Salary Cap Guru's, OG Marco inj, has to retire, bledsoe cut, do we save money?

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Ok, salary cap gurus, say Marco Riveria with his 2nd back surgery in 3 years now, say he cant really pass a physical, and he has to retire. Does his salary cap hit count against us, or would it be like half salary etc due to injury. I am thinking there should be an injury clause in there.

I for one, think Marco is past his prime, and is done for the year. If you look at the offensive line blocking etc, Marco was responsible for a lot of missed blocks and sacks. So, I say with his 2nd back surgery in 3 years make an injury settlement with him. And save some money for the cap.

Next, how much would we have to eat of Bledsoe contract if he retires. My hope is he still wants to play and either Carolina Panthers or Saints or Miami Dolphins make a trade for him as a backup, and he is wiling to go, how much money would that save us toward the cap.

I am of the feeling, we need not to go out and spend money on 2-3 young impact players like Steinbach OG of Bengals, Thomas LB/De of Ravens, and a good young impact punt returner-kick returner, one or the other, granted with Miles Austin coming on, and Tyson Thompson coming back our kickoff return men would be ok, but we really need a good punt returner. We dont need Terrance Newman back there and gets hurt next year.

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
Just p.m. AdamJT, hes like the know it all of know it alls.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
well rivera got a 5 yrdeal with 9 mil signing bonus. he's been in dallas 2 yrs. so he probably has about 5.5 mil left in that bonus. i think if he retires they just pay that dead money on the bonus by yr? im pretty sure thats the way aikmans was. dont know if thats what ur really asking.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Forgive me if I'm wrong but I think it works out this way.

If you retire early, then the player owes part of the signing bonus back. If you are forced to retire due to injury I beleive it doesn't count against your teams salary cap and an insurnace policy pays the remainder of the contract. If you cut a player, then you owe that player the rest of his guaranteed money unless someone else signs him to a new contract within the period when the contract would have been active. (or something like that) Though, I beleive most teams end up piling the rest of the guaranteed money on the next year just to clear the overhead. (if thats possible anyhow)

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
If he retires before June 1st the remaining SB dollars go against the current year. If he retires on or after June 1st half counts vs the current year and the other half goes on the following years cap.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
LatinMind;1302493 said:
well rivera got a 5 yrdeal with 9 mil signing bonus. he's been in dallas 2 yrs. so he probably has about 5.5 mil left in that bonus. i think if he retires they just pay that dead money on the bonus by yr? im pretty sure thats the way aikmans was. dont know if thats what ur really asking.

I think Rivera ends up hitting us for around 3 mill of dead money b/c his salary for next year would be about 2.5. It is a hit but not one that is going to kill us. Bledsoe we likely gain $$ on since his contract is reported as a 3-year 14 million deal with only 2 mill in SB. I don't have the details of the deal but if, and this is a worst-case scenario, the deal has even salaries each year, we'd likely gain about 3.3 mill in cap space.

So pretty much the two are going to cancel each other out is how I see it

AbeBeta

Reaction score
nyc;1302580 said:

If you retire early, then the player owes part of the signing bonus back. If you are forced to retire due to injury I beleive it doesn't count against your teams salary cap and an insurnace policy pays the remainder of the contract. If you cut a player, then you owe that player the rest of his guaranteed money unless someone else signs him to a new contract within the period when the contract would have been active. (or something like that) Though, I beleive most teams end up piling the rest of the guaranteed money on the next year just to clear the overhead. (if thats possible anyhow)

I don't think either is correct. SBs are not owed back. Teams can try to get a part back but nothing in the contract specifies that. That is the risk a team takes -- NFL contracts are lower risk than in other sports as they are not gauranteed.

If the player retires the money counts against the cap, injured or not.

That SB money is gone and will be charged against our cap.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
nyc;1302580 said:

i dont think thats accurate. aikman retired because of injury. and dallas was left with all his dead money, aswell as moose and irvin

acruther

Reaction score
abersonc;1302597 said:
I think Rivera ends up hitting us for around 3 mill of dead money b/c his salary for next year would be about 2.5. It is a hit but not one that is going to kill us. Bledsoe we likely gain $$ on since his contract is reported as a 3-year 14 million deal with only 2 mill in SB. I don't have the details of the deal but if, and this is a worst-case scenario, the deal has even salaries each year, we'd likely gain about 3.3 mill in cap space.

