Safeties - Game Footage Review

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
These are my reviews of the top Safeties in the 2019 draft.

I added the basic (available) measurable(s) and total college INTs for each.

The listing order is not how I have them ranked.

CBS Rankings
30 Nasir Adderley
36 Taylor Rapp
37 Deionte Thompson
39 Johnathan Abram
43 Chauncey Gardner-Johnson
53 Juan Thornhill
73 Darnell Savage, Jr.
87 Amani Hooker

Nasir Adderley
6-0, 206
forty 4.54 (pulled hamstring during the forty)
vert 39
bench 19
arms 31
11 INTs

Notes: Returned punts and kicks

My review:
  • Looks like a Free Safety or big CB but likes to hit.
  • Good ball skills and good at fighting for contested balls.
  • Wowed me in coverage, especially contested balls.
Media Comments: Inconsistent Recognition skills.

Taylor Rapp
6-0, 208
forty Pro Day April 1st
vert 35
bench 17
arms 30-3/4
INTs 7

Notes: Missed the Rose Bowl with a hip injury.

My review:
  • Big hitter. Looked good but not elite in coverage. Good ball skills.
  • INTs from jumping routes and tipped passes more than directly contested balls.
  • Pass break-ups also from jumping in front of receivers.
  • Wowed me in tackling.
Media Comments: Coverage is average. Excellent run support and open field tackling.

Deionte Thompson
6-1, 195
forty plans to workout on April 2nd (2nd Alabama Pro Day)
vert
bench
arms 32-1/8
INTs 3

Notes: Had wrist surgery in Feb.

My review:
  • Hits like a box Safety but built like a CB.
  • Does not always wrap-up.
  • Hands don't appear strong and missed on several ankle type tackle attempts that require strong hands.
  • Appears to have good range and ball skills.
  • I'm not sure about his ability in directly contested balls.
  • He has good agility and burst but I'm not sure about his deep speed.
  • Didn't really Wow me.
Media Comments: Physical nature but slim frame. Should play FS.

Johnathan Abram
5-11, 205
forty 4.45
vert
bench
arms 31-3/8
INTs 2

My review:
  • Has great tackling ability.
  • He wraps up when needed and makes the big hit when that's a good option.
  • Strong Hands on ankle tackles and can reach around blockers to make tackles.
  • Coverage looks good for a Strong Safety but he does not project to Free Safety.
  • Should be OK covering TEs.
  • Wowed me with his tackling ability.
Media Comments: Might not have the anticipation and ball skills to hold up in extended coverage duties.

Chauncey Gardner-Johnson
5-11, 210
forty 4.48
vert 36
bench 17
arms 30-7/8
INTs 9

My review:
  • Safety size and hitting ability with CB skills. Great range and balls skills.
  • Good on contested balls. Should be very good covering TEs can cover big WRs.
  • Very good tackler with strong hands. Will make some big hits.
  • Some might project him as a Free Safety but I think he can play in the box or deep.
  • Wowed me on everything. Deep coverage, slot type coverage, tackling and hitting.
Media Comments: Relies on athleticism over anticipation. Over commits againt the run.

Juan Thornhill
6-0, 205
forty 4.42
vert 44
bench
arms 31-1/8
INTs 13

Notes: Played CB until his final college season when he moved to Safety.

My review:
  • Excellent in coverage with great ball skills.
  • Tacking skills are very good. Wraps up and has strong hands.
  • Has FS/CB skills but I think he could play snaps in the box with his impressive tackling ability.
Media Comments: Issues against bait routes and play-action.

Darnell Savage
5-11, 198
forty 4.36
vert 39.5
bench 11
arms 31
INTs 8

My review:
  • Very good in coverage with good range. Good ball skills.
  • Tackling is good but I did see a fair number of missed tackles.
  • His hand strength on ankle type tackles appears average.
Media Comments: Compact frame. Looks small against TEs.

Amani Hooker
5-11, 210
forty 4.48
vert 37
bench 14
arms 30-1/8
INTs 6

Notes: Iowa coaches created a new safety/linebacker hybrid position in their defense for Hooker.

