#s 1-10, 2005 draft, discuss in retrospect

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Were all 10 teams equally stupid in 2005? Or are the Cowboys the only team who ever get stuck with "what if"...for the mentally challenged, pick #11 was DeMarcus Ware

:rolleyes:

1 1 Alex Smith 49ers QB Utah
2 2 Ronnie Brown Dolphins RB Auburn
3 3 Braylon Edwards Browns WR Michigan
4 4 Cedric Benson Bears RB Texas
5 5 Carnell Williams Buccaneers RB Auburn
6 6 Adam Jones Titans CB West Virginia
7 7 Troy Williamson Vikings WR South Carolina
8 8 Antrel Rolle Cardinals CB Miami
9 9 Carlos Rogers Commanders CB Auburn
10 10 Mike Williams Lions WR USC

jay cee

Reaction score
dbair1967;2985173 said:
Were all 10 teams equally stupid in 2005? Or are the Cowboys the only team who ever get stuck with "what if"...for the mentally challenged, pick #11 was DeMarcus Ware

Awwww, heck...... what's the fun in looking back on went right?

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Wonder how many teams regret letting Witten walk by (some of them 3 or 4 times). 31 other teams could have drafted Jat Ratliff or Bradie James and passed on both them a multitude of times. Flozelle Adams and Andre Gurode were 2nd rd picks, bet alot of teams are kicking themselves over that. Marion Barber III was passed over by every team in the league multiple times, look how stupid they are. Tashard Choice too. Tony Romo didnt even interest teams enough to draft him at all in 250+ picks. Alot of teams would probably would have liked to have Patrick Crayton instead of whatever scrub they took late on day two. I bet alot of teams wished they had Maretllus Bennett right now.

The what if stuff is a waste of time. Every team has guys they wished they wouldnt have picked, just like every team has guys they "found" when everyone else missed. It's only fickle fans in CZ that think it ONLY happens to Dallas.

chuffly

Reaction score
That has to be one of the worst set of top 10 picks in a draft of all time.

jay cee

Reaction score
chuffly;2985219 said:
That has to be one of the worst set of top 10 picks in a draft of all time.

I could be wrong, but at the time I think that was considered to be a very strong draft.

Ren

Reaction score
big dog cowboy;2985236 said:
Well, there is a former Cowboy in that list. ;)

pacman.jpg

:muttley:

fanfromvirginia

Inconceivable!
Reaction score
Speaking of Gurode, I will always remember how psyched I was that we picked him. I was living in Boulder, CO at the time and that was the year that CU made just an incredible end-of-season run on the back of an unstoppable running game. They trounced several teams in a row (including good Nebraska and Texas teams). Gurode was a monster during that run.

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
Here's another one, 1988:

1. Atlanta - Aundray Bruce, DE Auburn
2. Kansas City - Neil Smith, DE Nebraska
3. Detroit - Bennie Blades, S Miami
4. Tampa Bay - Paul Gruber, T Wisconsin
5. Cincinnati - Rickey Dixon, DB Oklahoma
6. L.A. Raiders - Tim Brown, WR Notre Dame
7. Green Bay - Sterling Sharpe, WR South Carolina
8. N.Y. Jets - Dave Cadigan, G Southern California
9. L.A. Raiders - Terry McDaniel, CB Tennessee
10. N.Y. Giants - Eric Moore, G Indiana
11. Dallas - Michael Irvin, WR Miami

Going into that draft I craved Michael Irvin. Two receivers were rated ahead of him and went ahead of him, but I remember wanting Irvin and as it turned out, we got him and clearly, there's no one in that top 10 I'd rather have. Brown and Sharpe were both good, top notch receivers, but Irvin was "The Playmaker".

AmishCowboy

if you ain't first, you're last
Reaction score
dbair1967;2985185 said:
Wonder how many teams regret letting Witten walk by (some of them 3 or 4 times). 31 other teams could have drafted Jat Ratliff or Bradie James and passed on both them a multitude of times. Flozelle Adams and Andre Gurode were 2nd rd picks, bet alot of teams are kicking themselves over that. Marion Barber III was passed over by every team in the league multiple times, look how stupid they are. Tashard Choice too. Tony Romo didnt even interest teams enough to draft him at all in 250+ picks. Alot of teams would probably would have liked to have Patrick Crayton instead of whatever scrub they took late on day two. I bet alot of teams wished they had Maretllus Bennett right now.

The what if stuff is a waste of time. Every team has guys they wished they wouldnt have picked, just like every team has guys they "found" when everyone else missed. It's only fickle fans in CZ that think it ONLY happens to Dallas.
Philly took LJ Smith instead of Witten, Thank god!

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
Bach;2985264 said:
Here's another one, 1988:

1. Atlanta - Aundray Bruce, DE Auburn
2. Kansas City - Neil Smith, DE Nebraska
3. Detroit - Bennie Blades, S Miami
4. Tampa Bay - Paul Gruber, T Wisconsin
5. Cincinnati - Rickey Dixon, DB Oklahoma
6. L.A. Raiders - Tim Brown, WR Notre Dame
7. Green Bay - Sterling Sharpe, WR South Carolina
8. N.Y. Jets - Dave Cadigan, G Southern California
9. L.A. Raiders - Terry McDaniel, CB Tennessee
10. N.Y. Giants - Eric Moore, G Indiana
11. Dallas - Michael Irvin, WR Miami

Going into that draft I craved Michael Irvin. Two receivers were rated ahead of him and went ahead of him, but I remember wanting Irvin and as it turned out, we got him and clearly, there's no one in that top 10 I'd rather have. Brown and Sharpe were both good, top notch receivers, but Irvin was "The Playmaker".

Neil Smith was a 6-time Pro-Bowler and racked up 104.5 sacks in his 12-year career. Not a bad top-10 pick IMO.

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
THUMPER;2985290 said:
Neil Smith was a 6-time Pro-Bowler and racked up 104.5 sacks in his 12-year career. Not a bad top-10 pick IMO.

Neil Smith was a very good player. Great career. I'd still take Irvin though.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
dbair1967;2985173 said:

Wow! That's hilarious! DWare for president!

WarDaddy

kidcrook
Reaction score
Ronnie Brown is a very good player. Carlos Rogers is not bad either. I guess this shows you that most teams will reach for need. We've done it more than a few times.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
jay cee;2985177 said:
Awwww, heck...... what's the fun in looking back on went right?
We rarely agree on anything.

Post of the day.

arglebargle

Reaction score
Hostile;2985391 said:
Not for the Cowboys. It was a stellar draft for us.
Absolutely!

Was reading an article on the 2005 draft recently that said if there was a do-over, DeMarcus Ware would be the first pick in the draft.

And the 2005 draft is now considered to have been a very poor one. But the Cowboys hit like crazy in that draft and would now have the single A+ rating from it.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Ware went 11 b/c he did the unthinkable... not quit school to dedicate himself 100% to improving his draft stock. Dumb *** choose to graduate instead.