So pretty much the two are going to cancel each other out is how I see it

I believe AdamJT13 said we would save either $6 or $7 million from cuttin Bledsoe. I think it's $7. I do remember that all else being equal, our cap room just after getting rid of Bledsoe is about $30 million.

Rivera's pro-rated SB will hit us for 3/5 of $9 million, or $5.4 million in dead money. Yikes. His cap hit this year would have been 1/5 of $9 million plus $2 salary (per the NLFPA, not sure how accurate that is), or $3.8 million. So we actually are worse off cutting him than keeping him. Weird...not the answer I was expecting...

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
His salary wouldnt affect his cap hit if he was released. His signing bonus was $9 million or $1.8 a year. 1.8 times the remaining 3 years is $5.4 million if they cut him before June 1st or $2.7 in 07 and $2.7 in 08 if they release him or he retires after June 1st. It will cost them $3.8 to keep him.

They will save around $2.6 if they release Singleton as well.

acruther

Reaction score
Doomsday;1302658 said:
His salary wouldnt affect his cap hit if he was released. His signing bonus was $9 million or $1.8 a year. 1.8 times the remaining 3 years is $5.4 million if they cut him before June 1st or $2.7 in 07 and $2.7 in 08 if they release him or he retires after June 1st. It will cost them $3.8 to keep him.

Waiting until 6/1 might be the way to go with him. He would be quality depth if we kept him. Just hate to have a bigger cap hit for cutting him than for keeping him.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
Doomsday;1302658 said:

Yes, it would. They've committed a salary to Rivera in '07, and that's currently on the '07 cap. Releasing him would relieve the cap of his '07 salary.

acruther

Reaction score
Double Trouble;1302695 said:
Yes, it would. They've committed a salary to Rivera in '07, and that's currently on the '07 cap. Releasing him would relieve the cap of his '07 salary.

You guys are saying the same thing in different ways.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
acruther;1302668 said:
Waiting until 6/1 might be the way to go with him. He would be quality depth if we kept him. Just hate to have a bigger cap hit for cutting him than for keeping him.

The new rule is that you don't have to wait until June 1st to take advantage of spreading the cap hit over two season.

conner01

Reaction score
you would probably want to wait till june to give him time to recover from surgery so you don't have to pay an injury settlement.
i don't think al singlton has a contract for next year. i believe he's a f.a which means you would'nt save anything
also i think that rivera's base salary would be included into the cap space for next year so while you would get a hit for his signing bonus you would save his base salary

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
StanleySpadowski;1302718 said:
The new rule is that you don't have to wait until June 1st to take advantage of spreading the cap hit over two season.

Good to know thanks.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
acruther;1302643 said:
So we actually are worse off cutting him than keeping him. Weird...not the answer I was expecting...

i think as a general rule with the contracts we brought the big FA class in on (Henry, Rivera, Ferguson) that the break point was 3 years - after 3 years cutting them was a wash, after 4 years there would be cap savings etc.

It is a smart way to do a deal.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
StanleySpadowski;1302718 said:

I think however that most teams that manage the cap well would rather take that hit for 2007 and then be clear in 2008.

I'm not convinced he gets cut. I think Bill likes a lot of what Rivera brings leadership-wise to the entire line and teaching-wise to the young guys. We may very well see him here next year as a backup.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
acruther;1302643 said:
I believe AdamJT13 said we would save either $6 or $7 million from cuttin Bledsoe. I think it's $7.

Thanks -- I read in a few places that Bledsoe's deal was a 3-year officially but it really was a 2 year b/c the last year has such a high cap number. So that would make sense.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
We would save $6.5 million by getting rid of Bledsoe before his $1 million roster bonus is due (likely in March). His final cap hit would be $666,668 instead of the $7,166,668 it's scheduled to be right now.

Rivera's cap hit is scheduled to be $3.625 million. If he is forced to retire, or if we cut him, we could either save $2 million or take an extra $1.25 million hit. His cap hit would be $1.625 million in 2007 and $3.25 million in 2008 if we split it, or it would be $4.875 million if we want to take the full hit in 2007.