My review:
  • Does not look like an NFL Free Safety but should be good in the box and in 2-deep.
  • Good ball skills, good wrap-up tackler.
  • Good athletic measurable(s) but looks average athletically on the field.
  • Not really a Wow type player but showed consistency and just has the look of a solid football player.
Media Comments: He's not twitchy, fast or fluid and has some limitations in man coverage; however, he has the size, instincts and ball skills to become a plus starter.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

CBS Rankings
30 Nasir Adderley
36 Taylor Rapp
37 Deionte Thompson
39 Johnathan Abram
53 Juan Thornhill
73 Darnell Savage, Jr.
87 Amani Hooker

Nasir Adderley
6-0, 206
vert 39
bench 19
arms 31
11 INTs

My review:

Taylor Rapp
6-0, 208
forty Pro Day April 1st
vert 35
bench 17
arms 30-3/4
INTs 7

My review:
  • INTs from jumping routes and tipped passes more than directly contested balls.
  • Wowed me in tackling.
Media Comments: Coverage is average. Excellent run support and open field tackling.

Deionte Thompson
6-1, 195
vert
bench
arms 32-1/8
INTs 3

My review:
  • Hands don't appear strong and missed on several ankle type tackle attempts that require strong hands.
  • Didn't really Wow me.

Johnathan Abram
5-11, 205
forty 4.45
vert
bench
arms 31-3/8
INTs 2

My review:
  • Coverage looks good for a Strong Safety but he does not project to Free Safety.
Media Comments: Might not have the anticipation and ball skills to hold up in extended coverage duties.

Chauncey Gardner-Johnson
5-11, 210
forty 4.48
vert 36
bench 17
arms 30-7/8
INTs 9

My review:
  • Some might project him as a Free Safety but I think he can play in the box or deep.
  • Wowed me on everything. Deep coverage, slot type coverage, tackling and hitting.
Media Comments: Relies on athleticism over anticipation. Over commits againt the run.

Juan Thornhill
6-0, 205
forty 4.42
vert 44
bench
arms 31-1/8
INTs 13

My review:
  • Has FS/CB skills but I think he could play snaps in the box with his impressive tackling ability.

Darnell Savage
5-11, 198
forty 4.36
vert 39.5
bench 11
arms 31
INTs 8

My review:

Amani Hooker
5-11, 210
forty 4.48
vert 37
bench 14
arms 30-1/8
INTs 6

Notes: Iowa coaches created a new safety/linebacker hybrid position in their defense for Hooker.

My review:
  • Does not look like an NFL Free Safety but should be good in the box and in 2-deep.
  • Not really a Wow type player but showed consistency and just has the look of a solid football player.
Media Comments: He's not twitchy, fast or fluid and has some limitations in man coverage; however, he has the size, instincts and ball skills to become a plus starter.
Abram and Rapp would be really good gets as box Safeties. If they land Thornhill, it will be interesting to see what they do with him. His ball skills are excellent. CHJ seems to be your favorite

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I don't think Abram is going to be around at 58, but he's my guy if he's there. It's just so easy to see how he projects to a downhill SS in this system.

The media comp you'll always see with him is Keanu Neal, and Neal's been great (when healthy) as a box safety in a very similar system to what we run.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
@xwalker, thanks for summarizing the top safeties for the upcoming draft. There are several that intrigue me and most could be had in the 2-4 rounds.

Last year, I ran a series of Monte Carlo simulations to better understand the draft... not so much from the position of predicting who the Cowboys would select but, rather, who would be available for selection in each round.

I have started playing around with the simulator again this year. It is still a bit early to post a thread on the results, however, there is a trend that's worth watching: when I model the selection of a safety in the 2nd round, any descent- to semi-decent DT is gone by the 3rd round. Conversely, selecting a DT/DE in the 2nd still leaves the door open for a quality safety in the later rounds.

Again, just playing with numbers right now.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
@xwalker, thanks for summarizing the top safeties for the upcoming draft. There are several that intrigue me and most could be had in the 2-4 rounds.

Last year, I ran a series of Monte Carlo simulations to better understand the draft... not so much from the position of predicting who the Cowboys would select but, rather, who would be available for selection in each round.

