Ryder Cup 2023

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
I’m a massive golf fan and this is one of the best sporting events in all sports. I attended Medinah in 2012 and Hazeltine in 2016. Incredible stuff and like a football crowd at a soccer event.

With that said we are getting spanked in Rome. Lost all morning matches to go down 4-0. Losing 3 of 4 now. They need to salvage at least 2 points going into tomorrow! Hate having to keep up with them being so far ahead over there but let’s go!!

USA!!

Mannix

Reaction score
6 1/2 - 1 1/2 OMG....I am finding it really hard to even root for the US anymore...what a gutless bunch...not just this bunch, but all the other wussies who have choked on foreign soil over the last THIRTY years. I like Zach Johnson because he and Kurt Warner both went to my high school....however, he is NOT Captain material...and I've always found him to be kind of socially awkward. This is just flat out embarrassing....oh, and OVER!!!

Miller

Reaction score
6 1/2 - 1 1/2 OMG....I am finding it really hard to even root for the US anymore...what a gutless bunch...not just this bunch, but all the other wussies who have choked on foreign soil over the last THIRTY years. I like Zach Johnson because he and Kurt Warner both went to my high school....however, he is NOT Captain material...and I've always found him to be kind of socially awkward. This is just flat out embarrassing....oh, and OVER!!!
Yeah that was brutal and I'd use some really bad words that sound like wuss to describe their performance. Choked in multiple afternoon matches. I mean you are 2 up with 2 to play and could have parred 17 to win. Choke plain and simple. I didn't mind our Captain picks but looking back at how bad we have done on Euro soil I might have just brought Reed, DJ and Bryson instead of soft pretty boys like Rickie and Colin. Just have zero fire.

Plankton

Reaction score
All the Euros have to do is set up a course with tight fairways, and the US melts. Every. Time.

And, when the US sets up the courses in America for the home matches, they have fairways the width of a California expressway. And they play better.

Perhaps the US players should learn how to play with more control off the tee instead of just being bombs away. Could help a bit.

Mannix

Reaction score
Yeah that was brutal and I'd use some really bad words that sound like wuss to describe their performance. Choked in multiple afternoon matches. I mean you are 2 up with 2 to play and could have parred 17 to win. Choke plain and simple. I didn't mind our Captain picks but looking back at how bad we have done on Euro soil I might have just brought Reed, DJ and Bryson instead of soft pretty boys like Rickie and Colin. Just have zero fire.
Not a big fan of him, but to not bring Bryson was braindead....Speith has become just a headcase, and should have stayed home due to his inaccuracy off the tee. He was a boat anchor to JT.

Miller

Reaction score
Not a big fan of him, but to not bring Bryson was braindead....Speith has become just a headcase, and should have stayed home due to his inaccuracy off the tee. He was a boat anchor to JT.
Agree! Not a fan of many of the guys who went to LIV but with the RC...who cares...get guys who have a little X factor. Spieth was horrible and it was basically 1 vs 2 for JT the last 5 holes

Plankton

Reaction score
DeChambeau would be a disaster on this course. He was awful back in 2019 in France because he couldn't hit a fairway. The US style of play is too much bombs away off the tee with accuracy not a primary consideration. Today, the guys who are supposed to be accurate, like Collin Morakawa and Brian Harman, did not play well. The US will have to have a 180 take place tomorrow to be able to win this. If they are any worse than trailing 9-7 after tomorrow, they have no chance. Probably don't anyway.

Mannix

Reaction score
Zach Johnson making Hal Sutton look like a rocket scientist....talking Spieth out of driver when they need Eagle to continue playing....wow!!!

Scottishcowboy

Reaction score
Need to ask you all for an American viewpoint as I am shocked at such a classless act. Cannot believe Zak at the presser said "just emotions". He should have said may I apologise on behalf on my team a d the caddy is on route to the airport home.

He didn't cross the line, the line is a dot its so far away. Shades of 99 with the run on 17 green.

I'm prepared to be shot at here but genuinely want to hear a USA view.

Miller

Reaction score
Need to ask you all for an American viewpoint as I am shocked at such a classless act. Cannot believe Zak at the presser said "just emotions". He should have said may I apologise on behalf on my team a d the caddy is on route to the airport home.

