Russian President Given Super Bowl Ring

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
Irving Cowboy said:
Rest your heart... your CO had his facts wrong. The mighty Midway is now a museum in San Diego, CA. www.midway.org to see her.

I'm sure glad Gillette did not scrap USS Midway or any other vessel. Didn't hear about the USS Independence being considered for sinking.

...please clarify, thought the USS Independence was sunk as a target off the California coast in January 1951 ...http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/sh-usn/usnsh-i/cvl22.htm ...

USS Independence (CVL-22)

Afire aft, soon after the "Able Day" atomic bomb air burst test at Bikini on 1 July 1946.
The bomb had exploded off the ship's port quarter, causing massive blast damage in that area, and progressively less further forward.

Official U.S. Navy Photograph, now in the collections of the National Archives.

Now, I have Air Force background, so it may be possible for a ship once sunk, to be reactivated???

I was stationed in Oahu, Hawaii for 4 years. Pearl Harbor Naval Base was our neighbors. Had a chance to tour the USS Arizona. As you remember in history, on December 7, 1941, the USS Arizona was sunk by enemy aircraft ...
specials_pearlharbor.jpg

I have a a folded American flag that has actually been flown over the USS Arizona.

notherbob

Reaction score
Maybe that will teach Kraft and others to be careful who they're bragging to, somebody liable to steal your thunder or something.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
A caller to the Rome show a couple of days ago had some good lines about this.

He said, now Kraft knows how it feels to have a Super Bowl ring stolen and wondered if Putin's arm was going forward when he slipped the ring into his pocket.

Yes, the caller was a Raider fan.

Jon88

Benched
Reaction score
Am I the only one who would have told him, "I'm sorry, but that wasn't a gift,"?

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
jksmith269 said:
Actually Craft's company likes to buy military ships and chop them up and make razor's out of them. so he could be looking at making a deal out of it.

Gillett bought the USS Midway after it's Decom in 1992 and made Razor blades out of it. I hate Craft's company for that.
Bob Kraft does not own Gillette, a Boston based company which is over 100 years old.. There are two Gillette-Patriots connections. The first is Victor Kiam, Gillete president who owned the Pats before Kraft bought the franchise. The second connection is new stadium naming rights were bought by Gillette after CMGI bailed out.

But far as I know, Kraft never had even partial ownership of Gillete. He made his money the old-fashioned way - he married it. But Kraft, a Harvard MBA, did turn around Mrs K's dad's paper company into a much more lucrative concern. And of course turned the Patiots into the second highest NFL revenue producer. (2nd to the Skins, last I saw, anyway)

Irving Cowboy

The Chief
Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
Bob Kraft does not own Gillette, a Boston based company which is over 100 years old.. There are two Gillette-Patriots connections. The first is Victor Kiam, Gillete president who owned the Pats before Kraft bought the franchise. The second connection is new stadium naming rights were bought by Gillette after CMGI bailed out.

But far as I know, Kraft never had even partial ownership of Gillete. He made his money the old-fashioned way - he married it. But Kraft, a Harvard MBA, did turn around Mrs K's dad's paper company into a much more lucrative concern. And of course turned the Patiots into the second highest NFL revenue producer. (2nd to the Skins, last I saw, anyway)
IIRC, Victor Kiam owned Remington, not Gillette...

The Midway does not have her list to port anymore, she sits perfect down there in the bay in San Diego. Probably 1/4 of the ship is open to the public, including the Hangar Bays, the machine shop down on the second deck, the mess decks, there is a berthing just forward of Hangar Bay One that is open, not sure who it belonged to. The flight deck and bridge are of course open, Flight Deck Control, the Jet Shop has been converted into a memoribilia shop and the fantail is now a cafe'. They are constantly working on more and more of her to open up, it just takes a lot of time, as you probably well know. She was towed down from Bremerton to San Diego in May or June of last year, (I know, because I used to see her every day driving into work on the Vinson).

As for the Independence, I am talking about CV-62, not CVA-22. CV-62 is still sitting in Bremerton awaiting her fate, alongside the USS Ranger and USS Constellation. The Ranger is being considered as a museum for either Tacoma or Portland.