I have started playing around with the simulator again this year. It is still a bit early to post a thread on the results, however, there is a trend that's worth watching: when I model the selection of a safety in the 2nd round, any descent- to semi-decent DT is gone by the 3rd round. Conversely, selecting a DT/DE in the 2nd still leaves the door open for a quality safety in the later rounds.

That is a factor in how the Cowboys make their picks. They had Taco and Awuzie with the same rating on their board that year but thought all DEs would be gone by their next pick but some good CBs would be available.

Do you have the simulations from last year?

It would be fun to look at those now.

I wish I had kept draft rankings over the years by the top media and my own rankings from Jan to April each year just to see if something could be learned from that data.

Draftniks (including myself) and draft media don't do much follow up in the years after the drafts to see how things really turned out. There have been a few analysis published and we each remember our favorites; however, I know that I don't really keep track of most players not drafted by the Cowboys.

One example: While reviewing some past drafts I just realized that Edge Rusher Carl Lawson ended up in the 4th round in 2017. I remember early that year that he was getting projected as a possible 1st round pick.

reddyuta

Reaction score

I think you are right but to me Safety play has held this team back for more than a decade.if we find a good one at 58 then we should draft one.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
That is a factor in how the Cowboys make their picks. They had Taco and Awuzie with the same rating on their board that year but thought all DEs would be gone by their next pick but some good CBs would be available.

Do you have the simulations from last year?

It would be fun to look at those now.

I wish I had kept draft rankings over the years by the top media and my own rankings from Jan to April each year just to see if something could be learned from that data.

Draftniks (including myself) and draft media don't do much follow up in the years after the drafts to see how things really turned out. There have been a few analysis published and we each remember our favorites; however, I know that I don't really keep track of most players not drafted by the Cowboys.

One example: While reviewing some past drafts I just realized that Edge Rusher Carl Lawson ended up in the 4th round in 2017. I remember early that year that he was getting projected as a possible 1st round pick.
Unfortunately, I didn't save last year's simulations. I will re-post a couple of my posts from last year's work for context to this year's effort

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Thanks Walker-I agree with CGJ but sadly I don’ think he makes it past early forties if that.

I am honestly good with Hooker late second but it doesn’t seem like the team like him. I don’t see a whole lot that seperates him from Rapp other than maybe slightly less tackling consistency, than again no one in the class is as consistent a tackler as Rapp.

1LoyalCowboyFan

Reaction score

CBS Rankings
30 Nasir Adderley
36 Taylor Rapp
37 Deionte Thompson
39 Johnathan Abram
53 Juan Thornhill
73 Darnell Savage, Jr.
87 Amani Hooker

Nasir Adderley
6-0, 206
vert 39
bench 19
arms 31
11 INTs

My review:

Taylor Rapp
6-0, 208
forty Pro Day April 1st
vert 35
bench 17
arms 30-3/4
INTs 7

My review:
  • Wowed me in tackling.

Deionte Thompson
6-1, 195
vert
bench
arms 32-1/8
INTs 3

My review:
  • Didn't really Wow me.

Johnathan Abram
5-11, 205
forty 4.45
vert
bench
arms 31-3/8
INTs 2

My review:

Chauncey Gardner-Johnson
5-11, 210
forty 4.48
vert 36
bench 17
arms 30-7/8
INTs 9

My review:

Juan Thornhill
6-0, 205
forty 4.42
vert 44
bench
arms 31-1/8
INTs 13

My review:

Darnell Savage
5-11, 198
forty 4.36
vert 39.5
bench 11
arms 31
INTs 8

My review:

Amani Hooker
5-11, 210
forty 4.48
vert 37
bench 14
arms 30-1/8
INTs 6

My review:

Gardner could be a first rounder.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Any real chance DAL picks him?

Yes, but the probability that the Cowboys don't pick another Safety at #58 AND Savage makes it to #90 is very low, IMO.

Savage does not exactly matchup with the Cowboys "need" (Strong Safety) but I can't see them passing on him at #90 if they didn't draft a Safety at #58.

They do like having a Safety with slot-CB type skills as the Down Safety in passing situations.

They occasionally flipped Woods to SS and Heath to FS to get Woods matched up in certain coverage situations because he has slot-CB skills.

If they could find a Strong Safety that had slot CB type skills that player would be a great chess piece.

