Running Game vs The Skins

JayFord

Reaction score
The Commanders defensive stats are overblown

They arent as good as their numbers say they are but they do have a tendency to tighten up at the 10s

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
Steve Walsh was the qb that game. Gary Hogeboom wasn’t on the team in 89.

Go Roger Ruzek
He didn't join until 1980. I believe the cowboys had a 1 win season and he was the qb unless I am mistaken. It has been a long time and I am older now. Sometimes the mind doesn't work like it used to.

blueblood70

Reaction score
The Commanders are ranked 4th in the NFL against the run. We are the No. 2 rushing team in the NFL. How well do you think we can do running the ball against them this week?
we will beat those foreskins down..who have they faced with top running games and a mobile QB? curious , havent followed who they've played yet..

Batman1980

Reaction score
FEED.
THE.
BEAST.

don't shrink...run it.

tenor.gif

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The 1 & 15 season led to the Cowboys taking Aikman. We drafted Walsh later in the supplemental, I believe. I'm too lazy to look it up.

maryquality

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The 1 & 15 season led to the Cowboys taking Aikman. We drafted Walsh later in the supplemental, I believe. I'm too lazy to look it up.
Actually, the 1-15 season was Aikman's rookie season. The prior season, we were 3-13, I believe, with Tom Landry. Aikman was on Landry's wish list. However, Jerry Jones bought the team, fired Landry, hired Jimmy Johnson, and then drafted Aikman., The rest is history!!

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Anyone who has watched them know how well their young 3 linemen are doing?
I know Settle made some noise in PS, but I haven't watched one snap of theirs yet.
Me either,,, reckon neither of us can say that after Sunday though,HuH?:laugh:

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
The offensive leaders are all saying the right things... got to win this week or last week doesn't matter, need to improve communications on the road etc... IMO-- the 40-7 beatdown we just handed Jax should result in Dallas coming out with a lot of confidence and conviction. I'm actually glad this game is on the road. The added pressure of a road game should help them keep their edge and stay focused on this division rivalry matchup.

The Skins are a decent defense-- but they are not elite. We need to avoid getting too cute-- and simply line up and found the rock, run Dak, take some shots off play action, and wear them down with Zeke. The longer we can sustain drives-- the more likely they are to break down and give up some big plays in the 2nd half.

But make no mistake-- this WILL be a dogfight. I don't see a blowout either way, nor will it be a shootout. Both defenses are capable of making big plays-- and both QBs are actually really careful with the ball. Special teams will be big on Sunday-- and with Austin hurting-- not sure we have a real threat in the kicking game-- but we do have an excellent punter and PK.

ghst187

Reaction score
The Commanders are ranked 4th in the NFL against the run. We are the No. 2 rushing team in the NFL. How well do you think we can do running the ball against them this week?

Not sure they haven’t been building their run D specifically to deal with our run O

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Actually, the 1-15 season was Aikman's rookie season. The prior season, we were 3-13, I believe, with Tom Landry. Aikman was on Landry's wish list. However, Jerry Jones bought the team, fired Landry, hired Jimmy Johnson, and then drafted Aikman., The rest is history!!

You are correct. I should not have been so lazy! :)

Nerm222

Reaction score
Anyone who has watched them know how well their young 3 linemen are doing?
I know Settle made some noise in PS, but I haven't watched one snap of theirs yet.

I think Allen has been considered their best front 7 player on D this year. He has played up to expectations for them so far. Payne has a couple sacks/pressures but he also has been tossed aside on a few big runs against the Skins. Most Skins fans seem to be encouraged by his performance so far, but there is a natural tendency for fans to chalk up his bad plays to a rookie learning curve. I think he has shown more at this point than Taco did in the first half of last season for Dallas, but it is tough to compare a DT and DE in different systems. Settle has had little playing time, and has had no impact when he has had snaps.