Rumor: Zeke Turns Down Contract

glimmerman

Reaction score
We will see. He is coming into town. If he goes back then let him stay.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Zeke looked like he lost his home run/ break away speed last season. He needs to stay in shape. I think he will be even more lazy after he gets paid.

This is probably a team problem considering every young back we get puts on a ton of weight.

I prefer the slim 2016 Zeke as well.

Bigdog

Reaction score
It would only take 15m a year to be highest paid. 5y/75m? 100% he gets that on the open market. Probably more due to the bidding war. Leveon Bell hasn’t played in a year, is 3 years older than Zeke, has a major injury history, has never been close to leading the league in rushing, and still got over 13.

The Seahawks paid Marshawn Lynch 12 million a year, 5 years ago. Now they could get a better, 24 yr old Marshawn for only 15? Not close to the inflation of QB, DT, DE contracts in that span. They’re built on a heavy run game maybe even more than you. Even though they have 2 good young RBs, I bet they’d jump on that.

What would the packers be with Zeke? SUBSTANITALLY more dangerous. How about the Colts? The Vikings? The Chiefs even.

Make no mistake, Jerry’s leverage is 2 years left on Zeke’s rookie deal, not what he’s asking for. Because what Jerry’s offering is not what he’s worth... he deserves to set the market based on his talent, his play, and his lack of injuries.
If he doesn’t play, then doesn’t he not accumulate a year to FA? So he still has two more years with the Cowboys? I’m not sure how that works.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Lynch’s deal carried only like 12MM in guaranteed money. The AAV is meaningless because it takes into account salaries that may never get earned.

Lynch collected 12MM in 2015 and then was cut.

So that’s not exactly a fair comparison.

Zeke ain’t getting 20% more than Gurley on the open market.

So then by your words, Zeke’s AAV is meaningless. Gurley got 14.5, 15 isn’t ‘20% more’

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
You just can’t come to the table and expect to get the perfect deal with 2 years left on your deal with a possible franchise tag as well.

Right. Jerry is lowballing him because of how early it is. Doesn’t mean Zeke has to like it

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
If true then fine.. Let him start losing game checks if he’s willing to keep holding out.

Tony Pollard will still get us to 3-0 to start the year and Zeke will lose close to a million dollars.

I personally think Zeke is signed sometime next week. Probably have the PC on Tuesday or Wednesday.

Agreed. In fact, I'm moving ever closer to the trade Zeke camp.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
I just don't agree with paying a player like him who can't keep his nose clean. Plus who's to say his level of play doesn't plummet once he's paid? It's clear he cares far more about his ego and his personal checking accounts than football.

You could say any player could plummet once they get paid. Antonio Brown got paid, I think his off-the-field stuff is worse. Bell actually has a drug suspension, same with DLaw, they got paid. Kareem Hunt had a longer domestic violence suspension, he will get paid. There are teams out there who will pay problem players no problem.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
It seems like the Cowboys have been negotiating with themselves. If Zeke is this dug in he could be sitting on his couch for a while.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
If he doesn’t play, then doesn’t he not accumulate a year to FA? So he still has two more years with the Cowboys? I’m not sure how that works.

Yes, your point is true. But the previous poster presented an impossible scenario where Zeke was on the open market. Even with the years left on his deal, if he refuses to play then you can only give him what he wants or trade him.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
This thing isn’t getting done and I never really thought it would. Zeke is not the kind of person who compromises. You either give him what he wants or he is disrespected. They need to pull the offer and make him available for trade. Use his money to keep Jones and/or Collins and just go get another RB to pair with Pollard in next year’s draft. In the meanwhile, pick up a veteran after cuts or a player for player trade. I’m totally ready to be done with him for good.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
The guaranteed money is what is the most important number.

I think that’s circumstantial. Is there any scenario beyond off-the-field disasters that you could see Dallas signing him to a gargantuan deal and then cutting him 3 years later? Basically all of that is fully guaranteed whether it technically is or not.