CFZ Running backs today

leeblair

Reaction score
What happened to running backs in the NFL? They're so fragile and soft in comparison to just a few years ago.

Barry Sanders was still at the top of his game when he hung it up after 10 years.

Emmitt played 15 years. So did Adrian Peterson.

Earnest Byner played 14, Jerome Bettis 13, Thurman Thomas 13, Ricky Watters 10, Eddie George 9, and a long list of guys played 8 seasons.

Nowadays, it's magical if a guy can play 6 seasons and still be worth a crap. Why?

The game isn't as physical as it was in the 90s and 00s. Guys played hurt and through concussions a lot more.

Running backs used to have a lot more carries than they do today. Two-back systems weren't utilized much.

Is it the money? Laziness? Lack of commitment? Social media distractions?

The breed of running backs had changed.
The coaching is worse. Teams seldom scheme a true running game. Instead, the running back is asked to do more with less, and blamed when there are no openings to run into. The leadership overall in the NFL is sub par nowadays, and nepotism keeps it that way.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Performance-enhancing drugs allow players to burn brighter but it shortens careers. I disagree with the idea that the game is less physical, you've got guys like VIta Vea at 350lbs that runs like an edge rusher from the 90s. That kind of weight falling on you takes a toll. I also think players are basically professionals from an early age and take a whole lot more reps on the journey to the NFL. By the time a guy like Zeke made it to the NFL he probably had the type of workload that running backs in the 5th year of NFL had.
Depends on the steroid. Some do that but the recovery ones would have the opposite effect.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I have no idea but I just have to look at Earl Campbell and Priest Holmes to understand why a player may not want to play for a dozen years at RB.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
That's the thing. It's not faster and stronger than the 90sc at all. Not in the least. Deion, Larry Allen. Reggie White, Rod Woodson, and and a hundred others would dominate this league.

The 90s were the pinnacle of faster, stronger, tougher, and better.

Same goes for the NBA, NHL, and MLB.
Reads like nostalgia.

rags747

Reaction score
Load carrying backs are not developed in high school, college, and will not show up in the Pros. Bijan is the exception today and not the norm. Gibbs is the norm. Gibbs need to be teamed up with another back. Pollard is the same. Jerry will find out (if Elliott goes) Pollard can not carry a load.

Our high school played Emmitt's Smith and his Pensacola team. Our defense was beat up after the game saying they gave Smith the ball every play. Just him. Our school had 2 backs and they could not believe it.

Its just the flow of where we are in football offensive schemes. No more power I dominate formations. Now you have the shot gun/spread offense. The QB is becoming more of a runner, and teams like the 2-3 RB approach. Times have changed everywhere but Arlington.

People forget that until Tony Dorsett, Landry had a multiple back offense with Hill, Thomas, Garrison, Preston Pearson, and Newhouse all in a 2 back or split back formations not the consistent Power I.

The coaches that developed the load carry RB are just fewer. But what goes around comes around again. Please do not tell Jerry Dumbo GM Jones that or he will have Elliott on the team until he is as old as Jerry.
Both Hill and Thomas were feature backs until injuries or player attitude changed that. Hill was not coming off the field and neither was Thomas.

exciter

Reaction score
I named several, and could name several more. Not just Emmitt.
Lol, kinda missed the point. How many good running backs came out of college that you never heard of because they broke down physically within 5 or 6 years?

erod

Reaction score
Bigger, faster defensive players....
Nope.

In today's NFL, there isn't nearly the number of elite players that there were back in the 90s and early 2000s. Guys like Ray Lewis, Deion Sanders, Reggie White, Rod Woodson, Ed Reed, Ronnie Lott, Darrell Green, etc, etc, etc. There were TONS of them.

Now, it's Micah, Donald, and a few others, then a bunch of good athletes who can't play football and make a million mental errors a season.

Football is UGLY today.

erod

Reaction score
Lol, kinda missed the point. How many good running backs came out of college that you never heard of because they broke down physically within 5 or 6 years?
You can say that about any position. Football is a rough game.

