Running Back Prospects

visionary

Reaction score
My only concern here is we’ve done nothing to fix the D unless we go nuts in FA.

Also I think there’s some risk in assuming that 2 rookies will both hit and immediately improve our run blocking.
D will be FA
Need a 1 T DT
1 starting caliber LB
Buy in from Parsons to play LB
1 FS to rotate with Hooker
Resign Armstrong

visionary

Reaction score
Realistically outlook would be a fa mid-tier RB, resign Tyron for another season and draft a new starting center/#2 running back. I hope the team does the same on defense, double up at linebacker-one in fa, one in the draft and signs or draft a starting DE or DT.
Yeah, my plan above assumes resign Tyron for 1-2 years
Hes still top 5 OT

cnuball21

Reaction score
D will be FA
Need a 1 T DT
1 starting caliber LB
Buy in from Parsons to play LB
1 FS to rotate with Hooker
Resign Armstrong
I agree in attacking DT, LBr and maybe S but we also need to be thinking about CB. Diggs coming back helps, but we're still down a starter with both JLew and Gilly being FAs. DA might be more expensive than we think so Fowler could be a cheaper option with similar production.

I"m fine if Parsons gets some off ball snaps to mix things up to confuse the D but he's a pass rusher...and arguably the best one in football so he should be spending a majority of his time there.

TasteMyScythe

Reaction score
The RB I'm taking a liking to is Jaylen Wright from Tennessee (5' 11" 210lb, 4.31)

SCOUTING REPORT: STRENGTHS​

• Wright runs with violence; he’s capable of thrashing through tacklers, and Wright has the natural balance to withstand contact.
  • He keeps his pads low and consistently falls forward. Unlike most backs his size, he has the lateral movement and stop-start ability to make defenders whiff. He has breakaway speed in the open field.
  • Made Bruce Feldman's Freak's List - ranked #24. He wrote " The 5-11 Wright is up to 200 pounds but displayed some serious juice this offseason, clocking 23.6 mph in practice. Beyond that, Wright vertical-jumped 44 inches and did a 10-8 broad jump."
  • He gets low and rarely absorbs significant contact, and he shows a nice blend of quickness and patience, maximizing his blocking.
  • He is a natural playmaker, at his best with the ball in his hands.
  • He shows good vision and good explosion up field once he plants his foot. Wright has lateral movement skills and enough speed to threaten big plays. He’s excellent in the passing game, capable of flexing out as a receiver and creating mismatches against linebackers, and he’s a solid back in the screen game.
  • Fits a zone system, can sift through oncoming traffic and explode through tiny creases and cutback lanes. Elite, darting stop-and-go acceleration. Dangerous in the open field.
He is a little lean and isn't looked at as a workhorse, but I think he would make a nice complement to pair with a Zack Moss or even a Deante Foreman.

JeffInDC

Reaction score
The RB I'm taking a liking to is Jaylen Wright from Tennessee (5' 11" 210lb, 4.31)

SCOUTING REPORT: STRENGTHS​

• Wright runs with violence; he’s capable of thrashing through tacklers, and Wright has the natural balance to withstand contact.
  • He keeps his pads low and consistently falls forward. Unlike most backs his size, he has the lateral movement and stop-start ability to make defenders whiff. He has breakaway speed in the open field.
  • Made Bruce Feldman's Freak's List - ranked #24. He wrote " The 5-11 Wright is up to 200 pounds but displayed some serious juice this offseason, clocking 23.6 mph in practice. Beyond that, Wright vertical-jumped 44 inches and did a 10-8 broad jump."
  • He gets low and rarely absorbs significant contact, and he shows a nice blend of quickness and patience, maximizing his blocking.
  • He is a natural playmaker, at his best with the ball in his hands.
  • He shows good vision and good explosion up field once he plants his foot. Wright has lateral movement skills and enough speed to threaten big plays. He’s excellent in the passing game, capable of flexing out as a receiver and creating mismatches against linebackers, and he’s a solid back in the screen game.
  • Fits a zone system, can sift through oncoming traffic and explode through tiny creases and cutback lanes. Elite, darting stop-and-go acceleration. Dangerous in the open field.
He is a little lean and isn't looked at as a workhorse, but I think he would make a nice complement to pair with a Zack Moss or even a Deante Foreman.
There’s something about this kid…

WhizKid

Reaction score
There are a bunch of backs I'm liking. Some workhorse guys and some power in-between the tackle guys. Vaughn is pretty good in the passing game, whether we have a OC who has the ability to game plan with him is another story. I like Jonathan Brooks but want a more immediate return on my draftee, but would consider if he's there later.

Trey Benson - My top back this year.
Audric Estime - Iykyk. Dude is a beast with some legit burst and size. I also think he has more than enough ability to be more than a pounder.
Ray Davis - A back who does everything. Has taken a lot of snaps with the QB under center. Finishes strong and can run in between the tackles well and also possessing soft hands and RAC ability.
Marshawn Lloyd - Dude is a play maker. Getting some Marshall Faulk vibes out him.
Blake Corum - Dude is nice. Has the proper weight to run in between the tackles. I really like the skillset but we have a little dude and I'm curious how much the elite Michigan line is responsible for his tape. I'll be lower than consensus, but def see the potential.
Dillon Johnson - Powerful. Strong. Runs like he has two left legs. But def a good prospect.
Braelon Allen - I like Allen's size and his skillset, but dude has a problem holding on to the ball. He's young so could get coached out of it.
Kendall Milton - I'll probably be higher than consensus. But the size is good. Also a question of Oline or back? Work horse back potential.
Jaylen Wright - Lean in the frame, but has good tape. Probably more suited for a ZBS.
Frank Gore Jr. - Different type of back than his father. A small school guy who I'm looking at as a late round flyer.
Dylan Laube - Small school CMC-lite. Good catching the ball out of the back field.
Jaden Shirden - Giving me Kyren Williams vibes. Small school prospect for a late round pick. Really good. Led FCS in rushing.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
This year it really depends on how high backs go. The top 3 could all be very good 3 down guys, but I dont know that I like taking them round 2 which you likely have to.

I like Estime and Allen alot as pure inside runners, but they would need a counterpart for us to really have a good run game
Don't much about Allen but love Estime

Cowboyny

Reaction score
There are a bunch of backs I'm liking. Some workhorse guys and some power in-between the tackle guys. Vaughn is pretty good in the passing game, whether we have a OC who has the ability to game plan with him is another story. I like Jonathan Brooks but want a more immediate return on my draftee, but would consider if he's there later.

Trey Benson - My top back this year.
Audric Estime - Iykyk. Dude is a beast with some legit burst and size. I also think he has more than enough ability to be more than a pounder.
Ray Davis - A back who does everything. Has taken a lot of snaps with the QB under center. Finishes strong and can run in between the tackles well and also possessing soft hands and RAC ability.
Marshawn Lloyd - Dude is a play maker. Getting some Marshall Faulk vibes out him.
Blake Corum - Dude is nice. Has the proper weight to run in between the tackles. I really like the skillset but we have a little dude and I'm curious how much the elite Michigan line is responsible for his tape. I'll be lower than consensus, but def see the potential.
Dillon Johnson - Powerful. Strong. Runs like he has two left legs. But def a good prospect.
Braelon Allen - I like Allen's size and his skillset, but dude has a problem holding on to the ball. He's young so could get coached out of it.
Kendall Milton - I'll probably be higher than consensus. But the size is good. Also a question of Oline or back? Work horse back potential.
Jaylen Wright - Lean in the frame, but has good tape. Probably more suited for a ZBS.
Frank Gore Jr. - Different type of back than his father. A small school guy who I'm looking at as a late round flyer.
Dylan Laube - Small school CMC-lite. Good catching the ball out of the back field.
Jaden Shirden - Giving me Kyren Williams vibes. Small school prospect for a late round pick. Really good. Led FCS in rushing.
Excellent writeup! I really think based on prior history, the team adds a fa starter and pairs with with a rookie draft pick. Now they don't have to have power/speed combo with their two backs, but it is nice to have to give a defense different looks. Thus what type of back drafted could depend on who they sign in fa. Would like to have a combo like the Lions: Montgomery and Gibbs.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Estime reminds me a little like the Bus-Bettis. He would instantly fill that power, inside the tackles type of back.
Allen is interesting because you may be able to get him in the 5th or 6th because he is pretty going to be a 2 down between tackles only back. But he will be very good at it. There could be good value there as long as he is paired with a back who can play passing down. I think Estime goes higher, because I dont think he is a great 3 down back, he can play 3 downs and offer just enough in pass pro and as a receiver to be put on the field

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Allen is interesting because you may be able to get him in the 5th or 6th because he is pretty going to be a 2 down between tackles only back. But he will be very good at it. There could be good value there as long as he is paired with a back who can play passing down. I think Estime goes higher, because I dont think he is a great 3 down back, he can play 3 downs and offer just enough in pass pro and as a receiver to be put on the field
No issue landing Estime in the 3rd rd and having Allen as a late backup plan for that type of inside runner.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
No issue landing Estime in the 3rd rd and having Allen as a late backup plan for that type of inside runner.
I do wonder if Allen gets over drafted based on age and measurables. I only think there is a small chance of that because I don't see fluidity needed to be a more rounded back, but you know how teams can be with projections

I think Estime is only 20 as well

cnuball21

Reaction score
Allen is one of my favorites due to his size / speed combo which usually correlates to NFL success. He’s also one of the younger prospects in the class.

I highly doubt he’ll be available in the 5th.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I do wonder if Allen gets over drafted based on age and measurables. I only think there is a small chance of that because I don't see fluidity needed to be a more rounded back, but you know how teams can be with projections

I think Estime is only 20 as well
No issue with a younger prospect

Gambit

Reaction score
I highly doubt he’ll be available in the 5th.
Very late comp pick 5th range.

This is why I'm not expecting a top rated RB this year. Just took many holes (currently) to fill and only 3 picks in top 200 or something like that.

cristglo

Reaction score
I think Brooks and Benson are the clear cut top 2 RBs in whatever order you like...not sure how serious the Brooks injury is.

Outside of those 2 I think a lot of these guys are jumbled together so you're picking whatever flavor you like. I'm a big fan of size / speed combo guys with solid production against solid competition. My 3 favorites outside of the top guys are Lloyd, Allen and Johnson.
I haven’t really dug into the running back class, but clearly Brooks and Benson are my top two favorite sure would be nice if Jerry would get off his lack of spending and go get Derek henry or somebody that knows how to pound that rock.