5-Audric Estime Notre Dame
6-Ray Davis Kentucky
7-Dillion Johnson Washington
8-MarShawn Lloyd USC
9-Will Shipley Clemson
10-Dylan Laube New Hamshire
11-Braelon Allen Wisconsin
12-Jaylen Wright Tenn

Who is the best fit for the Cowboys inside zone scheme?

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Rankings came from Draft Buzz Site

1-Jonathan Brooks Texas
2-Trey Benson Florida State
3-Blake Corum Michigan
4-Bucky Irving Oregon
5-Audric Estime Notre Dame
6-Ray Davis Kentucky
7-Dillion Johnson Washington
8-MarShawn Lloyd USC
9-Will Shipley Clemson
10-Dylan Laube New Hamshire
11-Braelon Allen Wisconsin
12-Jaylen Wright Tenn

Who is the best fit for the Cowboys inside zone scheme?
This year it really depends on how high backs go. The top 3 could all be very good 3 down guys, but I dont know that I like taking them round 2 which you likely have to.

I like Estime and Allen alot as pure inside runners, but they would need a counterpart for us to really have a good run game

cnuball21

Reaction score
I think Brooks and Benson are the clear cut top 2 RBs in whatever order you like...not sure how serious the Brooks injury is.

Outside of those 2 I think a lot of these guys are jumbled together so you're picking whatever flavor you like. I'm a big fan of size / speed combo guys with solid production against solid competition. My 3 favorites outside of the top guys are Lloyd, Allen and Johnson.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
This year it really depends on how high backs go. The top 3 could all be very good 3 down guys, but I dont know that I like taking them round 2 which you likely have to.

I like Estime and Allen alot as pure inside runners, but they would need a counterpart for us to really have a good run game
You would think they sign some sort of veteran to pair with a rookie. Don't think they will be in the market for the likes of Henry, Jacobs, Barkley, Eckler but maybe willing to sign a veteran in the next tier, kind of what Zeke got this yr from the Patriots. Have heard Zack Moss name brought up during the season as a possible fit. Who they target in the draft will depend on who they sign and what type they want.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I think Brooks and Benson are the clear cut top 2 RBs in whatever order you like...not sure how serious the Brooks injury is.

Outside of those 2 I think a lot of these guys are jumbled together so you're picking whatever flavor you like. I'm a big fan of size / speed combo guys with solid production against solid competition. My 3 favorites outside of the top guys are Lloyd, Allen and Johnson.
Brooks tore his acl, my understanding he is the clear #1 back in this class even after his injury, which suggests this class is kind of weak. Thinking they probably can find a good back with their 3rd rd selection. Based on the current scheme, more of an inside, power runner with good vision/instincts is the need.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

I think Corum is 3rd, and a pretty solid all around back. You are probably looking at David Montgomery to Javonte Williams caliber backs in your top 6 this year

cnuball21

Reaction score
I think Corum is 3rd, and a pretty solid all around back. You are probably looking at David Montgomery to Javonte Williams caliber backs in your top 6 this year
Corum is a great college player…I’m just not a big fan of the smaller guys.

Aven8

Reaction score
I’m sad that Tahj Brooks didn’t come out from Tech. He’s the type of back we need. I would love to get Zach Moss and a rookie. No one had even heard of Pacheco until KC stole him in the 7th round.

Regardless of what backs we get the blocking scheme has to change

cnuball21

Reaction score
Draft

OT rd 1
C rd 2
RB rd 3

Sign Henry or Moss

Instant run game
My only concern here is we’ve done nothing to fix the D unless we go nuts in FA.

Also I think there’s some risk in assuming that 2 rookies will both hit and immediately improve our run blocking.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I’m sad that Tahj Brooks didn’t come out from Tech. He’s the type of back we need. I would love to get Zach Moss and a rookie. No one had even heard of Pacheco until KC stole him in the 7th round.

Regardless of what backs we get the blocking scheme has to change
Totally agree, but the a blocking scheme change only happens if Solari gets fired. Think he is tied to MM for another season.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Draft

OT rd 1
C rd 2
RB rd 3

Sign Henry or Moss

Instant run game
Realistically outlook would be a fa mid-tier RB, resign Tyron for another season and draft a new starting center/#2 running back. I hope the team does the same on defense, double up at linebacker-one in fa, one in the draft and signs or draft a starting DE or DT.

Aven8

Reaction score
Totally agree, but the a blocking scheme change only happens if Solari gets fired. Think he is tied to MM for another season.
Well than he and Mike and Schotty need to go back to the drawing board. Remember in the offseason that Mike wanted a strong running game? Man that changed quickly

bleachedwheat

Reaction score
I wouldn't even draft a RB this year. Next years RB class will be way better than this years crop. Sign Henry or Moss on a 1 year deal and draft a good RB in the second round next year. I think the focus in this years draft has to be the trenches and a Gallup replacement. Some people would say LB, but I think they grab somebody like Lavonte David in FA and then draft depth in the 6th or 7th round.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Well than he and Mike and Schotty need to go back to the drawing board. Remember in the offseason that Mike wanted a strong running game? Man that changed quickly
Run game was actually worse last season and they had more health up front.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
We passed more last year than we did under Kellen Moore.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Realistically outlook would be a fa mid-tier RB, resign Tyron for another season and draft a new starting center/#2 running back. I hope the team does the same on defense, double up at linebacker-one in fa, one in the draft and signs or draft a starting DE or DT.
Preach!