But great backs tended to play a long time back then unless they were overly abused by their coach like Earl Campbell was.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
The game was significantly more physical in the 90s and just as fast.
The game was very physical because A) The rules allowed it B) The lines were geared toward the biggest dudes they could find.

Was it as fast as today? No way. Not as a whole.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nope.

In today's NFL, there isn't nearly the number of elite players that there were back in the 90s and early 2000s. Guys like Ray Lewis, Deion Sanders, Reggie White, Rod Woodson, Ed Reed, Ronnie Lott, Darrell Green, etc, etc, etc. There were TONS of them.

Now, it's Micah, Donald, and a few others, then a bunch of good athletes who can't play football and make a million mental errors a season.

Football is UGLY today.
Nope...those guys were all great....but, overall today's athletes are bigger, faster, stronger today

erod

Reaction score
Nope...those guys were all great....but, overall today's athletes are bigger, faster, stronger today
No, they're not. That was true through generations, but after the 90s. Today's players are more fragile, play with far inferior technique, and don't understand the game to near the extent. Dumb players abound.

Those 90s Cowboys team would roll through this league. They'd steamroll the 70s and 80s teams, too.

The Chiefs and a couple of other teams could give them a game, but they'd beat this Cowboys teams in laughers.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No, they're not. That was true through generations, but after the 90s. Today's players are more fragile, play with far inferior technique, and don't understand the game to near the extent. Dumb players abound.

Those 90s Cowboys team would roll through this league. They'd steamroll the 70s and 80s teams, too.

The Chiefs and a couple of other teams could give them a game, but they'd beat this Cowboys teams in laughers.
Yes the are! I never said that 90s football wouldn't win. But, it's a fact that today's athletes are BFS.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Both Hill and Thomas were feature backs until injuries or player attitude changed that. Hill was not coming off the field and neither was Thomas.
I don't remember it that way and the stats show Landry played them like Pollard and Zeke or Mercury Morris and Csonka. Don't forget Walt Garrison in that 70's 3 headed running monster. The Cowboys really ran the ball to win, threw to score and defense wins championships.
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/dal/single-season-rushing.htm

erod

Reaction score
Yes the are! I never said that 90s football wouldn't win. But, it's a fact that today's athletes are BFS.
Aikman, Young, Farve, Kelly, Elway, Montana, Moon, Marino, Bledsoe, Cunningham, Simms, Chandler, Esiason, Gannon....

Show me the Larry Allen of today. The Deion. The Emmitt, Barry, Thurman, or Bettis.

Etc, etc, etc.

They were just as big, fast, and strong, but they were infinitely smarter and better at the game.

Today's players are sloppy, undisciplined, and largely don't care.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Aikman, Young, Farve, Kelly, Elway, Montana, Moon, Marino, Bledsoe, Cunningham, Simms, Chandler, Esiason, Gannon....

Show me the Larry Allen of today. The Deion. The Emmitt, Barry, Thurman, or Bettis.

Etc, etc, etc.

They were just as big, fast, and strong, but they were infinitely smarter and better at the game.

Today's players are sloppy, undisciplined, and largely don't care.
And you still watch them?

Buzzbait

Reaction score
The whole world's gotten soft why should running backs be any different. The only thing people worry about now is moving the mouse.
If it takes any more effort than that they're really not into it.
Staying it long enough to get paid and get out That's all they care about super bowl rings me no more to them than something you got out of a gumball machine. They're in it for the money they don't want to put out any more effort than absolutely necessary and get paid the maximum That's the reality.

Glad I got to watch football in the '60s '70s '80s and '90s when men were men and the game was really the game
I think there's some truth to that. All they have to do is go to Cabo and the offers explode. Years ago when the pay scales were lower, money was a major incentive. Now they can make millions in a shorter period of time which reduces that incentive level. Most players are there for the money and not just for the pure love of the game. A good example is look how many times we've witnessed increased player intensity during contract years and decreased intensity after they get that guaranteed money in their pocket.