Running back depth? Am I hearing this right?

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
We have running back depth?

The Dallas Cowboys?

A team that featured a tired out Emmitt Smith from 2000 to 2002 and a clumbsy Troy Hambrick in 2003?

Then, in 2004 Dallas drafts RB who has potential, but it remained unseen until after Julius Jones returned to the depthless backfield to relieve Eddie George from embarrasing himself further by proving to be an even worse back than Troy Hambrick.

Now that team has depth at RB?

How did that happen?

Well, it started when Julius Jones proved to be worthy of Dallas' first pick in the 2004 draft after returning from a shoulder injury. The season took it's course and finished 6-10, but one shining positive was Julius Jones who proved to be a formidable running back.

Followed by an offseason addition of Anthony Thomas, the drafting of Marion Barber III and the FA aquisition of Tyson Thompson - a little known back with a ton of physical ability.

Not to mention the return of Bickerstaff, someone who must have done something to warrant another invitation to camp.

It seems now that we are stacked with potential at a position that was once anemic. We've got options. And we've got depth - finally.

What does having this depth mean this year as compared to recent years where we weren't so deep?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Yeah Ben, we got some depth at RB. As to how it happened, I was walking on this beach and I saw something shiny in the sand. It looked like a teapot so I started polishing it......

Ashwynn

Reaction score
Banned_n_austin said:

The Dallas Cowboys?

A team that featured a tired out Emmitt Smith from 2000 to 2002 and a clumbsy Troy Hambrick in 2003?

Then, in 2004 Dallas drafts RB who has potential, but it remained unseen until after Julius Jones returned to the depthless backfield to relieve Eddie George from embarrasing himself further by proving to be an even worse back than Troy Hambrick.

Now that team has depth at RB?

How did that happen?

Well, it started when Julius Jones proved to be worthy of Dallas' first pick in the 2004 draft after returning from a shoulder injury. The season took it's course and finished 6-10, but one shining positive was Julius Jones who proved to be a formidable running back.

Followed by an offseason addition of Anthony Thomas, the drafting of Marion Barber III and the FA aquisition of Tyson Thompson - a little known back with a ton of physical ability.

Not to mention the return of Bickerstaff, someone who must have done something to warrant another invitation to camp.

It seems now that we are stacked with potential at a position that was once anemic. We've got options. And we've got depth - finally.

What does having this depth mean this year as compared to recent years where we weren't so deep?

Amazing what doing your homework and actually having football pple scouting and making decisions can do for your drafts. What your seeing is 2 really excellent drafts and UDFA scouting. The O-line will make this group of good backs look better too if it all goes as planned. Stay tuned and enjoy the show. If all my problems were this delicious I would be a happy man. there not, but I am still happy. Yeah me!

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Hostile said:
Yeah Ben, we got some depth at RB. As to how it happened, I was walking on this beach and I saw somethign shiny in the sand. It looked like a teapot so I started polishing it......
You need to polish that teapot some more HOS.

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile said:
Yeah Ben, we got some depth at RB. As to how it happened, I was walking on this beach and I saw somethign shiny in the sand. It looked like a teapot so I started polishing it......

They have beaches in Tucson?

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
Ashwynn said:
Amazing what doing your homework and actually having football pple scouting and making decisions can do for your drafts. What your seeing is 2 really excellent drafts and UDFA scouting. The O-line will make this group of good backs look better too if it all goes as planned. Stay tuned and enjoy the show. If all my problems were this delicious I would be a happy man. there not, but I am still happy. Yeah me!

Yeah, I give Parcells a lot of credit too. I'm just hoping that Dallas turns into kind of a Denver Broncos-type team in that it has a knack for getting these little gold nuggets of depth from the draft particularly, but by other avenues as well.

There's no telling, we could even see a four-headed monster in Dallas this year. :eek:

:starspin

I'm actually hoping that we can give Julius about 20 carries a game and take a little pressure off of him by putting it on some of these other guys. I have faith that Parcells will find a way to spread it out.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Banned_n_austin said:
That is the word on the street. I guess BP didn't like what he saw in case Julius goes down.

Bizwah

Reaction score
Banned_n_austin said:
They have beaches in Tucson?

Absolutely.

I've got some Ocean Front Property in Arizona. From my front porch you can see the sea.

And if you buy that I'll throw the Golden Gate in free!

A little George Strait for ya!

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
Bizwah said:
Absolutely.

I've got some Ocean Front Property in Arizona. From my front porch you can see the sea.

