Salary Cap

jujoboys

Reaction score
That is BS

they are just better at team football than anyone else and still went 10 years without winning a SB with Tom Brady
That is BS

they are just better at team football than anyone else and still went 10 years without winning a SB with Tom Brady

Actually, Tom Brady owns a company called TB12 and one of the clients is the New England Patriots. The relationship is approved by the NFL but I would be curious to know how much money goes into Tom's pocket based on having the Patriots as a client?

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/report-patriots-pay-a-brady-owned-company-run-by-suspect-partner/

jujoboys

Reaction score
2015 says Hello
Yes, that article is from 2015 but the nuts and bolts still apply to what I was posting. TB12 is still an existing company and the New England Patriots are still a client of TB12. Since Tom Brady is an owner of TB12 then he receives compensation from the company TB12. The Patriots pay money to the company TB12 which Tom Brady receives because he is an owner. The money that Tom Brady receives from TB12 from the business relationship with the Patriots does not count against the salary cap. What I would be curious to know is exactly how much Tom Brady is compensated through TB12 by the Patriot's organization? Below is the link to the TB12 company website.

https://tb12sports.com/

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
That would be true in most cases but our DE/DT Crawford comes to mind. Some second contracts are still about potential. All contracts are a crap shoot I guess. Brandon Carr proved that.
Carr was consistent with KC and played well the first couple years here. The biggest culprit in his "decline" with us was lack of a pass rush. Without consistent pressure, it makes it very tough for DBs to keep anyone covered. His first year with the Ravens he got as many INTs as he had his last 4 years here because they were getting pressure on the QB. It's true not every player lives up to their contract, but sometimes it's because of the quality of the team around them. The problems come from how you evaluate a player and the circumstances around them. Byron didn't look like a guy worth a 2nd contract, but circumstances have changed around him, new position, new coaching, improved pass rush and looked much better so will he continue to improve and what can we expect from him going forward? If a player doesn't work out how much do you blame the player or the people evaluating him?

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Never compare to what NE does. They have an offensive and defensive system that is fluid to take advantage of the talent they have and hide their issues. They are masters at trading off guys before they get huge contracts and getting cheaper replacements.

Never compare to what NE does because they a corrupt and cheat.

I am all for a new rule that the money teams pay illegally to league heads does count also against the cap. Then NE would have serious problems.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Carr was consistent with KC and played well the first couple years here. The biggest culprit in his "decline" with us was lack of a pass rush. Without consistent pressure, it makes it very tough for DBs to keep anyone covered. His first year with the Ravens he got as many INTs as he had his last 4 years here because they were getting pressure on the QB. It's true not every player lives up to their contract, but sometimes it's because of the quality of the team around them. The problems come from how you evaluate a player and the circumstances around them. Byron didn't look like a guy worth a 2nd contract, but circumstances have changed around him, new position, new coaching, improved pass rush and looked much better so will he continue to improve and what can we expect from him going forward? If a player doesn't work out how much do you blame the player or the people evaluating him?
Its definitely a team chemistry thing. And that's totally on the front office. They need to make up their minds as to which side of the ball they want to be dominant on. In today's NFL it's hard to build that 92 Cowboys team.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Ticket...and I’m sure many heard this...just had a piece on our salary issues. There was a lot of info so I’ll make it short.

In the NFL there is only 1 team paying their offensive triplets top 10 salaries in the league..Atlanta. New England and many others have zero. As an offense as a whole NE has 1. We have 5 I believe with 3 on the O line. (Driving kids to school so correct me if I git that wrong). If we pay Coop and Dak top cash we will have 7, highest in league.

Basically we are the full damn and need to win now or this things bursts

And if wondering NE has zero on D

That is misleading any many ways.

It does not show the condition of a team's cap situation.

Issue #1: Dead Money
The Cowboys have been "living clean" in recent years by not accumulating large amounts of dead-money.

The comparison of player salaries does not show which teams have avoided accumulating dead-money.

A player with a 2 year, 20M contract has an AAV of 10M (Average Annual Value).

If the team takes a cap hit of 10M in year 1, then the cap hit is 10M in year 2.

If the team only takes a cap hit of 5M in year 1., then the cap hit in year 2 is 15M (10M AAV plus 5M from year 1).

For simplicity, I'm going to refer to that as creating 5M in dead-money during year 1 (it's really prorated money).

dead-money created = AAV - Cap Hit

Examples for 2019:
Cowboys Zack Martin: dead-money created = Zero (AAV - Cap Hit)
Patriots Stephon Gilmore: dead-money created = 4M (13M - 9M)

Note: The Cowboys could have restructured Martin's contract to reduce his 2019 cap hit by 7M; however, that 7M would be dead-money created.

