Running a forum...

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Has anyone ever heard of this before?

I fly remote helicopters for fun and found what I thought was a cool site to learn some good stuff. But...every post I make the forum makes me answer some silly question like..."What does not belong, a car, a boat, or a basketball?"

Or, answer this question. "If you are not alive, what are you?"

What is the purpose of that. It's not like I am some kind of bot or something!

Even after I post a question about a heli, someone will answer me, then if I respond back with something like "Thanks for the info, it really helps me." Before I can post that it makes me answer something like...

What does not belong. A cat, a horse, a dog, a motorcycle?"

:confused:

Why?

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
If you are logged in and a member then check to see if your email address is verified. And you should be able to contact staff although not always.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
jobberone;5035531 said:
If you are logged in and a member then check to see if your email address is verified. And you should be able to contact staff although not always.

Well, just like any other forum, I could not register unless they send me an email link to verify my email address. Once I verify my email on other forums they know that I am real.

But just like our conversation here...if I had missed that little question;

What does not belong? A hamburger, a hotdog, a butterfly?

And I hit this post to you, jobberone, it would come back and say I did not answer the question right (because I either did not see the little box or just did not expect it) , and it deletes my whole post to you and I have to start all over again!!

It makes no sense to me.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I guess I'm showing my age. Some people use a dummy email acct to register yada and then forget to look for it. Me I use my regular email acct for everything but I probably need to stop doing that. I get too much junk mail. I'm also going to give out phony phone numbers from now on as well. You can post this in the members zone and see if you get more help.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The reason that site is asking you those questions is probably because they have been hit by spammers so they implemented a method to make it harder on them to spam. It is very possible that once you reach a certain post count and/or age on your account that you will no longer be prompted to do that.

People have no idea how hard spammers go after forum sites these days. They are very relentless and aggressive, and they can get around almost every wide-spread anti-spam system. Some sites are desperate and they implement annoying obstacles to deter or block spammers, but innocent users get hit by it as well.

On the bright side, most sites that resort to that already have a solid core membership and they restrict any annoying anti-spammer methods to new users so those older members don't even notice it. New members have to put up with it for a short time, but then they are no longer burdened with it and get to enjoy a mostly spam-free site as a result.

My advice to you is to make a post in the appropriate forum on that site and ask what you need to do to get rid of those questions each time you post. The users will likely tell you what you need to do or how long you have to wait in order to stop seeing them.

/reality

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
jobberone;5035559 said:
I guess I'm showing my age. Some people use a dummy email acct to register yada and then forget to look for it. Me I use my regular email acct for everything but I probably need to stop doing that. I get too much junk mail. I'm also going to give out phony phone numbers from now on as well. You can post this in the members zone and see if you get more help.

Well, I really don't need any help because I don't go there anymore because of that silly question thing. I was just wondering, why?
;)

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Reality;5035564 said:
The reason that site is asking you those questions is probably because they have been hit by spammers so they implemented a method to make it harder on them to spam. It is very possible that once you reach a certain post count and/or age on your account that you will no longer be prompted to do that.

People have no idea how hard spammers go after forum sites these days. They are very relentless and aggressive, and they can get around almost every wide-spread anti-spam system. Some sites are desperate and they implement annoying obstacles to deter or block spammers, but innocent users get hit by it as well.

On the bright side, most sites that resort to that already have a solid core membership and they restrict any annoying anti-spammer methods to new users so those older members don't even notice it. New members have to put up with it for a short time, but then they are no longer burdened with it and get to enjoy a mostly spam-free site as a result.

My advice to you is to make a post in the appropriate forum on that site and ask what you need to do to get rid of those questions each time you post. The users will likely tell you what you need to do or how long you have to wait in order to stop seeing them.

/reality

:confused:

Well, that makes sense.

Maybe I will give another try at that site. But, it was so annoying and I wondered why does that site do that!!:mad:

;)