Drafted by Cowboys Round 7 pick 238- G Matt Farniok Nebraska

Status
Not open for further replies.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I actually like Farniok a good bit. I’ll take him in the 7th round all day long.

He’s a pretty decent athlete and Dallas’ zone scheme should suit him perfectly. He’s a smart, hardworking guy that can play any of the interior spots, and was a captain for Nebraska.

He’s the first 7th round pick that I’ve been kind of excited about in a few years. I expect him to make the practice squad at the very least this season and it wouldn’t be that surprising to see him win a spot on the 53... although I think the PS is more likely.

That’s my two cents worth on this guy.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score

Wow. Impressive athlete— basically the 13th most athletic OG since 1987?! Measureables alone don’t mean a ton— but if Philbin can help him transition to the NFL— he has elite athletic potential.

Was a team captain as well. Position flex adds value too. Definitely worth taking late in the draft and perhaps can replace Looney.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Very unusual for the Cowboys to go OL this late in the draft. Can't remember the last time they want OL after round 4.

Sign a guy you don't want to lose to another team in the UDFA offers.

SPARQy team captain. Love the signing. Physically and emotionally enough for a career in the NFL. His weaknesses seem to be all technique. Kind of odd for Nebraska, but who knows what the issue is. I'll take 7th round picks like this all day long.

I'd expect that if you do the analysis, guards get underdrafted. Seems like a good deal here.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I would say he has a shot to make this team. We never replaced Joe Looney. The staff seems to like Adam Redmond but I don't have a lot of faith in him.

Without Joe, we're light on depth in the interior online. For the future as well, with Connor Williams in his contract year. Backfilling behind McGovern was a TODO for the draft. This guy seems like a good candidate to compete for that next year. Probably PS this year. Like it.

They should have McGovern compete for LG and C in camp, and be prepared to be first interior man up in case of injury. Making Redmond gameday active just for C is a waste of a roster spot.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
never opposed to an OL this late in the draft.

getting Nagy flashbacks

Nice blast from the past. Farniok is very Nagy.

Mystery to me how Nagy dropped so late. Switching draft positions with Arkin in the 4th would have made more sense to me for both players.

Too bad Nagy broke his ankle and could never come back from it. Bet he could have had a long career.

In 2015, he became a coach for the University of Wisconsin oline. Apparently had the brain for it too.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Nagy

conner01

Reaction score
Typically a 7th round pick is a camp body who has some hope to make PS
This kid has a good shot at actually making the roster
Position flex helps him and the fact Williams is in a contract year
Very athletic kid you could use on goal line in the backfield
Lots of ways you could use him
I hope he gets some serious snaps in pre season

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Don't sleep on this player. His short shuttle and cone drill was elite for 6-5-311. Being a 4 year player also means he has a lot of experience to go with the athleticism. 28 reps at 225lbs makes him among the top OL in strength on the Cowboys (base on pro day and combine numbers).

Farniok is basically what I like in a NFL OL prospect. Convert a big time conference OT to OG. He primarily play RT until 2020 playing OG/C/RT with 31 starts in the last 3 seasons. That means he could not only start but start at multiple positions. His quickness and agility is outstanding for 6-5-311.

Name: Matt Farniok
College: Nebraska Number: 71
Height: 6-5 Weight: 311
Position: OG Pos2: OT
Class/Draft Year: rSr/2021
Pro Day Results
Combine Invite:
Height: 6052
Weight: 311
Dates: 03/23/21
Hand: 09 5/8 Arm: 33 1/4
Wingspan: 79 3/4

Height: 6052
Weight: 311
40 Yrd Dash: 5.20
20 Yrd Dash: 3.07
10 Yrd Dash: 1.78
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 28
Vertical Jump: 33
Broad Jump: 08'09"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.47
3-Cone Drill: 7.19

I think the Cowboys got what the need in Josh Ball and Matt Farniok, depth, potential starters, and with 3 year football experience in college football.

Status
Not open for further replies.