Roy Williams, Terrence Newman fined

Wimbo

Reaction score
from profootballtalk.com...

NFL DOLES OUT FRIDAY FINES by Michael David Smith
Adam Schefter of NFL Network is reporting that the Dallas Cowboys' secondary was hit hard by NFL fines on Friday.
Schefter reports that the league has fined Cowboys safety Roy Williams $15,000 for a horse collar tackle during Monday night's victory over the Buffalo Bills. Considering that the rule against horse-collar tackles is often called the "Roy Williams Rule," and considering that this is Williams' second offense of the season, he should probably be pretty happy that he came out of the week only $15,000 lighter in the wallet.
Schefter also reports that Cowboys cornerback Terence Newman was fined $5,000 for impermissible use of his helmet in the game against Buffalo.
And elsewhere in the league, Schefter reported that Jaguars running back Maurice Jones-Drew has been fined $7,500 for using the goal post as a prop in a celebration.

Mavs Man

All outta bubble gum
Reaction score
I thought having a hand in front of the opponent's body negated the horsecollar tackle?

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I understand the Ro Williams fine, but they are hating on the Cowboys with the Newman fine. I see BS all the time, yet we seem to get called for BS and more BS in and out of the game. Why don't they fine the refs for their ghost calls over the last few weeks?

Tra_Col99

Reaction score
Was Newman fine from the same play that Williams horse collard? I remember thinking that there were 3 to 4 fouls on the play.

Wimbo

Reaction score
Mavs Man;1703194 said:
I thought having a hand in front of the opponent's body negated the horsecollar tackle?

I have read that in posts before, but I did not see it in the on-line version of the rule book. I would provide the link to what I read, but I have no idea where it is.

Mavs Man

All outta bubble gum
Reaction score
Wimbo;1703198 said:
I have read that in posts before, but I did not see it in the on-line version of the rule book. I would provide the link to what I read, but I have no idea where it is.

Well, if that's what the rules say...

aikemirv

Reaction score
Mavs Man;1703194 said:

Well, I guess when it is the facemask that part of the rule is overlooked. That would seem fair, he brought him down by the facemask and a horsecollar.

Just stop doing it Roy!:bang2: :bang2:

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
per DMN Blog

Roy Williams fined again

MICHAEL AINSWORTH / DMN
Cowboys safety Roy Williams was fined $15,000 for a horse-collar tackle in Monday's at Buffalo. Williams was not flagged for the tackle in the game, but he was penalized for a face mask on Bills running back Marshawn Lynch on the same play.

It was the second time in three games Williams has been fined by the NFL for unecessary roughness and the league said "future infractions could lead to increased disciplinary action up to and including suspension."

He was handed a fine of $12,500 for a horse-collar tackle on Chicago tight end Desmond Clark on Sept. 23. Williams fined twice for the illegal tackles last year as well.

Also on the play, cornerback Terence Newman was fined $5,000 for a striking Lynch with the top of his helmet.

Buffalo defensive end Chris Kelsay was fined $5,000 by the league for unecessarily pulling Tony Romo's helmet off.

Posted by Todd Archer at 2:26 PM (E-mail this entry) | Comments (6)

aikemirv

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;1703210 said:
per DMN Blog

Roy Williams fined again

MICHAEL AINSWORTH / DMN
Cowboys safety Roy Williams was fined $15,000 for a horse-collar tackle in Monday's at Buffalo. Williams was not flagged for the tackle in the game, but he was penalized for a face mask on Bills running back Marshawn Lynch on the same play.

It was the second time in three games Williams has been fined by the NFL for unecessary roughness and the league said "future infractions could lead to increased disciplinary action up to and including suspension."

He was handed a fine of $12,500 for a horse-collar tackle on Chicago tight end Desmond Clark on Sept. 23. Williams fined twice for the illegal tackles last year as well.

Also on the play, cornerback Terence Newman was fined $5,000 for a striking Lynch with the top of his helmet.

Buffalo defensive end Chris Kelsay was fined $5,000 by the league for unecessarily pulling Tony Romo's helmet off.

Posted by Todd Archer at 2:26 PM (E-mail this entry) | Comments (6)

Kelsay should have been fined as much as Roy. Not only did he rip it off, he ripped it off with both hands, one in front and one in back!!

Cowboyz88

Reaction score
How could they fine Roy?

He's incapable of mistakes...just ask a lot of guys around here.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I guess a rule is a rule even though I don't like it alot. All Roy needs to do is stop grabbing high. If you can't grab chest level or below, just let the guy go.

Wimbo

Reaction score
Section 2 Personal Fouls​
Article 1
All players are prohibited from:

( a) striking with the fists;
( b) kicking or kneeing; or
( c) striking, swinging, or clubbing to the head, neck, or face with the heel, back, or side of the
hand, wrist, arm, elbow, or clasped hands. See 12-2-3.
( d) grabbing the inside collar of the back of the shoulder pads or jersey, or the inside collar of the side of the shoulder pads or jersey, and immediately pulling down the runner. This
does not apply to a runner who is in the tackle box or to a quarterback who is in the pocket.

deepBLUE

Reaction score
i wonder if the EXTREMELY IMPARTIAL nfl also fined 2 rams players (last week).......for the horse-collars that WERE NOT flagged by the officials??

cowboyeric8

Chicks dig crutches
Reaction score
Clove;1703226 said:
I guess a rule is a rule even though I don't like it alot. All Roy needs to do is stop grabbing high. If you can't grab chest level or below, just let the guy go.

Actually no, if thats the last resort to get him down, bring his butt down by the collar. Dumb rule in the first place.

Hypnotoad

Reaction score
what a surprise... the league fines and threatens suspension of our hard hitting players before we play the coddled patriots.

kojak

Who Loves Ya Baby?
Reaction score

What a bunch of bullcrap. That should of been more.

AtlCB

Reaction score
cowboyeric8;1703251 said:
Actually no, if thats the last resort to get him down, bring his butt down by the collar. Dumb rule in the first place.
I'm ok with the rule as long as the defender isn't being stiff-armed. Most of the runners try to stiff-arm the defender in the face mask. In this case, the horse collar is the only way the runner can be taken down.

Aikbach

Reaction score
I hope Dallas racks up all sorts of fines this weekend so long as the Pats are griping about a loss.