Sacks taken in Week 1

Nav22

Reaction score
https://x.com/mike_nyy/status/1702046871995248852?s=46&t=ut6ZMyDCZW0rowDTrsWE-g

Interesting chart here, comparing the relationship between "time to pressure" (how quickly the QB was pressured on average) and how many sacks each QB took.

My takeaways:

- Dak took 0 sacks despite middle-of-the-pack pass protection vs a very talented DL. He was getting the ball out QUICK, and in a separate tweet I saw that Dak's "time to throw" was easily fastest in the league in Week 1.

-Daniel Jones took a league-high SEVEN sacks despite not having that much less "time to pressure" than Dak (on average).

-Sam Howell took SIX sacks despite having ages to throw.

-Joe Burrow's pass protection was horrific. Bengals O was horrific.

-Tua's pass protection wasn't much better than Burrow's, but he still lit up the Chargers.

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
https://x.com/mike_nyy/status/1702046871995248852?s=46&t=ut6ZMyDCZW0rowDTrsWE-g

Interesting chart here, comparing the relationship between "time to pressure" (how quickly the QB was pressured on average) and how many sacks each QB took.

My takeaways:

- Dak took 0 sacks despite middle-of-the-pack pass protection vs a very talented DL. He was getting the ball out QUICK, and in a separate tweet I saw that Dak's "time to throw" was easily fastest in the league in Week 1.

-Daniel Jones took a league-high SEVEN sacks despite not having that much less "time to pressure" than Dak (on average).

-Sam Howell took SIX sacks despite having ages to throw.

-Joe Burrow's pass protection was horrific. Bengals O was horrific.

-Tua's pass protection wasn't much better than Burrow's, but he still lit up the Chargers.
Typically coverage and pass rush are pretty complimentary. It’s a little harder to quantify coverage quality though.

Time to release is usually the best metric you can use to determine how many sacks a QB will take over a given season. For years Tom Brady has the lowest time to release and generally took the fewest sacks of any starter in the league.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
Playing fast like this is such a fantastic idea. The other thing that I would point to is the lower count of pre snap penalties. The linemen setting and spending 10 seconds trying not to sneeze as WR's and backs shift around was a recipe for a highly penalized team.

If this continues, MM deserves a lot of credit.

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
Dak did not have a clean pocket all day, a few times the pressure arrived a bit early.

And I still think Dak holds the ball a bit too long for my tastes. And he has good pocket presence, but not elite pocket presence...as sometimes the pocket starts to collapse and he doesn't quite feel it. Part of this issue is that Dak's release isn't super quick, so if the pressure gets close, Dak may not be able to get the ball out cleanly.

So, ultimately, I think the o-line is going to have to hold up really well, else the Cowboys passing game will be mediocre, especially on 3rd and 8+ when Dak needs to hold the ball longer.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Dak had a clean pocket all day
Yep and still only managed to lead the team to 2 FGs in the first 28 min until Pollard punched it in. Went the whole first half with no TD passes. In the meantime Tua was chucking bombs down in Miami with far less time. Thank you defense were winning the game and giving Dak a big cushion to get going.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I'm a fan of Kellen Moore. But so far, I like what I see from McCarthy's offense. And his "seize everything" speech could end up being legendary.

Nav22

Reaction score
Yep and still only managed to lead the team to 2 FGs in the first 28 min until Pollard punched it in. Went the whole first half with no TD passes. In the meantime Tua was chucking bombs down in Miami with far less time. Thank you defense were winning the game and giving Dak a big cushion to get going.
"Only managed 2 FG in the first 28 min"

Guess how many drives they had in those first 28 minutes?

TWO!!!!!
:lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2:

Hadenough

Reaction score
"Only managed 2 FG in the first 28 min"

Guess how many drives they had in those first 28 minutes?

TWO!!!!!
:lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2:
Yep and they ended with 2 FGs and one of those they had to go for it on 4th down. Oh and one of those drives for a FG was one big chunk play to Lamb for 49 yards. And things stalled.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
Yep and they ended with 2 FGs and one of those they had to go for it on 4th down. Oh and one of those drives for a FG was one big chunk play to Lamb for 49 yards. And things stalled.
Just want to point out in Miamis first 4 drives, it was 1 fumble, 1 TD, 1FG, 1 punt

Ours was 2 FG, 1 TD, 1 Punt

So we outscored Miami in the first 4 drives.

See how I was able to manipulate the number of drives to make us look better? Also unlike Miami we have a great defense, so why risk turnovers on the road during a rainstorm just to get big plays, when we can just run the ball work the clock and keep the advantage. There's a reason why Kellen Moore is gone, and it's because Mike got tired of him chasing points.

Flamma

Reaction score
Speaking of pass protection, here's something I noticed we did midway through the game. I'm wondering if Quinn noticed this, and was the reason for our DE being so far outside, or just coincidence.

Either Armstrong, DLaw, or both, started lining up way to the right of Evan Neal. Probably in 9 tech. That means Neal has to almost drop straight back to cut off the DE. The problem was, Neal had a RB lined up right behind him, forcing him to take a more horizontal angle, he never had a chance. Neal was bad enough without the actual formation limiting him. This is the best example I could find. You have to go to the 7:28 mark to see the formation and what happens. This wasn't the only time they did this.

Nav22

Reaction score
Guess what?

If a team scored a FG on every single one of its drives for an entire season, they'd average north of 30 PPG and likely lead the entire NFL in scoring.

So in this tiny sample size, 2 FG in 2 drives is uh... well, never mind.

Why let pesky facts get in our way?

"YEAH! OFFENSE SUCKED! ONLY 2 FG IN 2 DRIVES!?"
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Mikexike

Reaction score
Just want to point out in Miamis first 4 drives, it was 1 fumble, 1 TD, 1FG, 1 punt

Ours was 2 FG, 1 TD, 1 Punt

So we outscored Miami in the first 4 drives.

See how I was able to manipulate the number of drives to make us look better? Also unlike Miami we have a great defense, so why risk turnovers on the road during a rainstorm just to get big plays, when we can just run the ball work the clock and keep the advantage. There's a reason why Kellen Moore is gone, and it's because Mike got tired of him chasing points.
Love your post, I myself hated Kellen Moore because he did not know how to call plays with how the flow of the game was going. Big fan of the first game Mike called.

HanD

Reaction score
i'm not a huge dak fan but a drive the leads to a fg is a stalled drive because of dak. and one that leads to a pollard short goal line run is credit to pollard? why would dak be throwing bombs when we are winning and our def is scoring and shutting down the other offense? tua was throwing bombs because they were in a competitive high scoring game where his defense couldn't stop LAC and they were behind at times. their biggest weapon is t.hill. we don't have a player like that.

can we be a little more fair with our posts and have some situational awareness? your post is the equivalent of running for 15 yards per play with the best oline and rb in history the length of the field and then throwing jump balls 4 times on first and goal with 5'7 wrs.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
So much for the "Joe Burrow is crusty." No, he was just brutalized. #1 pressure by far. If there was any thought on bringing in LC, look no further.

But right next to him, and very impressive is Tua's performance. With his numbers, you would never guess he had 2nd least time to react. Since that game turned into a shootout, I wonder how much the time to pressure is impacted by obvious pass rush defense calling.

That's a cool comparison chart. Thanks for posting.

Last edited: