"Rowdy" Roddy Piper Dead at 61...

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
And here I was thinking, "Geez we haven't lost that many guys from the 70's & 80's" outside of those that died young due to apparent drug use or murder, and now with Dusty's passing and Hot Rod's the ranks will no doubt thin quickly.

I mean we still have:
-Bruno
-Superstar Graham
-The Funks
-The Brisco's
-Flair
-Harley Race
-Backlund
-Stan Hansen
-Larry Zbyszko
-Snuka
-Ricky Steamboat
-Blackjack Mulligan
-Nick Bockwinkle

And I'm sure there are many more still around.

I thought superfly had passed... He is 6 months older than my dad. Damn!

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
roddypiper.jpg

BAZ

Drunken Mick
Reaction score
Really didn't think this would affect as much as it has. Just the other day he was defending Hogan. Crazy.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
He was walking irony as he was the underdog heel. McMahon had build a world of wrestling where bodybuilders of outrageous proportions dominated and here was Roddy Piper, an 'undersized' pro wrestler that wore a kilt. McMahon wanted him to job to Hogan in their first ever match, he refused because he knew that the payoff wasn't there.

He made money wherever he went. Portland, San Francisco, Los Angeles, the Mid-Atlantic, WWF, etc. And he was smart enough and kind enough to get out while he could and get into acting instead of never giving up his spot and slowly burying wrestling like so many others have done (Hogan, Lawler, Gagne, the Shiek, Flair, etc).

He was known for going up to jobbers he was going to face that night and shaking their hand and thanking them before the match for putting him over. He wasn't the greatest in-ring performer, but I don't think I've ever encountered a wrestler that knew drama and confrontation better than Piper. He was a wrestling genius. And I appreciate all of the memories.

YR

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score
if there is a good way to go he went peacefully.

wow this is so sad!

what a guy!

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score
I didn't think the tribute they did for Roddy on RAW was very good!

Just video...meh.

For such an important guy to that company they should have talked to his peers....shared some stories....done more.

Wasn't impressed.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I didn't think the tribute they did for Roddy on RAW was very good!

Just video...meh.

For such an important guy to that company they should have talked to his peers....shared some stories....done more.

Wasn't impressed.
I was disappointed because I expected more. What Vince did was OK but it was almost like he was trying to do the absolute minimal he had to. I'm really wondering if they even mention Roddy on Smackdown this week.

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score
I was disappointed because I expected more. What Vince did was OK but it was almost like he was trying to do the absolute minimal he had to. I'm really wondering if they even mention Roddy on Smackdown this week.

he deserved much more IMO.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

McMahon ignores anything that a wrestler accomplishes outside the WWE/WWWF/WWF.

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score
I know they did ALOT more for Dusty Rhodes. Maybe because his kids are there. I know he worked for them.

But I've seen Piper on RAW several times so I presumed they had a good relationship.

I thought it was underwhelming in scope & feeling.

He deserved better! All I read is how great a guy he was & how he was HUGE for them in the ring.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Rowdy Roddy Piper Cause of Death Heart Attack from Blood Clot
8/19/2015 1:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

"Rowdy" Roddy Piper died from a blood clot in his lungs ... TMZ has learned.

We've obtained a copy of the death certificate, which shows the wrestling legend had pulmonary embolism (a blood clot) that triggered a heart attack.

The death certificate helps explain the clot ... Roddy suffered from hypertension for years, resulting in chronic high blood pressure. Clotting can occur as a result of high blood pressure.

And the document reminds everyone how much of a force Roddy was in his profession ... his occupation is listed as "PROFESSIONAL WRESTLER ... 45 YEARS."

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2015/08/19/rowdy-roddy-piper-cause-of-death-heart-attack-blood-clot/

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

We've obtained a copy of the death certificate, which shows the wrestling legend had pulmonary embolism (a blood clot) that triggered a heart attack.

The death certificate helps explain the clot ... Roddy suffered from hypertension for years, resulting in chronic high blood pressure. Clotting can occur as a result of high blood pressure.

And the document reminds everyone how much of a force Roddy was in his profession ... his occupation is listed as "PROFESSIONAL WRESTLER ... 45 YEARS."

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2015/08/19/rowdy-roddy-piper-cause-of-death-heart-attack-blood-clot/

Piper... high blood pressure? Yeah I could see that one.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score

Damn!