Saints... an Effective Barometer or Not?

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
Cowboys are looking good in the pre-easy ...but were the Saints a good enough barometer for measuring the Cowboys worth?

Will the San Francisco 49ers provide answers to the question of effectiveness for the Cowboy's OL.

Can Bledsoe hold up better than Romo (I personally Like Romo better than Bledsoe).

wileedog

Reaction score
I don't think 2nd pre-season games are a barometer of anything, regardless of opponent. Most teams are still in evaluation mode in these games.

Ashwynn

Reaction score
Even at their best they are not a barometer for anything. Even if they beat you, its more likely they just got real hot and lucky. They are not that good. Certainly in the 2nd preseason game when most coaches are evaluating.

Manster68

Reaction score
Phoenix-Talon said:
Cowboys are looking good in the pre-easy ...but were the Saints a good enough barometer for measuring the Cowboys worth?

Will the San Francisco 49ers provide answers to the question of effectiveness for the Cowboy's OL.

Can Bledsoe hold up better than Romo (I personally Like Romo better than Bledsoe).

I do notice the negative thoughts you are trying to instill in us. For me they are not working.

Seattle went to the Super Bowl last season. The Cowboys played pretty well against them as well. No decent barometer there?

I know it is only pre-season, but I am looking for execution primarily. There were some good things to be evaluated and there were certainly some not-so-good things as well.

As I said in my analysis, Parcells does have some reasons to be grouchy this week. That is what you really want. Your team to win, but enough mistakes to be made for the coach to be uneasy.

Aikmaniac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The fact is that the Cowboys offense executed well enough to hold the ball as long as they did. Were they supposed to play with one armed behind their back the entire game?

The fact is that the Cowboys 1st string defense held the Saints with ease. Again, the Saints were on the schedule...the Cowboys did their job.

Another fact is that the Cowboys weren't running on all cylinders, pun-intended. So, for as good as they looked, they could be that much better with more production from the OL in the running game. (oh...and Crayton and TO weren't playing)

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
the saints aren't going to the superbowl but they have a ton of talent on the offensive side of the ball- brees, deuce, bush, horn, stallworth- and our first team D made them look terrible.

DCBoysfan

Hardwork and Dedication
Reaction score
Dallas did what it was suppose to do. They beat a team that is not very good. The Saints are not a very good team and Dallas beat them like they were suppose to beat them, period!

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
PT l....Preseason games have some value as most all teams play vanilla...you get a look at technique of some of the players and you get a judge of strength... you can see special team coverages and other odds and ends...so regardless of strength of opponent it holds some value... the question is how much value to put into it...my answer would be... "enough, but not more than that"...

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
I doubt this question gets asked if the Saints won the game convincingly but I will play.

IMO, most look at the game in the wrong way and thusly asks the wrong questions. The opponent is not really significant as the schedule is set and the team has little to no influence on that.

The things I look for is continuity with the offensive line and RB(s) (i.e. if there is a combo block between the guard and center, is the center crossing his man’s face? Is the guard reaching his second level block? Did the running back hit the design hole decisively), continuity between QB and WR (blitz recognition between the WR(s) and QB, etc). Penalties, Blown coverages, good tackling, clock management, and last but not least health.

It is always better to win then to loose, imo but if the aforementioned areas are not looking good then typically the team is in for a long regular season.

On a similar not to your question, this morning on Sirius in the midst of their cowboy bashing, they were ranting about how the win was meaningless and they are still not convince and their grounds where that too many super bowl teams has gone defeated in preseason. However, I think Gil Brandt called in off air and said that the in last ten years all of the super bowl winning teams had a winning record during the preseason. In retrospect, the NFL landscape has changed quite a bit in the last ten years. Teams no longer have the luxury of saving their starters and playing some smoe that won’t make the team, heck Bledsoe played a whole half of football, ten years ago that would have never happened.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Phoenix-Talon said:

This from a team whose fanbase who puffs out their collective chest over a victory against the Browns?

Nice try pal but the fact is the Cowboys played great and you can't stand it. Be man enough to admit it rather than hiding behind garbage posts like this!

The Cowboys' 4th, 5th and 6th receivers played better than the Eagles #1's did!

Don't attempt to belittle or demean the fact that Dallas looked great.

Worry about your Eagles' last pathetic performance in Baltimore instead.......

:suxiggle:

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
adbutcher said:
I doubt this question gets asked if the Saints won the game convincingly but I will play.

IMO, most look at the game in the wrong way and thusly asks the wrong questions. The opponent is not really significant as the schedule is set and the team has little to no influence on that.

The things I look for is continuity with the offensive line and RB(s) (i.e. if there is a combo block between the guard and center, is the center crossing his man’s face? Is the guard reaching his second level block? Did the running back hit the design hole decisively), continuity between QB and WR (blitz recognition between the WR(s) and QB, etc). Penalties, Blown coverages, good tackling, clock management, and last but not least health.

It is always better to win then to loose, imo but if the aforementioned areas are not looking good then typically the team is in for a long regular season.

On a similar not to your question, this morning on Sirius in the midst of their cowboy bashing, they were ranting about how the win was meaningless and they are still not convince and their grounds where that too many super bowl teams has gone defeated in preseason. However, I think Gil Brandt called in off air and said that the in last ten years all of the super bowl winning teams had a winning record during the preseason. In retrospect, the NFL landscape has changed quite a bit in the last ten years. Teams no longer have the luxury of saving their starters and playing some smoe that won’t make the team, heck Bledsoe played a whole half of football, ten years ago that would have never happened.

agreed well said

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
stasheroo said:
This from a team whose fanbase who puffs out their collective chest over a victory against the Browns?

Nice try pal but the fact is the Cowboys played great and you can't stand it. Be man enough to admit it rather than hiding behind garbage posts like this!

The Cowboys' 4th, 5th and 6th receivers played better than the Eagles #1's did!

Don't attempt to belittle or demean the fact that Dallas looked great.

Worry about your Eagles' last pathetic performance in Baltimore instead.......

:suxiggle:
Friend, don't take PT's posts serious, .. he always has an alternative, Eagles-oriented motive.

The poster is a clown that we all see through now.

1fisher

Reaction score
Phoenix-Talon said:

It's preseason PT... stop with your agenda:cool:

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Phoenix-Talon said:

no, the saints suck, so we spanked them.

it would be different if we struggled against them THEN i'd worry. but we didn't, so i don't.

juck

Reaction score
The Eagles wouldnt be a very good barometer either bro.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Phoenix-Talon said:

Preseason is never a barometer for measuring a teams worth.

Strictly for evaluation and execution failure or success IMO.

Heard you were trying out for RB in Philly? :p:

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
adbutcher said:

Nice post Ad.

Your dialed in 100% on this one.