Russian President Given Super Bowl Ring

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
[font=arial,] Report: Russian President Putin pockets Patriots owner's Super Bowl ring[/font]
[font=arial,]BOSTON, Massachusetts - Russian President Vladimir Putin walked off with New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft's diamond-encrusted 2005 Super Bowl ring, but was it a generous gift or a very expensive international misunderstanding?[/font]

[font=arial,]Following a meeting of American business executives and Putin at Konstantinovsky Palace near St. Petersburg on Saturday, Kraft showed the ring to Putin -- who tried it on, put it in his pocket and left, according to Russian news reports.

[/font]​
[font=arial,] [font=arial,] [/font][/font]
[font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,]It wasn't clear if Kraft, whose business interests include paper and packaging companies and venture capital investments, intended that Putin keep the ring.

[/font]
[/font]
[/font]​
[font=arial,][font=arial,] [font=arial,] [/font][/font][/font] [font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,] [font=arial,] [/font][/font][/font][/font]
[font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,]Stacey James, a spokesman for the football team, said Wednesday that Kraft was traveling and he hadn't talked to him in four or five days, despite e-mails and calls.

[/font]
[/font]
[/font]
[/font]
[/font]​
[font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,] [font=arial,] [/font][/font][/font][/font][/font] [font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,] [font=arial,] [/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font]
[font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,]"He's still overseas, I can't even tell you where. ... He's not due back until next week."[/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font]
[font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,] [font=arial,] [/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font] [font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,] [font=arial,] [/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font]
[font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,]"It's an incredible story. I just haven't been able to talk to Robert Kraft to confirm the story," James told The Associated Press.

[/font]
[/font]
[/font]
[/font]
[/font]
[/font]
[/font]
[/font]
[/font]​
[font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,] [font=arial,] [/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font] [font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,] [font=arial,] [/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font]
[font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,]However, a Kremlin official who spoke on condition of anonymity out of fear of compromising his position told the AP the ring was a present. "Such a present was made," the official said.

[/font]
[/font]
[/font]
[/font]
[/font]
[/font]
[/font]
[/font]
[/font]
[/font]
[/font]​
[font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,] [font=arial,] [/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font] [font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,] [font=arial,] [/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font]
[font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,]He said Putin had given the ring to the Kremlin library where other foreign gifts are kept.[/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font]
[font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,] [font=arial,] [/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font] [font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,] [font=arial,] [/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font]
[font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,]James said the ring's worth was "substantially more" than $15,000, as the value had been reported. He refused to be specific, but noted that the ring has 124 diamonds.

[/font]
[/font]
[/font]
[/font]
[/font]
[/font]
[/font]
[/font]
[/font]
[/font]
[/font]
[/font]
[/font]
[/font]
[/font]​
[font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,] [font=arial,] [/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font] [font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,] [font=arial,] [/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font]
[font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,]Kraft handed out Super Bowl rings to players and coaches at his home two weeks ago.[/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font]
[font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,] [font=arial,] [/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font] [font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,] [font=arial,] [/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font]
[font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,]The Patriots have won three of the last four Super Bowls.[/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font]

Dayton Cowboy

Reaction score
Check out the spin zone on this now.

http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news?slug=ap-kraftsring&prov=ap&type=lgns

Russian president gets Super gift from Patriots owner

June 30, 2005
BOSTON (AP) -- Russian President Vladimir Putin walked off with New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft's diamond-encrusted 2005 Super Bowl ring during a recent meeting with U.S. business executives.

But not to worry: Kraft says the ring was a gift to Putin, presented out of ``respect and admiration.''

Earlier, The Boston Globe had speculated that Kraft hadn't meant to give away the ring.

1120096032.jpg

``I showed the president my most recent Super Bowl ring,'' Kraft said in a statement released Wednesday. The Russian president ``was clearly taken with its uniqueness,'' Kraft said.

``At that point, I decided to give him the ring as a symbol of the respect and admiration that I have for the Russian people and the leadership of President Putin,'' Kraft said.

Putin met with the businessmen Saturday at Konstantinovsky Palace near St. Petersburg, Russia. Near the end of the meeting, Kraft took off the ring, and handed it to Putin. Putin tried it on, put it in his pocket and left, according to Russian news reports.

