Saints QB Taysom Hill taking first team reps this week

RS12

Reaction score
Payton sees something I don't in Hill. 40 million to a gadget QB? Either that or the salary cap about to sky rocket.

Carson

Reaction score
Payton sees something I don't in Hill. 40 million to a gadget QB? Either that or the salary cap about to sky rocket.
Salary cap maneuver.

They are way over budget. So they keep him and likely back load his cap hits with zero ramifications if they get out of the deal

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
New Orleans will run the hell out of the ball. Or at least attempt to. Kamara and Ingram are back. Hill is arguably the best running threat at QB we have faced except for Hurts.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
why is it we live and die by weekly injury reports? If this team cannot win against a team at or close to full strength then we are more helpless than we think

kramskoi

Reaction score
This is desperation after four straight losses. But with both Ingram and Kamara returning it's not rocket science figuring out what Payton will do. RUN THE DAMN BALL. Short passes (especially to Kamara), bootlegs...etc...anything that will get the ball out quick to players who will hopefully get some good RAC. A poor man's Jalen Hurts type of plan.

The best way to upset this type of plan is for the Dallas offense to come out WHITE HOT. Get up by two possessions and then play downhill. You then put the game in the hands of Hill. Good tackling and containment in the run game should mop up the rest.

How Hill will do reading defenses is another matter. There is not much out there on him, since he's basically been simply a gadget player for the last few years. Until proven otherwise you have to put him in the box with Tim Tebow. I had a sneaking suspicion that Payton was keeping him around for a reason. He is a crowd favorite, who some were wanting to start over Drew Brees (crikey!) at one point. Man...fans are really irrational and illogical at times. A man who has done absolutely NOTHING throwing the ball supplanting a first ballot HOF. He may ball Thursday night but he isn't Brees.

Last edited:

kramskoi

Reaction score
This is desperation after four straight losses. But with both Ingram and Kamara returning it's not rocket science figuring out what Payton will do. RUN THE DAMN BALL. Short passes (especially to Kamara), bootlegs...etc...anything that will get the ball out quick to players who will hopefully get some good RAC. A poor man's Jalen Hurts type of plan.

The best way to upset this type of plan is for the Dallas offense to come out WHITE HOT. Get up by two possessions and then play downhill. You then put the game in the hands of Hill. Good tackling and containment in the run game should mop up the rest.

How Hill will do reading defenses is another matter. There is not much out there on him, since he's basically been simply a gadget player for the last few years. Until proven otherwise you have to put him in the box with Tim Tebow. I had a sneaking suspicion that Payton was keeping him around for a reason. He is a crowd favorite, who some were wanting to start over Drew Brees (crikey!) at one point. Man...fans are really irrational and illogical at times. A man who has done absolutely NOTHING throwing the ball supplanting a first ballot HOF. He may ball Thursday night but he isn't Brees.

That said...there is still this from 2020:

On November 20, 2020 it was announced that Hill would make his first career start at quarterback for the Saints Week 11 matchup against the Atlanta Falcons due to Drew Brees’ injury. Hill threw 23 passes, completing 18 for 233 yards. He also ran for 51 yards and two touchdowns, helping the Saints beat the Falcons 24–9. In Week 12 against the Denver Broncos, he recorded another game with two rushing touchdowns in the 31–3 victory. In Week 13 against the Atlanta Falcons, he had 232 passing yards and his first two career passing touchdowns in the 21–16 victory.His last start of the season came in Week 14, where despite a two touchdown, 291 yard passing performance, the team would lose to the Eagles 24-21.

Creeper

Reaction score
I am more worried about the Saints defense than their offense. The have a good DL and the crowd noise in their favor. They could do to the Cowboys what KC did to them. Hill presents one problem, he can run out of the pocket and our defense is poor at tackling. But I think we can contain him the way we contained Hurts earlier in the year. On the other hand, our OL struggled in KC and I think the noise had a lot to do with it. They are going to face similar noise in New Orleans. Hopefully they learned something from KC.

If the Cowboys offense does not control the ball and score and the Saints win the ToP then Hill could be a problem in the long run.