Roy Williams and the stink of Detroit

dirt

Reaction score
I admit, living close to Detroit and being familiar with the disaster that has become the Detroit Lions, I am wondering if it will take an off year of training camps, workouts and immersion in a competitive football situation to change RW's practice and work habits and general approach to football?

Hearing lately that RW doesnt seem to have the playbook down and is running incorrect or sloppy routes makes me concerned that the stink of Detroit will take some time to get off him

Consider that for all of his career, his season is essentially done by the 8th or so game of the year. They call it "I75 eyes"-referring to the fact that Lions players have packed it in for the season and are mentally heading out of town to their offseason homes.

During the Martz years, RW always scared me as an opponent with his excellent size, good speed and velcro hands. I have to beleive the regression in his stats over the past few years has been because of the atmosphere in Detroit where you had an ineffective head coach being undermined by a ex head coach as offensive coordinator. Add in the shiny new offensive toy in Calvin Johnson and RW loses focus and interest. Definite shot to the ego of Roy when CJ was brought in as the new number 1. I remember the stroking needed to set Roy right that year! One thing that concerned me as well was the fact that RW seemed to pack it in the past few years late in the season with "nagging injuries" putting him to the sidelines

You can talk all you want about being glad to be coming to a winning team in the playoff hunt BUT are you disciplined enough to take your preparation to the next level. IS there someone (TO, Crayton, Witten, Romo) that exhibits leadership and sets the example to Roy of extra hours of film study etc needed at this time of year??

I know Michael Irvin would have dragged Roy to his level!! but TO? Doubt it

Wrangler87

Reaction score
Give this guy some time. His has more talent than almost every receiver in this year's draft. His time is gonna come, and it may just be Sunday.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
I love how people believe that players ought to adapt and produce immediately.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Hostile;2525559 said:

And we can sign a qb off the street and have him start on a short week. :D

Angus

Reaction score
5Countem5;2525554 said:
I hope his foot heals. I think that is a bigger problem than anything right now.

No. I think the biggest problem is his attitude. He expects throws his way whether he earns trust or not, it seems to me. He is a younger T.O. for disruption, without the T.O. drive, it appears.

:cool:

JPM

Reaction score
Hostile;2525559 said:
:madden:

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
A player packing it in? Not working? Sounds like Roy Williams was a big part of the mess in Detroit and thus why new mgmt sent him packing.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Hostile;2525559 said:

I love how we have the only receivers that dont run good/great routes and are lazy and dont have good workout regimens. I am so envious of EVERY OTHER receiver that EVER played in the NFL.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;2525559 said:

Players getting Franchise money and you traded 1st, 3rd and day two pick BETTER produce.

But this gets into the whole Steve Smith will be a better pro than Mike Williams WR discussion. Certain players get pedigreed and glory in college and won't be able to meet expectations in Pro's and in some cases not even make it there.

Roy's terrible work ethic is out there and has been. Now he is *****ing about offense going his way. Good riddance to this cat. I flat out proved past two years Crayton was more productive. Unfortunately it has been proven a fact, silence it all you want. It is what it was and it is what it is.

juck

Reaction score
RW has good hands.RW is and always will be a big slow possesion reciever.He isnt a number 1.We got shafted.We have Key2 folks.I hope Miles turns into a speed threat.We are gonna miss that number 1 pick.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Hostile;2525559 said:

I agree. Thats 90% of it.

But Roy Williams is such a great athlete that he should still be able to do more things for us.

A lot of that is on Romo though.

Romo has to understand that just because the guy is covered doesn't mean he won't make a play if you throw it in his area.

I expect Roy to be a beast next year and he will see what an offseason is like with a team that has high expectations.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
CATCH17;2525598 said:
I agree. Thats 90% of it.

But Roy Williams is such a great athlete that he should still be able to do more things for us.

A lot of that is on Romo though.

Romo has to understand that just because the guy is covered doesn't mean he won't make a play if you throw it in his area.

I expect Roy to be a beast next year and he will see what an offseason is like with a team that has high expectations.
Romo is pretty beat up. Don't forget that. His hand is not 100% and neither is his back. He can't step into some throws like normal and he can't develop the chemistry yet. It will come. Patience is part of it. Fans have none.

newlander

Reaction score
I'll grant you that Hos. He's beat up, PROCTER IS STARTING, and the oline is the main culprit in our 6 losses. Not the only culprit, just the main one IMO. But people don't want to hear that............

5Countem5

Benched
Reaction score
Angus;2525563 said:
No. I think the biggest problem is his attitude. He expects throws his way whether he earns trust or not, it seems to me. He is a younger T.O. for disruption, without the T.O. drive, it appears.

Well luckily, when TO is gone, you will still have something to whine about.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
I love this thread. I would like nothing more than for RW11 to blossom as a Cowboy. Hope is still there and as time goes on hopefully we will see continued improvement.

Sunday afternoon wouldn't be a bad time to take one huge step forward.

5Countem5

Benched
Reaction score
Bleu Star;2525684 said:
I love this thread. I would like nothing more than for RW11 to blossom as a Cowboy. Hope is still there and as time goes on hopefully we will see continued improvement.

Sunday afternoon wouldn't be a bad time to take one huge step forward.

Absolutely!!!