Sacred Cows

mmohican29

Reaction score
This is a rant. I readily admit to it. But it's my right to rant and I am exercising it.

While I am not overly concerned with our preseason performance, I do think this team babies its players far far too much.

There is no reason why Felix Jones, Mike Jenkins or Adam Jones should not be returning kickoffs. I'm tired of protecting our most dangerous players. The entire reason they are in the NFL is because of their various skill sets.

I think when you say ... I don't want to get so and so hurt returning kicks, it creates a mindset of entitlement. I dunno- it just bugs me that we as fans wait on baited breath to see if we trot our high priced rookies who haven't proven anything will field a kickoff in a football game.

I'm not saying risk a guy like Terence Newman doing it, but if these other players get hurt, they get hurt. It's not like not returning punts has kept Newman healthy all this time, correct? Let's let our players play please and let the chips fall where they may.

RainMan

Makin' It Rain
Reaction score
If/when Felix is contending for the league rushing crown or has to take over the starting rushing role due to injury, I'll understand not having him return kicks. Otherwise, he should be doing it because I bet odds are he's our best one by a landslide.

Which means I wholeheartedly agree with you. Not risking Newman or Owens (even though he's not a candidate) is one thing. Not risking your backup running back who might get 8 touches a game, at best, is another. That's potentially valuable field position we're leaving on the table.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
I think it sucks as well. Pacman is a monster threat returning punts. Hes the #3 CB and there is great talent and depth behind him. There is no reason why he shouldn't be the PR.

I am all for letting the guy return whatever kicks or punts he wants.

Coaching scared is BS. Its right along the same mentality that was in Dallas for so long where the team would get a lead and play not to lose it instead of playing to keep it.

Nav22

Reaction score
There is no reason why he shouldn't be the PR.
Have no fear... he will be the primary punt returner in the regular season. But I bet we use Crayton there when a fair-catch is likely.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Over the years, I've learned that sacred cows taste just as good as any other... you just have to use the right barbeque sauce...

TheKey

Faster than Felix
Reaction score
:lmao2:
silverbear;2208039 said:
Over the years, I've learned that sacred cows taste just as good as any other... you just have to use the right barbeque sauce...

Prossman

Reaction score
When I saw Amendola , I wonder if it is the coaches trying to justify keeping the kid on this team. It seems they are still takeing looks at our bubble guys in different situations. Prossman

sago1

Reaction score
Have any of you thought Wade was trying out to see if Scandrick can contribute as a return man. It might effect whether he's kept active or not. It also might be Amendola's chance to make the team & Stanbach's needs contribute as ST as well since he's our #4 right now.

Do agree I would have liked to see more of Pacman returning the ball. Just seems common sense to me to get him some snaps to make sure he's ready.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
Felix is like the ONLY speed dimension we have on offense....since we did not add a speed WR....he will be used to make our other weapons more effective. Same with TO....if TO does not stay healthy, Crayton and Hurd cannot be effective. TO and Felix will make the lives of the other skill players on offense much easier.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
Why does it matter if Felix is returning kicks?

If play up to our potential, we're only going to get 1-2 kicks a game.

come Regular season Pacman will be our full time PR.

What is the point of the rant?

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
I for one, would rather scrubs return kicks during August. Save the regular KRs for regular season.

KO - Stanback and Felix
PR - Pac Man

My biggest beef with the preseason is Felix and Amendola not getting any snaps with the 1st team. I would have liked to have seen what Felix can do when Romo, Witten, and TO are in the game. I would like to see what Amendola can do in the slot when TO, Witten, and Crayton are in the game. Actually, I am mostly upset that Lowber isn't getting any playing time in the games. I would have liked seeing him in on offense for the entire 4th quarter. I would also like to have seen him alternate with Amendola as a KR during the entire 2nd half. I understand why Amendola and Lowber get little to no time during the games, but doesn't mean I have to like it or accept it. It's hard to root for underdogs who don't seem to get a legit shot to make the cut.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
mmohican29;2207966 said:
This is a rant. I readily admit to it. But it's my right to rant and I am exercising it.

While I am not overly concerned with our preseason performance, I do think this team babies its players far far too much.

There is no reason why Felix Jones, Mike Jenkins or Adam Jones should not be returning kickoffs. I'm tired of protecting our most dangerous players. The entire reason they are in the NFL is because of their various skill sets.

I think when you say ... I don't want to get so and so hurt returning kicks, it creates a mindset of entitlement. I dunno- it just bugs me that we as fans wait on baited breath to see if we trot our high priced rookies who haven't proven anything will field a kickoff in a football game.

I'm not saying risk a guy like Terence Newman doing it, but if these other players get hurt, they get hurt. It's not like not returning punts has kept Newman healthy all this time, correct? Let's let our players play please and let the chips fall where they may.

RainMan;2207970 said:
If/when Felix is contending for the league rushing crown or has to take over the starting rushing role due to injury, I'll understand not having him return kicks. Otherwise, he should be doing it because I bet odds are he's our best one by a landslide.

Which means I wholeheartedly agree with you. Not risking Newman or Owens (even though he's not a candidate) is one thing. Not risking your backup running back who might get 8 touches a game, at best, is another. That's potentially valuable field position we're leaving on the table.

:hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

I agree with both yall

sbark

Reaction score
They trotted out M.Austin (#2 wr?) on ST's and he got hurt...........possible now they are over-reacting to the opposite extreme...

maybe the coaches beleive that injuries hit a certain position in bunches, would seem to hold true to the LB core at this point......

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
dargonking999;2208614 said:
Why does it matter if Felix is returning kicks?

If play up to our potential, we're only going to get 1-2 kicks a game.

come Regular season Pacman will be our full time PR.

What is the point of the rant?

wow we gave up 20 points per game last year you can't honestly think we are going to hold teams to 14 less a game this year.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
sbark;2208898 said:
They trotted out M.Austin (#2 wr?) on ST's and he got hurt...........possible now they are over-reacting to the opposite extreme...

maybe the coaches beleive that injuries hit a certain position in bunches, would seem to hold true to the LB core at this point......

scared money don't make money.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Prossman;2208053 said:
When I saw Amendola , I wonder if it is the coaches trying to justify keeping the kid on this team. It seems they are still takeing looks at our bubble guys in different situations. Prossman

I'd say that was right. They're trying to do the same thing with all the bubble players.

Who is better on STs? Lowber or Amendola. Neither is not an answer.

sbark

Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2208900 said:
scared money don't make money.

scared money in pre-season is diff than in reg season......just cause they dont throw them into the fire in preseason, doesnt mean they wont in reg-season.......

I would think the coaches know what A.Jones is about, the rookies i dont know.....my guess is Felix would be ready to go.....

coaches can predict how a player will react from practice sit's

Royal Laegotti

Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy!
Reaction score
silverbear;2208039 said:

Randy Galloway??? Is that you???:laugh2:

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
silverbear;2208039 said:

Classic.................. :bow: