Roy Williams: The Cowboy of the 00's

LD Fan

Reaction score
junk;1107502 said:
Agreed. For as much as everyone likes Roy's big hits, I still don't think he was the all around player that Woodson was.

He's not our best player and you're absolutely right about not being as good as Woodson. He's above average.

LD Fan

Reaction score
AdamJT13;1107575 said:
If Woodson was in his prime these days, he'd get bashed for not making enough big plays. Roy makes more plays than Woodson ever did, and he still gets bashed for it.

Big plays for who though, us or them? Williams make many more mistakes in coverage than Woodson ever did.....hands down. If you just mean big hits, Roy probably makes more.....but Woodson had his share of fines too.

LD Fan

Reaction score
EMMITTnROY;1107547 said:
.. this whole Roy can't cover thing is just way overblown.. Woody got beat from time to time too.. everyone does.

You may call it overblown but that's probably your bias. His coverage skills are his weakness. He seems like a great guy and his big hits are fun to watch but your manlove may be blinding you.

BAZ

Drunken Mick
Reaction score
Roy is my favourite current Cowboy and I like him being "the face" of the Cowboys. The problem is that having a saftey as the face of a team for a decade is not a good thing.

Victort52

Reaction score
The one thing that the other "players of the decade" have is a championship to their credit. Each was an integral part to the success of those teams. Before we start crowing a player of the decade, I would at least like to see us get a little deeper into the playoff and see what type of player and playmaker they are when it really counts.

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
I would Deff Say that Henson is the face of the cowboys of 00's...who else have we all talked about more then Henson?

clayman

Reaction score
Damn, Roy is is good company there on your list....too good to be realistic as those guys are HOFers no diggity...no doubt.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
LD Fan;1107599 said:
Williams make many more mistakes in coverage than Woodson ever did.

The vast majority of times Roy gets accused of blowing a coverage, he didn't. He didn't blow the coverage on Santana Moss last season, but he still gets blamed for it. He didn't blow the coverage on L.J. Smith this season, but Troy Aikman immediately (and erroneously) pinned the blame on him. Take those away, and what's left for Roy's so-called "blown coverages"? Not that many.

clayman

Reaction score
He did blow that McNabb duck in the Philly game though....and I think he being the safety, he did blow that first td versus Moss last year.

scottsp

Reaction score
Roy Williams is just about perfect in coverage. The best.

And that was not a bad angle taken on Tiki. It was Zim's fault. Perhaps someone else. Not Roy.

Wolfpack

Reaction score
I like Roy alot but I'd trade a Roy for a Woodson and not look back.

BTW: Woodson could cover Shockey man up all day.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Alexander;1107514 said:
Had Woodson began his career at the tailend of a 5-11 team and continued on, perhaps he would also be held in such high regard.

If I started a team tomorrow and had to take either Darren or Roy Williams in their prime, the selection wouldn't even be close.

Darren Woodson would win. Simply because he was the better player. Not the most recognizable.

I agree completely.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
EMMITTnROY;1107547 said:
Woody is one of my favorite Cowboys of all time, but I think that Roy has surpassed him in playing ability.. Woody was never the big playmaker or game changer that Roy is.. They were both big hitters, but Roy is by far the bigger hitter and all around intimidater.. Woody was one of our greatest leaders, but Roy leads by example on the field.. other defenders get pumped by his big hitting and play harder because of it.. Roy has better stats, even (gasp!) more interceptions.. this whole Roy can't cover thing is just way overblown.. Woody got beat from time to time too.. everyone does.. Aikman and Staubach threw interceptions.. Emmitt had a couple of fumbles.. Irvin dropped some passes.. Deion gave up some touchdowns.. But Roy, for some reason, is the only player that I know of that has every single past mistake brought up every week.. No matter how great he plays, he will never be good enough for some people.. Roy is an all around player and a great one at that..

I don't really care about interceptions. You can't line up Roy up in the slot to cover a WR. Woodson could.

Woodson could cover, play the run and blitz. I still think he is the better all around safety.

Roy doesn't strike me as a leader at all.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
AdamJT13;1107841 said:
The vast majority of times Roy gets accused of blowing a coverage, he didn't. He didn't blow the coverage on Santana Moss last season, but he still gets blamed for it. He didn't blow the coverage on L.J. Smith this season, but Troy Aikman immediately (and erroneously) pinned the blame on him. Take those away, and what's left for Roy's so-called "blown coverages"? Not that many.

Scaife and Shockey this year. All on Roy.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Cowboy of the 00's? For me: Mike Zimmer.

No one else has defined the way we played on one side of the ball like he did.