Running Backs

TheEnigma

Anomaly
Reaction score
This past year many would agree that the draft was heavy with talent at running back. (when compared to other positions) We have what we homers would like to think a full stable of capable running backs. Some would argue that it is a top 5 or 10 group of backs, but top 15 would be a safe estimation. (For Now) It seems to me that running back is turning into a position that most teams have taken care of. There were a number of backs out there that were proven, yet few teams took interest in i.e. Shaun Alexander and Travis Henry.

My question is, will we see a refinement in the position and how it is used in NFL formations? Will more than one running back on the field at once become more common? Will the position become more versatile? If so, how? The Tight End position is seeing some evolution, is Running Back next?

Correction: when I say running back, I am referring to halfback. Can someone explain the difference, if any, between halfback and the H-back term used sometimes to describe Witten and other tight ends on occasion?

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Good question. My answer is I don't know.

I do know that for whatever reason, it usually doesn't work when you try to get two very good backs on the field at the same time. Look at Herschel Walker and Tony Dorsett with us. We tried to take advantage of both, but together they weren't any better than either one individually.

I suppose it's because there's only one ball to go around and all great backs need a certain number of carries in order to get in a groove and on a roll.

Still, some very creative offensive mind might be able to do something with two good backs in the same formation (Norm Chow with Brown and Henry)... But I'll believe it when I see it.

blindzebra

Reaction score
An H-back is kind of a tweener type of player. Not big enough to be a regular TE, too slow to be a WR, not a true back that can play FB and take a hand off.

Calling Witten an H-back is an insult, in a way. What Dallas did was use two TEs and instead of putting both on the LOS, one replaced the FB.

The emergence of the TE and the multiple receiver and TE sets has made FB almost obsolete.

I think that the size and speed of the players have made it more important to have at least a hint of RB by committee in your offense. The days of 350+ carries by a feature back may be numbered.

Now if a team is lucky enough to have a Dorsett and Walker on the roster together...even though with the salary cap I doubt they'd have them together long...I'd find a way to get them on the field together.

Both in the back field would invite 8 or 9 in the box. Motion one out wide and throw the ball or a reverse option could be there.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
I think you have a point, Enigma. Many teams want RBs who are more versatile, IE, can play WR, run effectively, and block.

But, though a RB is necessary for success in most instances, it is no longer a cornerstone for a team, as it once was. Teams now seem to get by with roleplayers, committees, etc.

DLK150

The Quiet Man
Reaction score
I agree with **. One thing that makes it harder to have two quality backs for any length of time is most guys with the ability to, want to start. Look at Barber as an example. Evidently we offered him a 4 year contract, but he only wants a 3 year contract so he can hit free agency earlier. He hasn't even taken the field yet, but he sees JJ here and figures that lessens his chances of being the starter any time soon.

cannonball44

Stephen Peterman's Campaign Manager
Reaction score
can you blame him??

I'm sure after all his hard work he'd want more than to play second fiddle behind some 8-game back.