According to Patriots spokesman Stacey James, the ring -- which is encrusted with 124 diamonds -- has a value of ``substantially more'' than the previously reported $15,000.

A senior Kremlin official, Dmitry Peskov, told The Associated Press that Putin had given the ring to the Kremlin library where other foreign gifts are kept.

Kraft's business interests include paper and packaging companies and venture capital investments. He handed out Super Bowl rings to players and coaches at his home two weeks ago.

The Patriots have won three of the last four Super Bowls.

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
A quote from ES on this topic:

' There are more SB rings in the Kremlin than there are in Philly'

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
One Ring to rule them all

One Ring to find them

One Ring to bring them all

and in the darkness bind them

Peace

parchy

Reaction score
The first thing I thought of when I heard this was, "Jerry would never let some commie within 5 miles of his Super Bowl rings."

calico

Reaction score
"In Soviet-Russia, ring owns you."

I could not resist...and yes, I know the Soviet Union is dead. ;)

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
SkinsandTerps said:
A quote from ES on this topic:' There are more SB rings in the Kremlin than there are in Philly'

Your team should know ...

You've already got the Red and Gold colors, just change your name to the Reds ...the Kremlin is the only Red Zone you'll be crossing this year anyway ...comrade!

ussr-t.gif

:D :hammer:

jksmith269

Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995
Reaction score
Phoenix-Talon said:
This could be the start of the RFL (Russian Football League)!;)
Actually Craft's company likes to buy military ships and chop them up and make razor's out of them. so he could be looking at making a deal out of it.

Gillett bought the USS Midway after it's Decom in 1992 and made Razor blades out of it. I hate Craft's company for that.

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
jksmith269 said:
Gillett bought the USS Midway after it's Decom in 1992 and made Razor blades out of it. I hate Craft's company for that.

I didn't know that. That's outrageous! Agree, Craft's company sukz for doing that!

jksmith269

Reaction score
Phoenix-Talon said:
I didn't know that. That's outrageous! Agree, Craft's company sukz for doing that!
My Squadron was VFA-151 when the Midway was Decomed we were relocated to NAS Lemoore CA about a year later at quarters one day our CO told us that the Midway had been purchased by Gillett and was going to be used to make razor blades. B4 the decom we were told she was going to be used as a musuem considering her history but I guess money talks. and Clinton was President at the time so things just worked out that way.

Irving Cowboy

The Chief
Reaction score
jksmith269 said:
My Squadron was VFA-151 when the Midway was Decomed we were relocated to NAS Lemoore CA about a year later at quarters one day our CO told us that the Midway had been purchased by Gillett and was going to be used to make razor blades. B4 the decom we were told she was going to be used as a musuem considering her history but I guess money talks. and Clinton was President at the time so things just worked out that way.
Rest your heart... your CO had his facts wrong. The mighty Midway is now a museum in San Diego, CA. When I was there back in June of last year I helped clean her up and prepare her for opening to the public, then went back and toured her in October after she opened up. They have done a great job with her. Go to www.midway.org to see her.

I know how you feel... they are looking at sinking my first ship, the USS Independence, to create an artificial reef. My second ship, the USS Saratoga, is currently in Rhode Island, I hear they want to open her up as a museum also. There is so much history in those old carriers, I don't know how you can do anything else with them.

jksmith269

Reaction score
Irving Cowboy said:
Rest your heart... your CO had his facts wrong. The mighty Midway is now a museum in San Diego, CA. When I was there back in June of last year I helped clean her up and prepare her for opening to the public, then went back and toured her in October after she opened up. They have done a great job with her. Go to www.midway.org to see her.

I know how you feel... they are looking at sinking my first ship, the USS Independence, to create an artificial reef. My second ship, the USS Saratoga, is currently in Rhode Island, I hear they want to open her up as a museum also. There is so much history in those old carriers, I don't know how you can do anything else with them.
Does she (the Midway) still have the list to port? When she was decomed she was in WA I wonder when they moved her to SD? Actually I wonder if its even the same ship? but then again there could have been enough made about it that the navy did the right thing and kept her and made her into a museum.