Nors

Benched
Reaction score
OUT LOUD: Buddy Ryan

E-mail this story

Printer-friendly format
Search archives

OUT LOUD
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Steve Rosenbloom chats with sports and entertainment figures in the news.

More Headlines
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View from a Bears Fan

He was fast in '85? You should see him now

Ogunleye close to full recovery

Bears sign 2nd pick Bradley

Bears camp schedule

Buy Bears gear at the ChicagoSports.com Store.

Ads by Google
1985 Chicago Bears on DVD
The Complete Season on 28 DVDs! 139.99 + Free Ship 718-954-2777
www.bayridgeconservativemonthly.com

Super Bowl Shuffle DVD
The 1985 Bears road to Victory DVD at MPI Home Video - Special Offer!
www.mpihomevideo.com

It Worked on The Bambino
Rid Chicago of Its Curse. Get The Shirt Everyone Is Talking About!
www.CurseReverse.com

Our Curse is Worse shirt
t-shirts for Chicago Baseball Fans Our Curse is Worse!
www.ourcurseisworse.com

Chicago Believe T-Shirts
Cubs fans the 2005 baseball season is here. Now it's our turn!
www.drunkenbleachers.com

July 2, 2005

Buddy Ryan doesn't get defensive with Steve Rosenbloom and his questions.
I told them regardless of what happened, they'd always be my heroes, and walked out (In the meeting with his defensive players the night before the Super Bowl). They all were crying and yelling. It was a very emotional thing.

I never planned much of anything like that. I found it works better if you have the feeling, you know?

Being carried off the field in the Super Bowl in Chicago. That's a great honor that your players carried you off after the game. It's never been done to an assistant coach before or since.

I don't have anything to tell you about Mike Ditka.

I don't have feelings either way.

Mr. Halas gave me the job a month before he hired Ditka and told me to hire my coaches.

A dumb player gets you beat, and a guy that's scared will get you beat. You have to have intelligence and toughness.

The players executed, and they just scared people.

I think there was actually some fear. People laugh when you say "NFL" and have somebody scared. Well, believe me, we had them scared.

The funniest thing happened when the Oakland Raiders came to town and we beat up on them physically and mentally and every other way, and they left and said we were the dirtiest team they'd ever seen. That was a great one.

When they started out as rooks, they were numbers. As they got up and played well, I started calling them by name.

If you remember, Mike Singletary and Todd Bell and Al Harris all held out that year. I spent the whole off-season begging them to sign up. Singletary did, but the other two didn' t come into the fold, so they didn't get a Super Bowl ring.

Moments that year? Oh, they were all great. Dominated in the Super Bowl the way we did.

We'd always score the first 10 points of the game on defense and then give the offense the ball on the plus-40.

He (Dan Hampton) and I own some horses together, and he's kind of a country guy. Great player.

If something broke down, he'd (Gary Fencik) jump the pattern. He's a super-smart guy. To play our defense, you had to be smart, and you had to be tough. Gary qualified both ways.

They wanted me to play a three-man line, so they went out and got a nose tackle (William Perry), so they thought. But he could only play a couple plays, and then he had to rest.
I used to play the players in racquetball in Chicago all the time. I competed that way. I beat them most of the time. McMahon could beat me. He's too good for me. But most of them I could beat.

Weeb Ewbank hired me (As an assistant coach for the New York Jets, including the 1969 team that stunned the Baltimore Colts in Super Bowl III), and we only had four coaches back in those days, so you had to do it all--you had the draft, you had to scout, you had to coach. You learned a lot under Weeb

Ol Ryan's defense really attacked an offense and other than Perry's few dominant year(s) faded away into football historybooks.