Based on the way they used Woods in 2018 they didn't think he was strong enough against the run to be the full time Strong Safety.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Yes, but the probability that the Cowboys don't pick another Safety at #58 AND Savage makes it to #90 is very low, IMO.

Savage does not exactly matchup with the Cowboys "need" (Strong Safety) but I can't see them passing on him at #90 if they didn't draft a Safety at #58.

They do like having a Safety with slot-CB type skills as the Down Safety in passing situations.

They occasionally flipped Woods to SS and Heath to FS to get Woods matched up in certain coverage situations because he has slot-CB skills.

If they could find a Strong Safety that had slot CB type skills that player would be a great chess piece.

Based on the way they used Woods in 2018 they didn't think he was strong enough against the run to be the full time Strong Safety.
Alright. Sounds like an interchangeable S is what your talking about, which, I feel would go well with Woods. I view Savage as an interchangeable S, but this team may not see it that way. CGJ is the only guy I've seen cover slots regularly and play all over at times, not that others can't.

Thornhill, I view as a FS.
Abram fits ok as that SS, slot coverage iffy.
Rapp fits as that SS, slot coverage ok.

Really I'm starting to view Will Harris as a really good fit with X due to his size, speed, coverage, tackling and demeanor. Also, he's a true SS where I think Thornhill as the down S is stretching and getting away from his strengths (Center field coverage).

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I know the Cowboys are high on Thornhill but think they'd have to move up to get him. I think he'll likely be taken in the early to mid fifties. The Cowboys might have to take him using a 4th round pick to draft him. I like Abram and CGJ quite a bit as a viable alternative, to be sure. Hooker wouldn't be a bad one as an alternative if the others mentioned aren't there for us, although he's pretty much a box-type SS, although a good one.

VACowboy

Reaction score
I think Thornhill could play in the box but as I said in another thread that's definitely not what I'd draft him for. He can play corner or free and I think his best position may actually be slot. He's a good tackler but he is great in coverage and really goes after the ball. SS or whatever, he's the kind of player you find snaps for. All he does is make plays. Just my $.0.02.

Thanks for the excellent analysis, Walker.

mcduff

Reaction score

CBS Rankings
30 Nasir Adderley
36 Taylor Rapp
37 Deionte Thompson
39 Johnathan Abram
53 Juan Thornhill
73 Darnell Savage, Jr.
87 Amani Hooker

Nasir Adderley
6-0, 206
vert 39
bench 19
arms 31
11 INTs

My review:

Taylor Rapp
6-0, 208
forty Pro Day April 1st
vert 35
bench 17
arms 30-3/4
INTs 7

My review:
  • Wowed me in tackling.

Deionte Thompson
6-1, 195
vert
bench
arms 32-1/8
INTs 3

My review:
  • Didn't really Wow me.

Johnathan Abram
5-11, 205
forty 4.45
vert
bench
arms 31-3/8
INTs 2

My review:

Chauncey Gardner-Johnson
5-11, 210
forty 4.48
vert 36
bench 17
arms 30-7/8
INTs 9

My review:

Juan Thornhill
6-0, 205
forty 4.42
vert 44
bench
arms 31-1/8
INTs 13

My review:

Darnell Savage
5-11, 198
forty 4.36
vert 39.5
bench 11
arms 31
INTs 8

My review:

Amani Hooker
5-11, 210
forty 4.48
vert 37
bench 14
arms 30-1/8
INTs 6

My review:
The safety for the Cowboys is Malik Grant, Marshal. He is a big in the box thumper that can tackle who can free up Xavier to play centerfield. What is the success rate of safeties taken in the first 2 rounds?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The safety for the Cowboys is Malik Grant, Marshal. He is a big in the box thumper that can tackle who can free up Xavier to play centerfield. What is the success rate of safeties taken in the first 2 rounds?
Darren Woodson was a 2nd round pick...

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Note that all of the top Safeties are between 5-11 and 6-1 and 195 to 210 pounds.

Thompson (6-1, 195, 32-1/8" arm length) is the only one over 6-0 and the only one with arm length over 31-3/8" but he is the lightest weight.

CGJ and Hooker the heaviest at 210.