Running into/Roughing the kicker

superpunk

Reaction score
Does anyone know of any reason for this distinction? I have a feeling that this should go the way of the facemask incidental penalty. You either hit the kicker or you didn't. They don't call "Running Into the Passer."

Time for this rule to be all or nothing. Either make it a 5 yard penalty, or make it a personal foul, every time. There is no point to the distinction.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Last night was running into because of a little pump.

Taking a punter out is roughing.

It's a judgement call the officials have to make. Sometime I don't trust that judgement very much. But there is a difference.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I think the rule should be the same for QBs personally. Running into and roughing. There is a huge difference between some of those calls on QBs, some easily are worth 15, some shouldn't even be a penalty. I think a distinction would be a good move by the league.

Also, Sam P. deserves some sort of award for that job he did to draw the penalty.

Word Mofo

Reaction score
Future;2496247 said:
Also, Sam P. deserves some sort of award for that job he did to draw the penalty.

The 2008 Oscar for best actor goes to.... ( opening envelope ).... Sam Paulescu for his performance in "The Agony and the Ecstacy"

Go Big D!

Destination End Zone
Reaction score
Word Mofo;2496254 said:
The 2008 Oscar for best actor goes to.... ( opening envelope ).... Sam Paulescu for his performance in "The Agony and the Ecstacy"

lol! That was a great touch when he grabbed his hammy!

slotshot

Reaction score
You kinda wonder if punters practice this stuff...McBriar didn't act as injured as Sam. Unfortunately, he actually WAS. I've liked Sam ever since his big takle several weeks ago.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
superpunk;2496118 said:
Does anyone know of any reason for this distinction? I have a feeling that this should go the way of the facemask incidental penalty. You either hit the kicker or you didn't. They don't call "Running Into the Passer."

Time for this rule to be all or nothing. Either make it a 5 yard penalty, or make it a personal foul, every time. There is no point to the distinction.

I agree and at one time there was only a 15 yarder roughing the kicker. Heck I think more teams including our should go after blocks more often because the odds are you will get called for running into not roughing so if you are looking at 6 yards or more for the 1st down go after the block.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
superpunk;2496118 said:

Well, if they do it like the facemask rule, the current 5-yarders just wouldn't be called, leaving only the personal foul. Makes sense to me to change it, especially since that's (I believe) the only place where that distinction is made anymore. They don't distinguish between running into and roughing the passer, and they don't have a 5-yard penalty for running into a defenseless receiver, and the facemask distinction is gone.