News: Saints only ran 10 times against the Jets

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
By Stephen White on Nov 6 2013, 2:30p

Imbalance

Anybody else think it was odd watching Drew Brees go through a play-action fake so many times on Sunday against the Jets, considering the Saints' tailbacks only carried the ball 10 times combined? I understand the Jets are hard to run the ball against; I don't understand not even trying. Brees throwing 51 times and Pierre Thomas and Mark Ingram only getting six carries and four carries respectively is just too much of an imbalance. It is the exact same kind of imbalance the Saints had early on last year when their head coach Sean Payton was suspended, and they struggled to win any games.

I don't care how great the Saints' skill players are; you have to run the ball to keep defenses, especially good defenses, honest. Who in the hell is going to bite on a play-action fake if you haven't shown a willingness to run the ball? Payton is a certified genius when it comes to offense, but I just don't understand what he was thinking on Sunday.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/11/6/5066420/nfl-week-9-saints-jets-browns-chiefs-alex-smith

-------------------

Swap out the names and we're talking about Dallas...

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
By Stephen White on Nov 6 2013, 2:30p

Imbalance

Anybody else think it was odd watching Drew Brees go through a play-action fake so many times on Sunday against the Jets, considering the Saints' tailbacks only carried the ball 10 times combined? I understand the Jets are hard to run the ball against; I don't understand not even trying. Brees throwing 51 times and Pierre Thomas and Mark Ingram only getting six carries and four carries respectively is just too much of an imbalance. It is the exact same kind of imbalance the Saints had early on last year when their head coach Sean Payton was suspended, and they struggled to win any games.

I don't care how great the Saints' skill players are; you have to run the ball to keep defenses, especially good defenses, honest. Who in the hell is going to bite on a play-action fake if you haven't shown a willingness to run the ball? Payton is a certified genius when it comes to offense, but I just don't understand what he was thinking on Sunday.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/11/6/5066420/nfl-week-9-saints-jets-browns-chiefs-alex-smith

-------------------

Swap out the names and we're talking about Dallas...

True, but the Saints have a "smart" coach... o_O

dstovall5

Reaction score
So does that mean Sean Payton is as bad as a coach Garret is? I've always heard many here praising how great Sean Payton is, and also to how bad Garret is in comparison to him/other coaches.

dropdeadfred5

Reaction score
they lost too. So considering how close we came to losing maybe those saying the running game is meaningless are just as stupid as they appear.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
So does that mean Sean Payton is as bad as a coach Garret is? I've always heard many here praising how great Sean Payton is, and also to how bad Garret is in comparison to him/other coaches.

Thing none of us know is how many plays did Brees check out of a run into a pass based on what he saw under center, same holds true with Romo.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
The league is moving toward the pass more and more. It would not surprise me to see the norm being a 60 pass-10 run game for most teams in the next year or so. The rules favor the WRs and the passing game so much it is only natural for the league to migrate toward the pass. Those passes in the flat and screens are basically "extended handoff runs" and they will be the bulk of a RBs duties in the future. WRs are in demand come draft day, RBs are 3rd rd and later picks these days. I would not be surprised to see WRs lining up in the backfield in place of the RBs soon. GB tried it a little with WR Cobb this year. And TEs will probably get a look soon in the backfield catching passes in the flat.

30 Years ago it was run on 1st down, run on 2nd down, and pass on 3rd down.

Lazyking

Reaction score
Saints were also behind that whole second half. I don't really care how many times a team runs the ball, however when it's a close game, I want to at least show the threat of a run. Cowboys were basically in all shotgun.

What another team does, can not justify what the Cowboys do, esp. when if we're honest, the offense wasn't really effective til the last few drives anyway.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
they lost too. So considering how close we came to losing maybe those saying the running game is meaningless are just as stupid as they appear.

I haven't heard one single person say the running game is meaningless nor be called stupid.

dstovall5

Reaction score
Thing none of us know is how many plays did Brees check out of a run into a pass based on what he saw under center, same holds true with Romo.

I'm assuming it was more to do with the play caller than the actual QB, though I could be wrong. I know in Romo's post game conference he said Callahan wanted to be aggressive against Minnesota.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I'm assuming it was more to do with the play caller than the actual QB, though I could be wrong. I know in Romo's post game conference he said Callahan wanted to be aggressive against Minnesota.

I'm sure he did, Romo also talked about the fronts he was seeing and evidently did call off runs based on what he saw. Did Dallas go in looking to pass a bit more? I hope so given the fact Minn secondary was beat up and they have some pretty damn good talent on their DL. To me that would be stupid looking to attack a teams strenght than to go after their weakness.

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score

The Saints lost because they didn't pass the ball well, not because they didn't run the ball more.