Same Deal as Troy Aikman Biggest Contract in NFL History

Qcard

Reaction score
I don't wanna put words in OP mouth but I think what he's saying Jerry and Stephen are following the same contract extension concept for Dak as he did Troy and he's right. In fact, it also the same concept for Romo. Other words, both Troy and Romo had their contracts extended with one year left on their current deal and paid according to market value at the time. Don't think OP is saying Dak deserves to paid similar to Troy as highest paid NFL QB.
Haha yes. Great post by the OP. Some just can't stomach Dak and Troy together in anyway...
The just happened to be winning DC QB1s

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Back in 1989, rookies were paid on potential and there was no rookie salary cap. Troy Aikman benefited from this era. The Dallas Cowboys signed Troy Aikman, the quarterback from U.C.L.A., to a six-year, $11.2 million contract. It was the largest contract for a National Football League rookie in NFL History.

However, one year before Aikman's contract expired in 1994, Jerry Jones negotiated giving Aikman the biggest contract in NFL history agreeing to a $50 million, eight-year deal that includes an $11 million signing bonus. He opted to let Emmitt Smith contract expire. But that is a story for Zeke Elliott. Aikman had won one Super Bowl for the Cowboys in 1992 and the Cowboys were standing 8-4 in the 1993 season when the deal got done.

But unlike Aikman Jerry is faced with a problem with Dak Prescott. Aikman had seasons of 1-15, 7-9, 11-5, and 13-3. However he only had 1 complete season in 1992 going 13-3 winning the Super Bowl and 2 playoff seasons he contributed. The other seasons were cut off by injuries (89, 90, and 91). Dak has had no losing seasons with 2 playoff appearances and a wild card win going 13-3, 9-7, and 10-6 as a full time starter missing no games.

So Jerry will have to do the same deal for Dak he did for Aikman. He can wait and see how the 2019 season progresses. However, history has shown Dak Prescott has never had a losing season as a QB in high school, college or the Pros. Also, this is his first year with a solid no.1 WR (with no injuries like with Dez 2016-2017), and talented experienced WR/TE group to start the season. So, to mitigate damages to his pocket, it is probably better for Jerry to get a deal done now before the inevitable (winning season and playoffs).

Cowboy fans, don't be shocked if it is the largest deal in NFL history...After all, its the way to pay Dallas Cowboys QBs.

Dak vs Aikman? You gotta be either insane or very young.

DHCBF66

Reaction score
No, Emmitt did not have a contract going into the 93 season. Jerry did not let it expire, they just could not come together on a deal. Emmitt did not hold out, he just didn’t want to sign what Jerry offered.

They did not have automatic contracts for 4 or 5 years back then. The contract was for whatever they came to terms on and the length. Emmitts was a 3 year deal.
Emmitt DID hold out!

Pants

Reaction score
there is NO WAY that Dak receives the largest contract in NFL history - NO WAY - even jones isn't that stupid....I like Dak but do not support that nonsense, he hasn't earned that...ol' JJ would be a laughing stock and even he has to know that....

Q_the_man

Reaction score
to compare Dak to Aikman based season results is aboslutley stupid and absurd.... Aikman was tagged as a no miss prospect. his draft report was can't miss prospect by all scouts. he was the consensus #1 pick of the draft. he went to a team that a bunch of div III level talent + Irwin.... to compare his 1-15 to 7-9 season to what Dak has done, playing behind perhaps the greatest OL in history of NFL in 2016, having Zeke a top 5 pick with potential HOF credentials, Dez, Witten. is absolutely absurd.

and plus aikman played in a different era than Dak….Dak can't be compared to aikman in any level. you compare dak to his contemporaries today and base the contract on that.....

Dak will get paid, because of publicity behind him based on all these supposed Wins that he has had (forget the ret of the team, its all him) and perceived value of QBs today and not having another alternative. which is what we put ourselves into. he will get paid not because he is great or good. he gets paid because there is not much other option.
Seriously, the hate.. Not great or good, lol. I agree Dak is not great but not good, the hate. The only option. Come on guys. Dak has help win 2 division titles in 3 years but he's not good, one of the highest QBR over the last 3 years but he's not good. Please stop the hate.

Q_the_man

Reaction score
I do believe Dak gets paid, I don't think he's worth 30+ mil.

I would love if we gave Dak 5 years 90 mil but I know that's not happening and if he declines, let him play out the season and bench him and week 3, then see what kind of contract he gets next season, joking but serious.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
to compare Dak to Aikman based season results is aboslutley stupid and absurd.... Aikman was tagged as a no miss prospect. his draft report was can't miss prospect by all scouts. he was the consensus #1 pick of the draft. he went to a team that a bunch of div III level talent + Irwin.... to compare his 1-15 to 7-9 season to what Dak has done, playing behind perhaps the greatest OL in history of NFL in 2016, having Zeke a top 5 pick with potential HOF credentials, Dez, Witten. is absolutely absurd.

and plus aikman played in a different era than Dak….Dak can't be compared to aikman in any level. you compare dak to his contemporaries today and base the contract on that.....

