News: SAEN: Don’t look for Cowboys to return to S.A. while Garrett is coach

NewsBot

Reaction score
Cowboys Minicamp 2013

IRVING – Don’t look for the Cowboys to return to training camp at the Alamodome as long as Jason Garrett is their coach.

That’s been my belief for a long time, and comments Garrett made Wednesday bolstered it.

Like Bill Parcells, Garrett would much rather hold camp in Oxnard, Calif., rather than San Antonio. Garrett likes the grass fields in Oxnard, the proximity of the team hotel to the fields and the great weather in Southern California.

The Alamodome has synthetic turf, the distance between the hotel and the dome requires a bus ride and the heat in South Texas hampers the players’ recovery time after practice.

“I think there are a lot of different philosophies on where you have training camp,” Garrett said. “I think a lot of teams are going back to having training camp at their home facility now because so many of these facilities are state of the art and they just want to stay there.

“There are logistical advantages to that. But we always felt like it was important to get away and start to develop your team in a situation where it’s tough, it’s challenging, they’re together, they’re bonding. There’s some shared commitment going on that you can rely on as the season wears on. We’ve always believed in that.

“Oxnard is a great place to have training camp. We’re excited to get that started on July 19.”

The Cowboys are bound by contract to hold all of their camp in Oxnard through 2014. That means the earliest they could return to San Antonio even for a portion of camp would be 2015.

In April, Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones told KZDC-AM in San Antonio that the team looks forward to someday returning to San Antonio for camp.

“No one loves San Antonio more than the Dallas Cowboys,” Jones said, per the Dallas Morning News’ web site. “I think there may be a bigger percentage of the population that are Cowboys fans in San Antonio than there maybe are in the Metroplex.

“We certainly cherish our relationship with San Antonio. Albeit, we don’t have a specific time, my money says that we’ll be back there again. We always have a great experience there and we certainly never take for granted our great following and our great fans there in San Antonio. The city has never treated us with anything but the best. We certainly look forward to coming back there in the future.”

Just don’t look for it to happen while Garrett is the coach.

Continue reading...