not yet accounted for on the cap...... it is a smart way to handle the cap since the cap goes up every year..... the more you push into the future when the cap is higher the better..... Dead Money is not a bad thing

Dead Money is an interest free loan of cap space...... If I can clear 50m in cap space in 2019 by pushing it into the next 4 years at 10m a pop I will still be paying 10m in 2023 but the cap will be 40-60m higher by then...... the 40m in space today is way more valuable since the cap is lower

That's where I was getting it wrong. I thought it was an 'accurate' reflection of when the money was paid, I think that has messed up some of my understanding before. Working in IT and having to do budgets and purchasing, I understand full well the accounting 'tricks' LOL. Thanks!

Basically it doesn't matter when and how the money was payed, it only matters how it is reported. (Guaranteed money that is)

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
That's where I was getting it wrong. I thought it was an 'accurate' reflection of when the money was paid, I think that has messed up some of my understanding before. Working in IT and having to do budgets and purchasing, I understand full well the accounting 'tricks' LOL. Thanks!

Basically it doesn't matter when and how the money was payed, it only matters how it is reported. (Guaranteed money that is)
Signing bonuses can be spread over 5 years

So if you give Dak a 30m signing bonus he will only be charged 6m a year for 5 years on the cap