S vs. CB

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
What is the bigger need EARLY in the draft? I say S...…………………...skewer away.
S and its not close.

Worst case Dallas will be Awuzie and Lewis starting at CB. But is that really bad? If they lose Jones and Brown they still have 2 starters. If anything you get better tackling and better ball skills inserting Lewis to starter.

JeffInDC

Reaction score
S and its not close.

Worst case Dallas will be Awuzie and Lewis starting at CB. But is that really bad? If they lose Jones and Brown they still have 2 starters. If anything you get better tackling and better ball skills inserting Lewis to starter.

I’m thinking McKinney from ‘Bama (if he declares) said still be on the board where Dallas currently picks. NOW, if they lose Sunday, they’ll have a shot at Delpit (if he declares).

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
1-Tech
Safety
Everything else

DT. a pass rushing and great run stopping one, both. Very hard to find, however.

Really a S helps the corners, and vice versa, so either one is fine. Depends on which is available when the Cowboys draft, getting a pretty good safety just to get a safety, and passing on a great (potentially) corner, is not the way to go. A Deion-type corner, who can handle opponent's no. 1 receiver one on one, lets teams double up somewhere else.

Best of either S or CB, if the DT isn't available, is what I'd do....

JeffInDC

Reaction score
DT. a pass rushing and great run stopping one, both. Very hard to find, however.

Really a S helps the corners, and vice versa, so either one is fine. Depends on which is available when the Cowboys draft, getting a pretty good safety just to get a safety, and passing on a great (potentially) corner, is not the way to go. A Deion-type corner, who can handle opponent's no. 1 receiver one on one, lets teams double up somewhere else.

Best of either S or CB, if the DT isn't available, is what I'd do....

It's just my opinion, BUT, I don't think the club needs a 1T that's a great pass-rusher. When I think of great 1T/NT, I see Casey Hampton in his prime for the Steelers, or Gilbert Brown in GB, Pat Williams in Minny, or (even more recently), Vince Wilfork in his NE prime. None of them ever had more than 4 sacks in a season. But, what they did AMAZINGLY WELL was destroy the inside running game and occasionally provide a middle barrier in the passing game (if they were still on the field) that didn't allow the QB to step up in the pocket - pocket pushers. I think that can be even more important than sacks - allows the ends to feast.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
S and its not close.

Nickel is base - Lewis is a starter right now.

The Cowboys have good starting safeties, they would have horrible corners if they lose both Jones and Brown.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
What is the bigger need EARLY in the draft? I say S...…………………...skewer away.
My question is who is available. Both positions are a need, but I wouldn't reach on a less CB or S because I considered it a bigger need