Run the football, stop the run!

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I have heard this is the team's objective, to improve upon be able to run the football and stop the run. When you look at the visits, that is exactly pointing to that direction:

-Brought in the top 4 linebackers
-Brought in the top 2 running backs.
-Brought in the top 2 centers (if they brought in Tackles, that would be geared more to the passing game)

With their top 3 selections, I think they want to come away with 1 from each grouping.

Mikexike

Reaction score
I have heard this is the team's objective, to improve upon be able to run the football and stop the run. When you look at the visits, that is exactly pointing to that direction:

-Brought in the top 4 linebackers
-Brought in the top 2 running backs.
-Brought in the top 2 centers (if they brought in Tackles, that would be geared more to the passing game)

With their top 3 selections, I think they want to come away with 1 from each grouping.
This is what JERRY meant by all in, Putting the resources into the right position groups in the draft.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I don’t see it.

As long as Jerry is paying Dak a fortune, it’s gonna be the same deal. They want to build the team around him and his arm and his fantasy stats.

That was never going to work and it hasn’t.

But when the people you hire to evaluate are yes men that are either desperate for a paycheck or happy for an earlier opportunity, it’s….‘sure Jerry, whatever you like.’

Cowboyny

Reaction score
It's really the difference of being a good regular season team and being a true contender.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Kingley’s strength is run blocking as a tackle. He is basically Tyler Smith will better test scores. Cavanaugh already gave him his vote of no confidence. Saying he needs a year of development.

it’s interesting that they brought in top flight linebackers and left off defensive tackle 1 techs. I guess the Cowboys feel the scheme/alignments was the problem against the run.

This running back class is average. I think there are 5 solid prospects so you have take one early (by the 3rd round) Made a huge mistake waiting until the 6th round to draft one last season.

sbark

Reaction score
Thinking Tyron S, as a rookie sat 1st half of year....then at RT....
2nd year began at LT...

Discussion has these 3 possible piks following similar path

Sandyf

Reaction score
What we really know is that Dallas will only gave 15 to 18 guys with a true 1st round grade, they normally have always drafted one or two of there top 30 and 1 of their Dallas Day guys, and more telling is that their board will in no way mirror anything the media or draft gurus have in their rankings.

We also don't know who will fall or trades that happen before our pick.

If a guy that they like, say the OT from Oregon State, falls to a range we even could even trade up a few spots to get him. Just depends how well they like someone.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Kingley’s strength is run blocking as a tackle. He is basically Tyler Smith will better test scores. Cavanaugh already gave him his vote of no confidence. Saying he needs a year of development.

it’s interesting that they brought in top flight linebackers and left off defensive tackle 1 techs. I guess the Cowboys feel the scheme/alignments was the problem against the run.

This running back class is average. I think there are 5 solid prospects so you have take one early (by the 3rd round) Made a huge mistake waiting until the 6th round to draft one last season.
I think you have it opposite, he is more of a pass protector and average as a run blocker

Mr_437

Reaction score
C position is at the top of the list because Dallas run game is primarily between the tackles. Ex. JPJ, Tyler, and Zack dominating the middle of the field...I can dig it.

I rather see a WR drafted over a RB.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I think you have it opposite, he is more of a pass protector and average as a run blocker
Just watched Tom Downey on Cowboys report. Peyton Wilson makes Jaylon, LVE, and Sean Lee look healthy. He tore his right ACL twice and missed some games the last two seasons because of injuries. Double digit surgeries and is 24 years old. If he is good as some of the board and Broaddus thinks he is I might use the 5th round comp on him but nothing higher.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Just watched Tom Downey on Cowboys report. Peyton Wilson makes Jaylon, LVE, and Sean Lee look healthy. He tore his right ACL twice and missed some games the last two seasons because of injuries. Double digit surgeries and is 24 years old. If he is good as some of the board and Broaddus thinks he is I might use the 5th round comp on him but nothing higher.
I read that he actually was healthy the last two seasons. Yes, he has serious medical concerns, but he is the best linebacker in the class. Dane has him in the mid 3rd round, but I think he goes higher. Definitely, a roll of the dice, but could give us huge rewards for a few seasons.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I read that he actually was healthy the last two seasons. Yes, he has serious medical concerns, but he is the best linebacker in the class. Dane has him in the mid 3rd round, but I think he goes higher. Definitely, a roll of the dice, but could give us huge rewards for a few seasons.
Basically he would be LVE at his best. How high would you take him? Wilson and Overshown. The ACL boys. :facepalm: The Cowboys brought Wilson in to check his medicals.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
Basically he would be LVE at his best. How high would you take him? Wilson and Overshown. The ACL boys. :facepalm: The Cowboys brought Wilson in to check his medicals.
Wilson IMO is a better prospect than LVE was. Different kind of mover with elite instincts. I would absolutely take him in round 2. The injuries are a red flag. But this team takes those risks.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I would consider him at 56, depending on who is available. In my opinion, a better prospect then Lve at this same stage, cause he also has pass rush abilities.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Wilson IMO is a better prospect than LVE was. Different kind of mover with elite instincts. I would absolutely take him in round 2. The injuries are a red flag. But this team takes those risks.
Perfect 5th round comp selection. No real risk. We need the first 3 picks to be home runs because of our free agent philosophy. I will play your game Micah the wildcard, Wilson, Kendricks, Overshown, and Clark would be a good linebacker core.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Two ACL injuries. How many All-Pros seasons have you seen from players who had that injury twice.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
Two ACL injuries. How many All-Pros seasons have you seen from players who had that injury twice.
If you’re expectation is an All Pro player in round 2 then you‘re going to be disappointed. Like I said the injuries are a Red Flag. But put on his tape from last year. Strictly on talent and performance, he’s a 1st round talent. And this team loves to gamble on players like that.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
If you’re expectation is an All Pro player in round 2 then you‘re going to be disappointed. Like I said the injuries are a Red Flag. But put on his tape from last year. Strictly on talent and performance, he’s a 1st round talent. And this team loves to gamble on players like that.
The problem is for the Cowboys we have to expect big things from a second round pick because we don’t use free agency and we traded away four draft choices for this draft. You talking about taking Wilson over a starting running back or starting offensive lineman.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
The problem is for the Cowboys we have to expect big things from a second round pick because we don’t use free agency and we traded away four draft choices for this draft. You talking about taking Wilson over a starting running back or starting offensive lineman.
I am one of the few guys that could care less about the position we draft. I won’t come here the day after the draft and moan about us not taking Wilson. If Benson or Brooks end up being the pick in round 2, I’m good. If it‘s an OL I’m good as well. I’m just saying that depending on who is left on the board, Wilson is someone I could consider in round 2.