salary cap hits with cut players..?

malbis030347

Reaction score
what happens when/if guys like Thompson, Reeves, N Jones, Rector, etc and all the others that don't make the cuts...do we take a salary cap hit when we add up the 10 players or so who don't make it?..anyone know how that all works?

sago1

Reaction score
I'm not Adam but I would think most of those young players you cited are on year to year contracts so we wouldn't suffer any cap hit at all but sure be interesting to see what Adam says.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
yeah adam can do it, he super on the salary cap

by the way adam, with us trading down to 26th pick, and losing our 2nd round draft choice, how much cap money will we have to have on the nfl draft, which should save us some on the current salary cap

Eddie

Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, only top 53 salaries count towards the cap. The lower end guys are irrelevant. So if we cut Thompson, Reeves, et al ... they're all on minimum wage, and it wouldn't hurt us abit.

Now, Marco Rivera, on the other hand, is going to count something like $8 mil in dead money next year. :(

BLT

Reaction score
well lets say Ball and Brown make the team over Reeves and Jones the team would almost save a million dollars.. other things im curious about is Rivera's cap hit when he gets cut or if he retires..

sago1

Reaction score
Actually I don't think cutting Riveria's cap hit is around $4M but assume we hold off retirement/cutting him to move some of that cap hit into next year. But don't forget we probably got cap hit from Vanderjagt.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
It used to be the Rule of 51 but I don't keep up with that stuff anymore. Adam does it for us.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Eddie;1483491 said:
If I'm not mistaken, only top 53 salaries count towards the cap. The lower end guys are irrelevant. So if we cut Thompson, Reeves, et al ... they're all on minimum wage, and it wouldn't hurt us abit.

Now, Marco Rivera, on the other hand, is going to count something like $8 mil in dead money next year. :(

If he retires, do we still have to take the cap hit next year?