He didn't cross the line, the line is a dot its so far away. Shades of 99 with the run on 17 green.

Not going to lie…Rory is being a little baby. Love the guy. Great player and dude but stop whining.

Here is my issue…as I said above I’ve attended two of these. It’s passionate. Fans cheer water balls and are like a football game crowd. We were getting it handed to us and had a lot of media running false reports. The guys responded late. They celebrated. Did they maybe overdo it? Sure. But Rory needs to stop being a titty baby about it. They’ve done obnoxious stuff too. It’s part of it. As he said today you need thick skin. The NY crowd is going to eat him alive in 2 years

JustChip

Reaction score
I’m a massive golf fan and this is one of the best sporting events in all sports. I attended Medinah in 2012 and Hazeltine in 2016. Incredible stuff and like a football crowd at a soccer event.

With that said we are getting spanked in Rome. Lost all morning matches to go down 4-0. Losing 3 of 4 now. They need to salvage at least 2 points going into tomorrow! Hate having to keep up with them being so far ahead over there but let’s go!!

USA!!
It is truly an amazing event. I was fortunate to be able to go to Oakland Hills in 2004. Similar results as this year.

But, other than Sergio Garcia, the Euro players were very gracious to the fans all week long.

Miller

Reaction score
It is truly an amazing event. I was fortunate to be able to go to Oakland Hills in 2004. Similar results as this year.

But, other than Sergio Garcia, the Euro players were very gracious to the fans all week long.
Yes I loved both my experiences. Though both were very different. Medinah was a little more intimate where the crowds were great but not so large that you couldn't follow and catch action everywhere. I was sitting under a tree waiting on a beer with no one around me on one hole and not 10 feet from me drives up W Bush and his detail. He said hi, asked where we were from and I said living in Chicago(at that time) but from Texas and he said "God's country" Told us to have fun and away they went. I also thought the ribbing/cheering was well received. We made fun of Poulters pink shoes, would cheer water balls on 17. The players on both sides loved it. Fast forward to Hazeltine and they sold WAY too many tickets. Crowds were so large that we bought stools on Sunday to see over the crowds. Crowds were also way more belligerent. It was a small percentage but it was there.I was right next to a guy who got kicked out because as Rory walked 2 feet from us going from one green to the next tee box he yelled "hey Rory, bet your girlfriend doesn't like your wee Irish d$%^" Rory turned, pointed at the guy and he was gone. I felt like Medinah was almost like a secret as in "no one except golf nerds really understands how awesome this is" and Hazeltine was more obnoxious where any sports fan could get a ticket and yell....though we had a blast.

Plankton

Reaction score

A caddy shouldn't be getting involved in anything, but Rory made a bigger deal of it than it really was. Some of it was calculated on his part to manufacture a rallying cry for Sunday.

JustChip

Reaction score
Not going to lie…Rory is being a little baby. Love the guy. Great player and dude but stop whining.

Here is my issue…as I said above I’ve attended two of these. It’s passionate. Fans cheer water balls and are like a football game crowd. We were getting it handed to us and had a lot of media running false reports. The guys responded late. They celebrated. Did they maybe overdo it? Sure. But Rory needs to stop being a titty baby about it. They’ve done obnoxious stuff too. It’s part of it. As he said today you need thick skin. The NY crowd is going to eat him alive in 2 years
Yep. There is no crowd like a NY crowd. I went to the Open in ‘06 and those fans were brutal. Strange thing was they were very supportive of Mickelson, kind if adopted him. Even after his meltdown.

Plankton

Reaction score
One thing that the US side really needs to think about doing is to use the break between the FedEx Cup and the Ryder Cup to their advantage. Make it mandatory for the team to go to some site, be it domestic or overseas, for two weeks, and have there be an internal competition between team members in fourball and foursome matches, and also singles. Do this to determine your teams, and even allow them to gamble with each other on this to add some skin and flavor to this. Make it competitive as hell. They can't have a non-competitive layoff like they had going into this.

They also need to seriously look into addressing how they approach team construction for foreign matches based off of style of play. They need more guys who can hit fairways consistently and make a freaking putt. Europe did both of these, the US did not.