Rotational players, 17 game season

blueblood70

Reaction score
It'd be nice just to have 4 quality starting DL. Then we can worry about depth.
I truly believe we may have those on this roster..TC will sort that out..I know they arent big names but how many Aaron Donalds exist>? not many but the next tier i believe with the options DQ has, he will find the 4 main starters and then a rotation to back them up..

with not many team running a true 3-4 or 4-3 and making constant adjustments to offense packages , not many of the same 3-4 DL stay in the game long..rotations are now normal given alignment changes play to play or series to series..

NFL football is no longer even what it was in the 90s..nothigs static packages and rotational special grouping are in constant flux..

Scotman

Reaction score
I truly believe we may have those on this roster..TC will sort that out..I know they arent big names but how many Aaron Donalds exist>? not many but the next tier i believe with the options DQ has, he will find the 4 main starters and then a rotation to back them up..

with not many team running a true 3-4 or 4-3 and making constant adjustments to offense packages , not many of the same 3-4 DL stay in the game long..rotations are now normal given alignment changes play to play or series to series..

NFL football is no longer even what it was in the 90s..nothigs static packages and rotational special grouping are in constant flux..

I think this as well. One, our last DC never got the players to buy it. That was obvious. Quinn already has more buy in from the players. As a result, we really don't know exactly where the guys are that played last year. Second, we've added free agents and valuable draft picks.

Not just the line, I'm optimistic about the defense as a whole. I believe this defense could climb into the upper half of of defenses around the league before the end of the year.

John813

Reaction score
s much flack as he got he was correct in his statement, not all payers on the field at all times are actually in the paly and going 100%, its natural when say a WR on the opposite side if the field goes 70% as decoy and jogs to you and stops to act like hes blocking but the play is all the way in the other side and would be completed no matter how hard you run..those types of pays have some offense and defensive players going 70% because they arent in the play.,.so yes you use those plays to gain blow..

this happens its obvious you never played because you would know this

you think this PRO payer said this if it weren't true..he may have needed to not syi it at the time he said it but doesnt make him a lazy or wrong..it happens on many plays..and yes players need breathers regardless of how great shape they are in..

ironic a bunch of keyboard jocks trying to shame Pro player on what kind of shape they are in..lmao...

this is NOT Golf homie, so grab your clubs or your joystick controllers and stay out of pros business..

It's was a joke not a dick, don't take it so hard next time chief.

fivetwos

Reaction score
did they expand the roster over the extra game? i never read that but if they are keeping the old 53 that insane..
I had the same question.

Thing is....extra roster spots mean two more salaries to pay.

Those extra 60 or so (figuring two extra spots per team) players will all still be around....just not getting paid.

Bean counter move.

John813

Reaction score
I had the same question.

Thing is....extra roster spots mean two more salaries to pay.

Those extra 60 or so (figuring two extra spots per team) players will all still be around....just not getting paid.

Bean counter move.

ROSTER SIZES

Active ("Gameday") list: If a team has a minimum of eight offensive linemen (primary position being center, guard or offensive tackle) on the active game day roster, the maximum roster size is 48 players. If a team has fewer than eight offensive linemen, the maximum drops to 47 players.

Active/inactive ("53-Man") list: The active/inactive list remains at 53 players for the regular season and playoffs. However, a team can increase its roster to 54 or 55 players only by using the standard elevation addendum (explained below) to bring one or two practice squad players to the active/inactive list.

Roster size: The practice squad consists of 12 players in 2021, before increasing to 14 players beginning in 2022.

Standard elevation addendum: Now included in all practice squad contracts, the standard elevation addendum allows teams to move a player from the practice squad to the active/inactive list for one week and then back to the practice squad without subjecting him to waivers. Under this addendum, a player reverts back to his team's practice squad on the first business day after the game in which he is elevated. These players receive the applicable minimum salary for a player with his number of credited seasons (prorated for one week of regular season pay or the applicable postseason amount). This clause can be used by a team for a maximum of two regular-season or postseason games per player per season. If the team elevates a player for a third time and the team wishes to move him back to the practice squad, it has to waive or terminate his player contract. If a player is released or clears waivers (whichever is applicable) and he signs a practice squad contract with a new team, he is once again eligible to be elevated for the aforementioned maximum of two games.

https://www.nfl.com/news/2021-nfl-free-agency-glossary-all-the-terms-you-need-to-know

fivetwos

Reaction score
ROSTER SIZES

Active ("Gameday") list: If a team has a minimum of eight offensive linemen (primary position being center, guard or offensive tackle) on the active game day roster, the maximum roster size is 48 players. If a team has fewer than eight offensive linemen, the maximum drops to 47 players.

Active/inactive ("53-Man") list: The active/inactive list remains at 53 players for the regular season and playoffs. However, a team can increase its roster to 54 or 55 players only by using the standard elevation addendum (explained below) to bring one or two practice squad players to the active/inactive list.

Roster size: The practice squad consists of 12 players in 2021, before increasing to 14 players beginning in 2022.

