Roy Williams Hit On Rod Smith

Reaction score
What was Roy Williams thinking on that play, the guy was on the ground and he layed one right into his back/shoulder, what in the world!! It's the ProBowl not a playoff game!!! This may not be a popular thread amongst all you Roy Williams lovers but that was a uncalled for play.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
You could have watched the olympics instead. They sound more your speed.

jksmith269

Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995
Reaction score
ThreeSportStar80 said:
What was Roy Williams thinking on that play, the guy was on the ground and he layed on right into his back/shoulder, what in the world!! It's the ProBowl not a playoff game!!! This may not be a popular thread amongst all you Roy Williams lovers but that was a uncalled for play.
Ya know I thought it was kind of a dirty hit myself. But then I remember what it was like playing and remember it's not so easy to pull up every time. Granted all he had to do was touch him but who knows what he was thinking.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
He didn't intent to hurt him but it was borderline...either way it's still a football game.

Reaction score
He had time to pull up to me, Roy goes for the hit too much and that's what gets him burnt deep by the likes of S. Moss. :rolleyes:

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
As is typical with Roy, he was playing the man and not the ball. I don't think he had any idea if Rod had caught it or not. Basically, if he did and Roy did not leave his feet when he did then Rod gets up and takes it in.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
ThreeSportStar80 said:
He had time to pull up to me, Roy goes for the hit too much and that's what gets him burnt deep by the likes of S. Moss. :rolleyes:
Glenn was the one who got beat by Moss. Roy was caught trying to play the middle of the field because he assumed Glenn would do his job.

sbuscha

king****
Reaction score
Football is football, this is a violent sport. A professional plays every play 100% whether its a practice or an all-star game.

If these kind of hits bother you maybe you should try WATCHING another sport from the comfort of your couch!!:bang2: .

cwbyfan72

Reaction score
Its hits like those that cause fumbles and incompletions. He was playing football man, playing full speed. Its ridiculous how pansie the NFL has become. What about the hit that jarred the ball loose earlier. What about his pick? What about him hitting Edge in the backfield? I suggest you watch the 2005 defensive highlight video. Roy is single- handedly responsible for about 3-4 game changing fumbles. He hits hard...........and players know it.

Reaction score
cwbyfan72 said:
Its hits like those that cause fumbles and incompletions. He was playing football man, playing full speed. Its ridiculous how pansie the NFL has become. What about the hit that jarred the ball loose earlier. What about his pick? What about him hitting Edge in the backfield? I suggest you watch the 2005 defensive highlight video. Roy is single- handedly responsible for about 3-4 game changing fumbles. He hits hard...........and players know it.

The hit on Chambers over the middle earlier in the game was completely different, he wasn't on the ground as was Rod Smith.

Everlastingxxx

All Star
Reaction score
ThreeSportStar80 said:
What was Roy Williams thinking on that play, the guy was on the ground and he layed one right into his back/shoulder, what in the world!! It's the ProBowl not a playoff game!!! This may not be a popular thread amongst all you Roy Williams lovers but that was a uncalled for play.

Uncalled for maybe...but great to watch!

Jay

Reaction score
As another user pointed out, it was extremely evident that he was not watching the ball. He had no idea where the ball was, never looked at the ball, and was just basing his reaction and hit on watching Rod Smith's eyes.

Woody Paige/Skip Bayless made a comment about how it was a dirty play on their show 1st and 10 yesterday. I just don't understand how some of these idiots get jobs. Is it that hard to see that Roy didn't even see the ball? When he got off the ground, he even had to double check Smith to see if he had it. I mean, am I the only one seeing this? Am I living in my own world here?

Why can't people just report on what they SEE?

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
ThreeSportStar80 said:
The hit on Chambers over the middle earlier in the game was completely different, he wasn't on the ground as was Rod Smith.

When Roy committed and left his feet, Smith still wasn't on the ground. By the time Smith did hit the ground, Roy was already on the way and there wasn't a thing he could do about it.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
AsthmaField said:
When Roy committed and left his feet, Smith still wasn't on the ground. By the time Smith did hit the ground, Roy was already on the way and there wasn't a thing he could do about it.
Don't you know he has matrix like skills? He can turn and twist in mid air to keep from hitting someone :D

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just to put it in perspective...
-----------

Smith Escapes Serious Injury From Last Second Play

by Andrew Mason, DenverBroncos.com

lg

Rod Smith
CBS4

(CBS4/DenverBroncos.com) HONOLULU Moments after Sunday's Pro Bowl, Rod Smith sat in front of his locker deep below the Aloha Stadium grandstands, a deep gash visible just outside his left eye.

A few minutes earlier, he lay on the artificial surface, blood streaming down his cheeks, his fall to the turf having caused the hearts of Broncos followers to stop. The injury proved not to be serious, leaving Smith musing not about the pain he felt, but about the downfield catch he nearly made, which could have given the AFC All-Stars a chance to avoid the 23-17 loss.

"I just wish I could have made that one," Smith said. "It would have given us a better chance.

"I just wanted to make that play for my teammates. They're the best in the business at what they do and I want to always give us a chance to win the game."

But Smith came up achingly short, the football glancing off the edges of his fingertips. After he landed on the field following his lunge for Steve McNair's pass, Dallas Cowboys safety Roy Williams swooped in, providing just enough of a jar to cause the injury.

"When I hit the ground, I think somebody fell on top of me," Smith said. "I just ended up with my helmet kind of twisting and it hit me in the eye. I ended up with a cut."

The Broncos' medical staff rushed to Smith's aid as he lay on the turf. Linebacker Al Wilson and Head Coach Mike Shanahan followed soon after to check on the long-time captain.

When Wilson arrived and saw his teammate, his fears subsided.

"I knew he was all right," Wilson said. "It's just the game of football. You get dinged, you get banged up."

Added cornerback Champ Bailey: "One thing you hate is for anybody on either team to get hurt -- especially one of my teammates during the season. We need him.

"I was just glad to see him get up."

Smith's tumble was the only one of the afternoon that stunned the sold-out Aloha Stadium crowd into silence. It was also the most dramatic evidence of the intensity with which the game was played. The defenses were hamstrung by limitations on blitzing and stunting; a linebacker being "out of the box" -- a term more germane to Arena Football than the NFL -- yielded a 15-yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. Yet in spite of the restrictions, they forced 10 turnovers.

And even in a game where the overriding goal is to make sure every player returns to his team healthy, there's going to be collisions, and some might be rough. It's the nature of the sport.

"You can only play the game of football so slow," Wilson said. "Once you get out there and get going, the adrenaline takes over and your mentality takes over as far as how you play the game. We knew it was going to be like that."

Added Smith: "Once I put the mouthpiece in my mouth, it's for real."

And with 22 seconds left before the game's conclusion, Smith and the Broncos learned first-hand just how real the Pro Bowl can get.

Link

superpunk

Reaction score
Yeagermeister said:
Don't you know he has matrix like skills? He can turn and twist in mid air to keep from hitting someone :D

Are you telling me we have a "Keanu Reeves?"

ArchAngel Michael: "Basically Roy Willams -- you are Keanu Reeves."

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Yeagermeister said:

:laugh2:

Yeah, that must be what some think because in reality, he didn't have time to pull up. Once a guy commits like that, there is going to be a collision.

cwbyfan72

Reaction score
ThreeSportStar80 said:

Plain and simple, if this was a regular season game, no one would be *****'n. Its still a football game! Full contact baby, full contact. Go on over to ExtremeSkins.com, you will be welcomed with open arms. My point was, no one is talking about how Roy was all over the field, just that he fell on Rod Smith. Pathetic.