Issue #2: Lead RB vs RB by committee
Zeke makes significantly more than any 1 Patriots RB; however, the Patriots have a higher total spend on RBs:

2019 RB Total Spend
Cowboys 10.2M (Zeke's portion 7.9M)
Patriots 12.5M

2020 RB Total Spend
Cowboys 11.7M (Zeke's portion 9M)
Patriots 13.8M

Issue #3: 2020 Offensive Spend NOT including the top QB, RB and WR for each team:
Falcons 82M
Eagles 76M
Cowboys 61M
Patriots 45M

The Patriots are low on offensive spend for 2020, but looking at total spend...

Issue #4: Patriots Total Spend NOT including the top QB, RB and WR for each team:
Cowboy 119M
Patriots 132M

Note: The position totals and offensive/'defensive spend per team are from OTC's positional spending data.

75boyz

Reaction score
The Cowboys will always be banging their heads at against the salary cap. Just because they draft players with high sparq scores. These players "wow" on film then we have to pay them for their "wow-ness."

Patriots ideology; Stay big and physical on defense while having a pure pocket passing franchise QB.

Cowboys ideology; Just draft players with high sparq scores.

We pay more and lose more than they do.

Nice post.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
The Ticket...In the NFL there is only 1 team paying their offensive triplets top 10 salaries in the league..Atlanta. New England and many others have zero. As an offense as a whole NE has 1. We have 5 I believe with 3 on the O line. (Driving kids to school so correct me if I git that wrong). If we pay Coop and Dak top cash we will have 7, highest in league.

Does any team put as much of their cap in the OL as Dallas?

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score

The Cowboys have been "living clean" in recent years by not accumulating large amounts of dead-money.

The comparison of player salaries does not show which teams have avoided accumulating dead-money.

If the team takes a cap hit of 10M in year 1, then the cap hit is 10M in year 2.

If the team only takes a cap hit of 5M in year 1., then the cap hit in year 2 is 15M (10M AAV plus 5M from year 1).

For simplicity, I'm going to refer to that as creating 5M in dead-money during year 1 (it's really prorated money).

Examples for 2019:

Note: The Cowboys could have restructured Martin's contract to reduce his 2019 cap hit by 7M; however, that 7M would be dead-money created.

Zeke makes significantly more than any 1 Patriots RB; however, the Patriots have a higher total spend on RBs:

2019 RB Total Spend
Patriots 12.5M

2020 RB Total Spend
Patriots 13.8M

Issue #3: 2020 Offensive Spend NOT including the top QB, RB and WR for each team:
Falcons 82M
Eagles 76M
Cowboys 61M
Patriots 45M

Issue #4: Patriots Total Spend NOT including the top QB, RB and WR for each team:
Cowboy 119M
Patriots 132M

Note: The position totals and offensive/'defensive spend per team are from OTC's positional spending data.
Proper perspective is a good thing

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score

Examples for 2019:

2019 RB Total Spend
Patriots 12.5M

2020 RB Total Spend
Patriots 13.8M

Falcons 82M
Eagles 76M
Cowboys 61M
Patriots 45M

Cowboy 119M
Patriots 132M

Nice analysis! I was mostly repeating the segment there. It is basic but I thought it still was fascinating because not many teams are paying a big three

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nice analysis! I was mostly repeating the segment there. It is basic but I thought it still was fascinating because not many teams are paying a big three
Rams 2020 "Tripletts" Cap Hits

QB Jared Goff 22.8M
WR Brandin Cooks 16.8M
RB Todd Gurley 17.25M

Miller

Reaction score
Rams 2020 "Tripletts" Cap Hits

QB Jared Goff 22.8M
WR Brandin Cooks 16.8M
RB Todd Gurley 17.25M

We will see 2020 but yes. Their analysis was this year only

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In the NFL there is only 1 team paying their offensive triplets top 10 salaries in the league..Atlanta. New England and many others have zero. As an offense as a whole NE has 1. We have 5 I believe with 3 on the O line.
Stealers had at least 3 until their meltdown last year.

Miller

Reaction score
Stealers had at least 3 until their meltdown last year.

No they literally avoided paying them all by not paying Bell and shipping Brown! That was the point of the Ticket piece. No matter the team we haven’t seen many put all bucks on all 3 or have many in years dominate cap space. There are great replies here. I’m just repeating it! It’s where you put your balls with the idea of one or two aren’t worth the price after what happens