Ryan Leaf as QB COACH!

21JJ21

Reaction score
NCAA | Leaf joins the coaching ranks
Tue, 14 Feb 2006 15:48:05 -0800
The Associated Press reports West Texas A&M has hired former NFL QB Ryan Leaf as their new quarterbacks coach.

WOW...this guy still alive haha

KINGBRICE_28

Reaction score
well...he knows HOW to play he just couldn't read NFL d's that's all......it's easy on paper though so he'll climb the ladder.......

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Yet another bust of a pedigreed big armed QB in Dallas.....

Good to see him working.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
FarWestCowboy said:
I'm just glad that Mike Price didn't bring him to UTEP. He would have probably jinxed us.
:welcome: to the forum. Please post any and all articles on Thomas Howard that you can.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
21JJ21 said:
The Associated Press reports West Texas A&M has hired former NFL QB Ryan Leaf as their new quarterbacks coach.

Welcome Sir....enjoy the board.

RiggoForever

Benched
Reaction score
21JJ21 said:

Leaf and Shuler...two of the biggest busts in NFL History in the same draft year. If anything, Leaf can coach players and forewarn them what NOT to do when going into the NFL.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
RiggoForever said:
Leaf and Shuler...two of the biggest busts in NFL History in the same draft year. If anything, Leaf can coach players and forewarn them what NOT to do when going into the NFL.
Ryan Leaf was drafted in 1998, 1 spot behind Peyton Manning.

Heath Shuler was drafted in 1994, right behind Marshall Faulk and 1 before Willie McGinnist

joseephuss

Reaction score
cowboy101 said:
I think he has the mechanics but just had bad luck with injury.

Everything I heard was that Leaf just didn't want to put in the work. He didn't practice hard and he didn't study film. No one has enough talent to get by in the NFL at QB without studying game tapes. He isn't going to be much of a coach unless he has changed his ways.

Khartun

AmarilloCowboyFan
Reaction score
After years of being the laughing stock of the Division, WT finally had a breakout year last year after hiring Don Carthel to coach. Man I hope Ryan Leaf doesn't send us back into the toilet.

jimmy40

Reaction score
21JJ21 said:

Something about the names A&M and Ryan Leaf just go together.:laugh2: I'm surprised he's not coming to College Station.
Oh well, if anyone can tell a QB what NOT to do, it's Ryan Leaf.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
AmarilloCowboyFan said:
After years of being the laughing stock of the Division, WT finally had a breakout year last year after hiring Don Carthel to coach. Man I hope Ryan Leaf doesn't send us back into the toilet.

How is Carthel doing?

I knew him a long time ago when he was at ENMU.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Leaf sounded a little more mature during his interview with Dan Patrick today on ESPN radio. He said his really enjoyed his time in Dallas and that was his favorite time during his brief NFL tenure.

Z-Man

Reaction score
Chief said:
How is Carthel doing?

As far as coaching he's doing great. He had WTAMU on an undefeated streak for a long time before they finally lost and they were ranked high. Seems like a good guy and a great coach.

Khartun

AmarilloCowboyFan
Reaction score
Chief said:
How is Carthel doing?

Carthel is great!

You know he was coaching our AFL2 team. Their first year in the league and they were doing great. Then WT hired him after they fired Ronnie Jones and his first year the Buffs go to the playoffs. After his recruits get into starting positions I fully expect us to be a great team.

I believe WT could have hired him when they took Ronnie Jones. Man was that a mistake.

Z-Man

Reaction score
AmarilloCowboyFan said:
Carthel is great!

You know he was coaching our AFL2 team. Their first year in the league and they were doing great. Then WT hired him after they fired Ronnie Jones and his first year the Buffs go to the playoffs. After his recruits get into starting positions I fully expect us to be a great team.

I believe WT could have hired him when they took Ronnie Jones. Man was that a mistake.
But they mistook Ronnie Jones previous NFL experience as having good coaching skills. Carthel basically brought this program back from the dead and with players he didn't recruit.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
Carthel is a good guy, tireless worker and a great recruiter.

His best recruit at ENMU was Michael Sinclair, who went on to be a very good defensive end for the Seahawks.

Carthel led ENMU to a Lone Star Conference championship, then resigned to farm for a few years and watch his son play. It's impressive that he can leave the tractor, step back onto the sidelines and start winning again that quickly.