News: SAEN: Training camp emphasis on takeaways already paying off

NewsBot

Reaction score
Preseason: Cowboys 24, Dolphins 20

CANTON, Ohio – Only three teams registered fewer takeaways than the 16 the Dallas Cowboys recorded last season, so naturally vows to improve in that department have been heard often at training camp.

On Sunday night, the defense backed its words up with action.

The Cowboys notched two takeaways, including an interception rookie linebacker DeVonte Holloman returned 75 yards for a touchdown, in downing the Miami Dolphins 24-20 Sunday night in the preseason-opening Hall of Fame game.

Holloman’s score, which came on a tipped ball off the hands of Dolphins wide receiver Chad Bumphis, gave the Cowboys a 17-0 lead with 6:35 left in the first half.

“I thought about it the whole way here, and it actually happened,” Holloman said of returning an interception for a TD. “I had a celebration in my mind, but I was kind of overwhelmed, so I decided to celebrate with my teammates instead.”

A sixth-round pick who played safety for much of his career at South Carolina, showed off his skills with a nice grab and a sprint to the end zone that included brushing off a tackle attempt by Miami quarterback Matt Moore.

“I was tired running down there, just trying to make it,” Holloman said. “I was saying the whole time, don’t get me, don’t get me, don’t get me. He laid out, and I threw a stiff arm and got away.”

The Cowboys tied for the fewest interceptions in the NFL last season with just seven. None of those picks were returned for TDs.

But that was before the team fired Rob Ryan as defensive coordinator and replaced him with Monte Kiffin. Kiffin’s Tampa 2 scheme is famed for generating takeaways.

“The coaches scream (turnovers) during the play, before the play, before we go out there for a series, so when you get one it’s a big deal,” Holloman said.

In addition to Holloman’s theft, defensive tackle Nick Hayden recovered an unforced fumble by Dolphins quarterback and Texas A&M alumnus Ryan Tannehill at the Miami 9-yard line that resulted in Phillip Tanner’s 1-yard scoring run for a 7-0 Dallas lead with 8:58 left in the first quarter.

As expected the Cowboys opened the game with most of their starters, including quarterback Tony Romo, on the sideline. Because of its participation in the Hall of Fame game, the Cowboys play five preseason games, meaning most of the starters likely will play Friday night against the Raiders in Oakland.

“This is one of five preseason games, so we just wanted to make sure we got the young guys a chance to play,” coach Jason Garrett said.

Said linebacker Sean Lee, who joined Romo on the sideline, “It’s a long season for us and we will have plenty of preseason games ahead for us to get better.”

Holloman wasn’t the only defensive star for Dallas.

Fourth-year defensive end George Selvie, who was signed as a free agent after injuries during the early part of training camp depleted the depth along the defensive line, finished with two sacks and two tackles for loss.

“I’m just grateful to be back out here playing football,” Selvie said.

Offensively, the Cowboys will return to Oxnard happy about their running game. After finishing last season with the league’s
31st-ranked ground game with a 79.1, Dallas rushed for 170 yards against the Dolphins.

Cowboys rookie Joseph Randle led all rushers with 70 yards on 13 attempts. Phillips Tanner added 59 yards on 10 carries.

“I’m just making the best of every opportunity,” Tanner said. “Coach Garrett preaches that to us all the time, whether it is one play or 100 plays, make the best of every snap.”

Continue reading...