And if you buy that I'll throw the Golden Gate in free!

A little George Strait for ya!

My ocean front property wears #20. ;)

Eddie

Reaction score
Hold it ... other than A-train, what depth do we have at RB??? Barber is an unknown quality ... rookie 4th round draft pick. The Thompson kid is even MORE unknown ... undrafted rookie FA.

Sorry, but that's NOT what I consider considerable depth. I apologize if I don't toot the party horn, but if JJ goes down, we're in it deep again.

TheEnigma

Anomaly
Reaction score
Banned_n_austin said:
Yeah, I give Parcells a lot of credit too. I'm just hoping that Dallas turns into kind of a Denver Broncos-type team in that it has a knack for getting these little gold nuggets of depth from the draft particularly, but by other avenues as well.

There's no telling, we could even see a four-headed monster in Dallas this year. :eek:

:starspin

I'm actually hoping that we can give Julius about 20 carries a game and take a little pressure off of him by putting it on some of these other guys. I have faith that Parcells will find a way to spread it out.

Parcells actually stated in one of his press conferences that 20-22 carries a game is what he is looking at giving Julius.

I am kind of split on this, part of me wants him to lead the NFL in rushing yards, and in order to do that, he needs carries. The other part of me wants to preserve him, and use the rotation to keep the defenses off-guard.

PaEagleHater

Reaction score
Eddie you saw how deep we were in it last year before he got gone. I think that depth will be proven. I hope it is just to give JJ a breeak though. I am liking this Def alot. Gonna hinge on the FS. We get decent play there we are going to be dang tough.

ratpower

Reaction score
Eddie said:
Hold it ... other than A-train, what depth do we have at RB??? Barber is an unknown quality ... rookie 4th round draft pick. The Thompson kid is even MORE unknown ... undrafted rookie FA.

Sorry, but that's NOT what I consider considerable depth. I apologize if I don't toot the party horn, but if JJ goes down, we're in it deep again.

Eddie, I would normally agree by holding back judgement this early, but after seeing these guys, I'm on the bandwagon. Barber kind of runs like a duplicate Julius (with less burst), A-Train I liked at Chicago. Bickerstaff I'm not too sure about but he seems alright. We all know Julius is the man.

Plus, this Thompson kid I think may actually be the real deal, after seeing him for myself. I refused to back him but now I'm changing my tune. Overall, I think the optimism is justified this year and it is exciting.

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile said:
My feet aren't nailed to the ground here.

A duck walks into the bar ... and has a seat ...

The bar tender asks the duck if he can get him a drink ...

The duck replies ... "no, but do you have any grapes"?

The bartender says, "no, you'd have to go to the grocery store for that ... this is a bar..."

So the duck leaves and comes back the next day ... seems he is still trying to find some grapes (stupid duck) ...

The bartenders say, "I told you yesterday, there's a grocery store down the street, this is a bar you annoying little ducky" ...

The duck says, "QUACK"! and waddles out the door ...

The next day the duck comes in and sits down ... the bartender thinking that the duck has probably found some grapes by now, but if not, he knows by now that he's at a bar (stupid duck)

But the duck asks the bar tender again if he's got any grapes ...

The bartender replies, "no you annoying little duck! and if you ask that question again I'm going to nail your feet to the floor"!

The duck replies, "you got any nails"?

Bartender: No ... this is a bar ...

The duck replies, "you got any grapes"?

jay cee

Reaction score
Banned_n_austin said:
A duck walks into the bar ... and has a seat ...

The bar tender asks the duck if he can get him a drink ...

The duck replies ... "no, but do you have any grapes"?

The bartender says, "no, you'd have to go to the grocery store for that ... this is a bar..."

So the duck leaves and comes back the next day ... seems he is still trying to find some grapes (stupid duck) ...

The bartenders say, "I told you yesterday, there's a grocery store down the street, this is a bar you annoying little ducky" ...

The duck says, "QUACK"! and waddles out the door ...

The next day the duck comes in and sits down ... the bartender thinking that the duck has probably found some grapes by now, but if not, he knows by now that he's at a bar (stupid duck)

But the duck asks the bar tender again if he's got any grapes ...

The bartender replies, "no you annoying little duck! and if you ask that question again I'm going to nail your feet to the floor"!

The duck replies, "you got any nails"?

Bartender: No ... this is a bar ...

The duck replies, "you got any grapes"?
:lmao2: so funny, I had to go back and read it again. and it was just as funny the second time.