Rumor: DLaw looking for 100mils / 70 guaranteed

Sydla

Reaction score
First of all tagging him would not be a cap killer. That's idiotic. They can create easily $80MM in cap space and if Lawrence was tagged at $21MM, they'd still have roughly $60MM. PLUS................ tagging him is a one year proposition and has no long term cap implications. So hardly a cap killer.

A cap killer is signing him to a massive deal with massive amounts of guaranteed money and he regresses or injuries zap him of his skill. That's a cap killer.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Dallas needs to pay the man his market value for three reasons:

1. D Law balled out while injured this year and was a good soldier while playing under the tag. He is a top 3 DE right now in the NFL— pay him what he deserves

2. The philosophy the FO has established and communicated is that they want to build through the draft, develop their players, and sign their guys longterm that produce. If they let D Law walk— they lose credibility with players and the result could easily be a loss of trust that the FO will give their productive core players long term security in a very violent sport.

3. They lose further credibility with the fan base. You can’t tell us you will stay out of FA bc you want the cap to sign your best players— and then you let a guy like D Law walk. Fans will question their commitment to winning (more than they already do) and moves like this cement the narrative that the Jones family are only in this for money.

Bottom line: sign D Law for what he is worth. Honor your players when they produce and they will run through a brick wall for you.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
http://nfltraderumors.co/nfc-east-notes-cowboys-eagles-giants-Commanders-41/

If repost feel free to delete.

Note to myself: Bye Bye.

I had a 5-year deal for him pegged at exactly $100 million. That's the going rate and the coast of doing business. Compared to the deals for Aaron Donald and Khalil Mack, it's a relative "bargain". My issue would be with the "guaranteed money" portion based on his suspension and injury history.

Pompey-Cowboy

Reaction score
First of all tagging him would not be a cap killer. That's idiotic. They can create easily $80MM in cap space and if Lawrence was tagged at $21MM, they'd still have roughly $60MM. PLUS................ tagging him is a one year proposition and has no long term cap implications. So hardly a cap killer.

A cap killer is signing him to a massive deal with massive amounts of guaranteed money and he regresses or injuries zap him of his skill. That's a cap killer.
Agreed, the only issue of tagging him is if he chooses to throw his toys out the pram and cause unrest.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dallas needs to pay the man his market value for three reasons:

1. D Law balled out while injured this year and was a good soldier while playing under the tag. He is a top 3 DE right now in the NFL— pay him what he deserves

2. The philosophy the FO has established and communicated is that they want to build through the draft, develop their players, and sign their guys longterm that produce. If they let D Law walk— they lose credibility with players and the result could easily be a loss of trust that the FO will give their productive core players long term security in a very violent sport.

3. They lose further credibility with the fan base. You can’t tell us you will stay out of FA bc you want the cap to sign your best players— and then you let a guy like D Law walk. Fans will question their commitment to winning (more than they already do) and moves like this cement the narrative that the Jones family are only in this for money.

Bottom line: sign D Law for what he is worth. Honor your players when they produce and they will run through a brick wall for you.

hqg-2426.gif

Sydla

Reaction score
Here's the issue.

If you look at defensive ends............ $70MM guaranteed would blow any DE guaranteed money out of the water with the three highest paid DEs being Watt, Jones and Vernon............ Vernon has essentially $52MM in guarantees.

Now if you look at OLBs like Mack and Miller, their guaranteed monies can get as high as $90MM and $70MM, respectively.

He wants to be paid like an OLB when his market value is probably less than that compared to DEs.

PS - By "essentially" guaranteed I mean the total potential guarantees. Miller has $70MM in potential guarantees but he was only guaranteed $42MM at signing. The other $28MM is in the form of guarantees if he's on the roster at certain points, etc. Aaron Donald was only guaranteed $50MM at signing, with potential guarantees close to $82MM.

If Lawrence wants $70MM guaranteed at signing, he ain't getting it. From anyone.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
I had a 5-year deal for him pegged at exactly $100 million. That's the going rate and the coast of doing business. Compared to the deals for Aaron Donald and Khalil Mack, it's a relative "bargain". My issue would be with the "guaranteed money" portion based on his suspension and injury history.

Thats the main reason for me too.

This guy has serious back issues.