Dak will get paid, because of publicity behind him based on all these supposed Wins that he has had (forget the ret of the team, its all him) and perceived value of QBs today and not having another alternative. which is what we put ourselves into. he will get paid not because he is great or good. he gets paid because there is not much other option.
I am just letting you know what Jerry Jones has done in the past. He is not cheap with QBs especially winning QBs. The only comparisons are Aikman and Romo both were paid the highest salaries in Cowboys History and the NFL. That's why after the Romo's contract Jerry said he expects Peyton Manning work in his off season (he did not say Troy Aikman type work). What did Tony Romo do as a starter to get his 2012 $108M extension deal? Romo was 9-7, 13-3, 9-7, 11-5, 6-10, and 8-8 with 1 Wild Card win). Compared to Troy Aikman, if Romo was worth the largest contract in Cowboys history, would not Dak get the same consideration from Jerry Jones for an extension? Also, what was Troy Aikman's record without Emmitt Smith? 1-15 in 1989 and 0-2 in 1993. So I am not buying your logic that Troy did it all himself either. But he was the QB which is the main position on a football team. The same goes for Dak.

Jerry will not take the chance of losing a winning QB by letting his contract expire and place a restricted free agent 1st round tender or a franchise tag. You may not like the comparison. But, if you are looking to get Dak at his lowest value (which will be highest paid at the time), it will be now before the 2019 season begins. Waiting for this season to play out will back fire and cause a lot of mess.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I am just letting you know what Jerry Jones has done in the past. He is not cheap with QBs especially winning QBs. The only comparisons are Aikman and Romo both were paid the highest salaries in Cowboys History and the NFL. That's why after the Romo's contract Jerry said he expects Peyton Manning work in his off season (he did not say Troy Aikman type work). What did Tony Romo do as a starter to get his 2012 $108M extension deal? Romo was 9-7, 13-3, 9-7, 11-5, 6-10, and 8-8 with 1 Wild Card win). Compared to Troy Aikman, if Romo was worth the largest contract in Cowboys history, would not Dak get the same consideration from Jerry Jones for an extension? Also, what was Troy Aikman's record without Emmitt Smith? 1-15 in 1989 and 0-2 in 1993. So I am not buying your logic that Troy did it all himself either. But he was the QB which is the main position on a football team. The same goes for Dak.

Jerry will not take the chance of losing a winning QB by letting his contract expire and place a restricted free agent 1st round tender or a franchise tag. You may not like the comparison. But, if you are looking to get Dak at his lowest value (which will be highest paid at the time), it will be now before the 2019 season begins. Waiting for this season to play out will back fire and cause a lot of mess.
I don't disagree. Jerry is set in his mind to do it, given our options are limited, which is what drives the market.....I just hope it doesn't end up like Cousins deal. buyers remorse

MyUserName

Reaction score
Dak can't be compared to aikman in any level. you compare dak to his contemporaries today and base the contract on that.....
:clap:...to your entire comment, and specifically to the snip above.

At this time, you can only give him something in the Andy Dalton-Alex Smith range at best: 5 yr, $95M with $30M-$35M guaranteed.

Anything more is beyond insanity imo.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
:facepalm:
Back in 1989, rookies were paid on potential and there was no rookie salary cap. Troy Aikman benefited from this era. The Dallas Cowboys signed Troy Aikman, the quarterback from U.C.L.A., to a six-year, $11.2 million contract. It was the largest contract for a National Football League rookie in NFL History.

However, one year before Aikman's contract expired in 1994, Jerry Jones negotiated giving Aikman the biggest contract in NFL history agreeing to a $50 million, eight-year deal that includes an $11 million signing bonus. He opted to let Emmitt Smith contract expire. But that is a story for Zeke Elliott. Aikman had won one Super Bowl for the Cowboys in 1992 and the Cowboys were standing 8-4 in the 1993 season when the deal got done.

But unlike Aikman Jerry is faced with a problem with Dak Prescott. Aikman had seasons of 1-15, 7-9, 11-5, and 13-3. However he only had 1 complete season in 1992 going 13-3 winning the Super Bowl and 2 playoff seasons he contributed. The other seasons were cut off by injuries (89, 90, and 91). Dak has had no losing seasons with 2 playoff appearances and a wild card win going 13-3, 9-7, and 10-6 as a full time starter missing no games.

So Jerry will have to do the same deal for Dak he did for Aikman. He can wait and see how the 2019 season progresses. However, history has shown Dak Prescott has never had a losing season as a QB in high school, college or the Pros. Also, this is his first year with a solid no.1 WR (with no injuries like with Dez 2016-2017), and talented experienced WR/TE group to start the season. So, to mitigate damages to his pocket, it is probably better for Jerry to get a deal done now before the inevitable (winning season and playoffs).

Cowboy fans, don't be shocked if it is the largest deal in NFL history...After all, its the way to pay Dallas Cowboys QBs.

So, what happened with Aikman in 25 years ago is the standard for Dak today?

:facepalm:

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
If old jerrah gives Dak $35M, he's a bigger fool than I thought.
He will probably almost be a bigger fool than you thought.
When you paint yourself into a corner with a team on the cusp of a possible championship caliber roster, with no other options at QB.... your going to pay.
I remember a time when we let even 1st round pick overall in Aikman have to battle it out in camp.... lol
Dak was a 4th round pipe dream, and here we are again.... UDFA Romo fed the franchise QB for cheap fantasy.
This franchise will pay, and this fan base will pay... we have no choice,,, all aboard the Dak train...

Last edited: