CFZ Running Back room evaluation

Jumbo075

Reaction score
Everyone knows that Zeke is gone, and Pollard has received the franchise tag. But I simply don't trust that Pollard will return to form in 2023 after the injuries he suffered in the playoff game against the 49ers. The Cowboys need to pick a RB in the upcoming draft.

Having said that, I do believe the Cowboys have signed a good player in RB Ronald Jones. Jones was the 38th overall pick in 2018 at age 20 out of USC, and has been a solid RB. For whatever reason, his workload has been relatively light, and he's only had 510 rushes in his 5 year career. But he's averaged 4.4 ypc, which is more than the Cowboys got out of Elliott last season. His best years were 2019 & 2020 when he combined for 364 carries for 1702 yards, and 13 touchdowns rushing, plus another 59 receptions for 474 yards and another touchdown. He can be a good compliment to Tony Pollard, and if Pollard doesn't come back on time, Jones can provide a rushing threat if given an opportunity.

Malik Davis played well as the 3rd RB last season, showing toughness and inside running ability. And the Cowboys have re-signed Rico Dowdle, also. Overall, if Pollard returns intact and on-time the Cowboys are not in desperate need. But the uncertainty surrounding the health of Pollard, and the fact that both he and Jones are on 1-year contracts means the Cowboys would be wise to spend some draft capital to find a long-term replacement for Zeke Elliott.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Zeke has been replaced by TP as the RB1 last season. Dallas is looking for a RB2 in the draft. RoJo, Davis and Rico are competing for RB3.

Just hope McClay and company aren't looking to draft a banger as the RB2 with so many explosive runners available.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The RBs the Cowboys currently have to replace Zeke are all downgrades. No guarantees Pollard returns to form after the injury. It’s almost a sure thing the Cowboys will draft a RB at some point.

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
Zeke has been replaced by TP as the RB1 last season. Dallas is looking for a RB2 in the draft. RoJo, Davis and Rico are competing for RB3.
It really is that simple. (my money is on Jones for #3 out of that group)

How many RB's will be off the board when Dallas's second round pick comes up?
Same question for the third round.

While Dallas won't take a RB in round 1, I think they will take one earlier than many think. No later than round 4, and probably earlier than that.

shabazz

Reaction score
When you have Rico Dowdle in the stable do we really need to find better talent than that?

A minor hip fracture one year and knee scope the next is no reason to sell him short….plus zero fumbles in his entire NFL career is impressive

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Will they make the same mistake they made with Gallup relying on a player to return to form earlier than the norm.

This is a good RB draft and they should get at least one. I might even get one with the idea of him being the starter because they have the #1 on a one year coming off an injury.

Big_D

Reaction score
I think they'll come away with 2 RBs in the draft. 2nd and 7th.. something like that. A deep RB draft and perhaps a few drop. Completely change the RB room and have a nice competition heading into camp. If not a 7th then hopefully they would still be able to get a quality undrafted RB at that point.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Ronald Jones and Pollard could be a good 1 and 2. But I don't think Jones should prevent us from grabbing a good RB if one is there in the late 2nd or 3rd round.

75boyz

Reaction score
Will they make the same mistake they made with Gallup relying on a player to return to form earlier than the norm.

This is a good RB draft and they should get at least one. I might even get one with the idea of him being the starter because they have the #1 on a one year coming off an injury.
Totally agree Coach, especially with the comparison to Gallup you mention.
I made a similar post but all the CZ medical professionals showed up to insult me when I questioned the integrity of how accurate the team publicly reports return dates for players when they are injured.

It's a historical mixed bag of players returning from injury on time or not.
Or returning sooner but not being near as effective as before.

jmo

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Everyone knows that Zeke is gone, and Pollard has received the franchise tag. But I simply don't trust that Pollard will return to form in 2023 after the injuries he suffered in the playoff game against the 49ers. The Cowboys need to pick a RB in the upcoming draft.

Having said that, I do believe the Cowboys have signed a good player in RB Ronald Jones. Jones was the 38th overall pick in 2018 at age 20 out of USC, and has been a solid RB. For whatever reason, his workload has been relatively light, and he's only had 510 rushes in his 5 year career. But he's averaged 4.4 ypc, which is more than the Cowboys got out of Elliott last season. His best years were 2019 & 2020 when he combined for 364 carries for 1702 yards, and 13 touchdowns rushing, plus another 59 receptions for 474 yards and another touchdown. He can be a good compliment to Tony Pollard, and if Pollard doesn't come back on time, Jones can provide a rushing threat if given an opportunity.

Malik Davis played well as the 3rd RB last season, showing toughness and inside running ability. And the Cowboys have re-signed Rico Dowdle, also. Overall, if Pollard returns intact and on-time the Cowboys are not in desperate need. But the uncertainty surrounding the health of Pollard, and the fact that both he and Jones are on 1-year contracts means the Cowboys would be wise to spend some draft capital to find a long-term replacement for Zeke Elliott.
What is it about Pollard’s injury that has you so concerned?

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
If I was Dallas I would draft a RB rounds 2-5 and sign every UDFA RB on the planet.. Have them wear numbers in the 100's.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
The position does need help, and I agree with being cautious about expecting too much from Pollard early on in the season.

I reckon they will address the position early in the draft. This RB class is stacked, there are multiple guys who will go around the 2nd-3rd round that are very good prospects.

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
I don't get that concern either. The staff has consistently said he will be ready by training camp.

Some act like his leg was amputated.
Because we can always trust the official team propaganda. :)

I think the concern is not if he will be recovered enough to play. The concern is will he be the same? Will he have lost a step? Pollard's burst is what makes him special.

75boyz

Reaction score
Because we can always trust the official team propaganda. :)

I think the concern is not if he will be recovered enough to play. The concern is will he be the same? Will he have lost a step? Pollard's burst is what makes him special.
Yep, true.
Gallup wasn't the same after returning that's for sure.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
We should all be happy with Pollard as RB1, 4th or 5th rounder in this loaded draft as RB2, and Davis as RB3 with Jones on the PS.

The sooner we are the team closest to the bottom in RB spending, the sooner we will be hoisting up trophies