And a torn labrum is nothing to laugh about. This is not a surgery-and-forget thing. But then i dont think he had a torn labrum. With that he couldnt lift his arm at all. To me it was just an excuse for him and his (again) dropped play after half of the season. But then, thats something else to talk about.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Here's the issue.

If you look at defensive ends............ $70MM guaranteed would blow any DE guaranteed money out of the water with the three highest paid DEs being Watt, Jones and Vernon............ Vernon has essentially $52MM in guarantees.

Now if you look at OLBs like Mack and Miller, their guaranteed monies can get as high as $90MM and $70MM, respectively.

He wants to be paid like an OLB when his market value is probably less than that compared to DEs.

And Vernon's deal is now three years old. And negotiated by this very same agent, who is not about to go backwards in what he gets for his clients.

Since then, the deals for Aaron Donald and Khalil Mack have reset the market, for ALL defensive linemen and pass rushers.

The Cowboys likely could have signed him much cheaper last year, but they chose to wait and see him duplicate his success and reliability. He did, and now they have to pay to keep their one War Daddy pass rusher. There are worse things in life, like not having one at all.

John813

Reaction score
What's the length? 4-5-6 years?

6 years at 100mil is a steal, even with the huge guarantee.

Assuming that number comes with a 5 year extension

TwentyOne

Reaction score

Good post!

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

And a torn labrum is nothing to laugh about. This is not a surgery-and-forget thing. But then i dont think he had a torn labrum. With that he couldnt lift his arm at all. To me it was just an excuse for him and his (again) dropped play after half of the season. But then, thats something else to talk about.

I think that you will essentially have to guarantee the first three years of the deal, which is roughly $60 million. I'm OK with that considering the alternative where you let him walk and get paid even more money somewhere else. And he would. Teams have it, and teams will spend it.

The miss on Taco Charlton has essentially forced the team's hand.

Sydla

Reaction score
And Vernon's deal is now three years old. And negotiated by this very same agent, who is not about to go backwards in what he gets for his clients.

Since then, the deals for Aaron Donald and Khalil Mack have reset the market, for ALL defensive linemen and pass rushers.

The Cowboys likely could have signed him much cheaper last year, but they chose to wait and see him duplicate his success and reliability. He did, and now they have to pay to keep their one War Daddy pass rusher. There are worse things in life, like not having one at all.

It depends on what Lawrence means by $70MM guaranteed. If he wants that at signing, he's not going to get it and no player has come close to that. Mack's $90MM in guarantees was really only $60MM at signing with $30MM in guarantees based on roster bonuses, etc. Aaron Donald was only $50MM guaranteed at signing with the other $36MM tied to roster time, etc.

If Lawrence is OK with say $50MM in guarantees and then another $20MM in guarantees tied to roster time, etc. then that makes more sense because it gives the Cowboys an out after a few years in case Lawrence goes sideways.

bodi

Reaction score

And a torn labrum is nothing to laugh a

yup agree to the m all

TwentyOne

Reaction score

They dont have to keep him. Dont make yourself so dependend on one player. DLaw is good but he is not someone who can make others around him better .

FT him and let Tacco develope one more year. All you really get from DLaw is his run play. Tacco with one more year and more strength hopfully will be there too. We need some DTs and a good LDE. Gregory could provide this.

And about Donalds contract: you cant compare Ware to Donald. Nor Mack either. They are in a nother league. Donald and Mack are elite players. DLaw is good.

Blue&Silver

Reaction score
He isn't going anywhere, and will be paid big money. We have some really large large contracts coming up with Zeke, and Prescott. Unfortunately for lesser players they will have to take pay cuts, or cut to make room for the most important players. It's just how it is.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It depends on what Lawrence means by $70MM guaranteed. If he wants that at signing, he's not going to get it and no player has come close to that. Mack's $90MM in guarantees was really only $60MM at signing with $30MM in guarantees based on roster bonuses, etc. Aaron Donald was only $50MM guaranteed at signing with the other $36MM tied to roster time, etc.

If Lawrence is OK with say $50MM in guarantees and then another $20MM in guarantees tied to roster time, etc. then that makes more sense because it gives the Cowboys an out after a few years in case Lawrence goes sideways.

I'd peg Lawrence's deal at $40 million at signing and $60 million guaranteed overall. Essentially locking it in as a three year deal at a minimum.