Standard elevation addendum: Now included in all practice squad contracts, the standard elevation addendum allows teams to move a player from the practice squad to the active/inactive list for one week and then back to the practice squad without subjecting him to waivers. Under this addendum, a player reverts back to his team's practice squad on the first business day after the game in which he is elevated. These players receive the applicable minimum salary for a player with his number of credited seasons (prorated for one week of regular season pay or the applicable postseason amount). This clause can be used by a team for a maximum of two regular-season or postseason games per player per season. If the team elevates a player for a third time and the team wishes to move him back to the practice squad, it has to waive or terminate his player contract. If a player is released or clears waivers (whichever is applicable) and he signs a practice squad contract with a new team, he is once again eligible to be elevated for the aforementioned maximum of two games.

https://www.nfl.com/news/2021-nfl-free-agency-glossary-all-the-terms-you-need-to-know
Size matters!

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
dont care how great shape you are in you need rotational players not just for breathers but for packages to match opponents lineups from play to pay. but yes athlete's need breathers, going 60-70 pays is not always possible..
He's talking about ONE MORE GAME IS A BIG DEAL. My point is it shouldn't be.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I think an extra game is completely overblown and nothing will change aside from stat totals.

In 1978 we moved from 14 to 16 games and you heard a lot of the same stuff. Players won’t survive 2 more games a season, injuries will go through the roof and it’ll dissuade college players from going to the NFL (this was before you got 10m$ just for showing up to the draft).

And then until 1989 we didn’t even have a bye. 16 consecutive games for all teams.

And now human beings aren’t equipped to handle a 17 game season, despite Eli winning 2 superbowls from the wild card round, an extra game more than almost every other super bowl champion. Yet it’s going to be an inconceivable strain on our rosters because the attrition magically starts exactly at the end of the 16th game.

Maybe we have 1/16th more injuries than a typical year, but by the end of 2022ish it’ll feel like a normal season to have 17 games… until one day they decide to add an 18th game and people go bananas again and talk about how no one will make it out alive.
I guess you never played professional sports. Did you ever get beat up fall down. Tell me how fast you recover. Even just from a little injury. Trust me it’s a big deal and extra game. What do you think they give two weeks off before the Super Bowl. No it’s not for advertisement. They want the game fresh quality

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I think an extra game is completely overblown and nothing will change aside from stat totals.

In 1978 we moved from 14 to 16 games and you heard a lot of the same stuff. Players won’t survive 2 more games a season, injuries will go through the roof and it’ll dissuade college players from going to the NFL (this was before you got 10m$ just for showing up to the draft).

And then until 1989 we didn’t even have a bye. 16 consecutive games for all teams.

And now human beings aren’t equipped to handle a 17 game season, despite Eli winning 2 superbowls from the wild card round, an extra game more than almost every other super bowl champion. Yet it’s going to be an inconceivable strain on our rosters because the attrition magically starts exactly at the end of the 16th game.

Maybe we have 1/16th more injuries than a typical year, but by the end of 2022ish it’ll feel like a normal season to have 17 games… until one day they decide to add an 18th game and people go bananas again and talk about how no one will make it out alive.
Ask the players at the end of the season what they think about having to play an extra game how their body feels . During a 60 minute football game. There’s only actually 15 minutes of actual game time. All the injuries throughout the league. Yeah adding an extra gave means nothing. I totally disagree

Last edited:

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
dont care how great shape you are in you need rotational players not just for breathers but for packages to match opponents lineups from play to pay. but yes athlete's need breathers, going 60-70 pays is not always possible..
DIRECT TV shows every single game at the end of the week. 30 minutes. 15 minutes of within 15 minutes of defense. That’s it . And those 15 minutes of actual playtime. All the injuries that happened throughout the league. People don’t realize how brutal Despite really is I guess. Not you I’m just talking in general

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Also when they had the 14 game season, they played 6 PS games, when they went to the 16 games, they dropped to 4 PS games. So they still had 20 games, just as now, 17 RS and 3 PS, so still at 20. Except for the HOF game adds 1 more for 2 teams of course.

When they go to 18 games, I am sure they will only play 2 PS games. I believe in the new CBA which runs through the 2030 season there is a clause of no 18 game season until then. But of course that can be relegated as I expect them to within 3 to 5 years.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I read so many posts from fans. Concern why we’re keeping so many wide receivers. So many defensive lineman ,Or offensive lineman. That really , there just average players. I think it’s the first time in a while we actually have a starting rotation. One more game might not sound like a big deal. But believe me it is. I hope we don’t have the injuries like last season. But I like that we’re stockpiling good players. Not so-called great players, but good players.The fact is there aren’t that many great players to go around in this league.
i especially want as many quality defensive lineman we can get. This is the absolute crucial position to have rotational players. Much like when Jimmy Johnson used to bring in his DL in and out with studs making plays. That is the position that gets gassed first. Have to keep plugging the holes and pressuring the QB all game. Those guys were relentless.
Yes, the DL in the Super Bowl years with Jimmy as HC was more about rotational depth than uber elite starters. The Eagles had more talented starters on their DL back then but the Cowboys backups were better than some team's starters.

Haley was the only legit All Pro they had.