Sammy Watkins & Allen Robinson likely to hit open market

Reaction score
Watkins loves Coach Lal from their BUF days. Would be ideal opposite of Dez. Robinson would be ideal replacement for Dez. Both are young. If we are ever going to spend big in FA on a WR, Id like to see it on one of these two, or my personal favorite, a smaller deal for Donte Moncrief. Thoughts?

John813

Reaction score
All depends on money.

We have 3 receivers on 2nd level deals.
If we go after one of Watkins or Robinson, that would lead me to believe Dez is gone.
Moncrief is my "value" signing that I see reasonable. Has the size the Cowboys look for and has the speed to stretch the field. Butler seems to be a goner, so we could try to sign a guy like DM to a prove it deal

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Watkins loves Coach Lal from their BUF days. Would be ideal opposite of Dez. Robinson would be ideal replacement for Dez. Both are young. If we are ever going to spend big in FA on a WR, Id like to see it on one of these two, or my personal favorite, a smaller deal for Donte Moncrief. Thoughts?

Any one of those 3 would be ideal opposite of Dez, not as a replacement.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
“If they’re good then why are they available?”—Micky Spagnola

jrumann59

Reaction score
We would need both Watkins and Robinson so we could collectively get a full season out of the position. IF you held a gun a to my head I would take Robinson and smaller deal with Moncrief. But reality is if they add WR it will only be 1 through FA and then the draft(maybe). Dez is locked up, Williams is more or less locked up, Bez is locked up, Switzer is in his 2nd year, and Noah Brown is he WR or TE. Not a lot of WR spots unless Bez or Twill become draft day trades.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’d rather draft 2 WRs in the 1st 5 rounds.

I can understand this, but sign one of those 3, and get a proven WR, instead of waiting on one to develop. Then use those draft picks on defense and OL.
Unless a 1st round pick. at Wr most likely are not going to contribute as most want the 1st year.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

that reasoning was somewhat true a long time ago. But with the amount of contracts now, it is strictly a money issue.
If no cap, Jerry would have the best players. But too bad still no coaching staff to win. :muttley:

conner01

Reaction score
Don’t see them spending big on another receiver when we have 3 guys on second contracts
Watkins is a possibility on a short term prove i can play a full season deal
Switzer will eventually push Beasley out. Now you draft a guy to push one of the others out so you lower what you are spending on the position and improve the quality of the position overall

aikemirv

Reaction score
I think Watkins is going to end up a bust. Goff proved he could sling the ball around and Watkins was not successful there. Robinson coming off injury is a question mark.

Both should not be that expensive.

aikemirv

Reaction score
This is dumb logic. And you quoted one of the dumbest blow hards to ever be associated with this team. Eagles picked up some really good pieces in the open market last year. And in trades.
I am pretty sure he was being sarcastic.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
This is dumb logic. And you quoted one of the dumbest blow hards to ever be associated with this team. Eagles picked up some really good pieces in the open market last year. And in trades.
Yes. I know.

He’d also be very dismissive when he said it.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Don’t see them spending big on another receiver when we have 3 guys on second contracts
Watkins is a possibility on a short term prove i can play a full season deal
Switzer will eventually push Beasley out. Now you draft a guy to push one of the others out so you lower what you are spending on the position and improve the quality of the position overall

Also depends on what the think about Noah Brown and his development. I think Lal can work with him to improve the ay they think he can. Or else they would not have kept him as the 6th WR last year. If they are really high on him, then WR may not be a priority this year as many think, including myself.
However, my priority on a WR is that we need a field stretching speed WR. Not just a WR just because. We are set at WR IMO except that speed guy.

I really think Brown can be good, he gets open, he makes catches. But he isn't that speed guy. But he will replace Butler as the 5th WR. And we need 6 again. As Beasley and Switzer are the same, and basically are just 1 WR. And that is not a size comment joke, it is that they are the same type of player.

conner01

Reaction score
Also depends on what the think about Noah Brown and his development. I think Lal can work with him to improve the ay they think he can. Or else they would not have kept him as the 6th WR last year. If they are really high on him, then WR may not be a priority this year as many think, including myself.
However, my priority on a WR is that we need a field stretching speed WR. Not just a WR just because. We are set at WR IMO except that speed guy.

I really think Brown can be good, he gets open, he makes catches. But he isn't that speed guy. But he will replace Butler as the 5th WR. And we need 6 again. As Beasley and Switzer are the same, and basically are just 1 WR. And that is not a size comment joke, it is that they are the same type of player.
I think we draft a guy with speed, at least I hope we do
I think Beasley will soon get pushed out by Switzer. Love Beasley but I think Switzer could be even better and is much better on ST
If we go DT at 19 I think 50 could be a WR though the need at guard is also a big one

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I really want Watkins here. I think he has all the tools if he can just stay healthy. I'd love if we can get him for cheap.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

The logic isn't that 'anybody who's available is not good.' It's 'you have to consider why the guy is available.' Is he a head case? Is he a name that's past his prime? Is he going to be just too expensive? Ie, there's usually a reason when a good football player is on the street. It's not bad logic, it just gets used out of context so often it's become a cartoon.

Watkins gives you role-player production with speed and a brand name of a #1 WR. He's going to be asking for more money than his production is worth. Robinson gives you the production, but brings the injury question with the high price tag. Both guys are interesting options, but there are reasons why they're available. Dallas won't be in the market for either unless it ends up being a lot softer than anybody expects. We'll re-do/extend Dez and draft a replacement for Butler to compete with Noah Brown and Switzer.

Torturedcowboysfan

Reaction score
Watkins is more explosive and should more to prove I’m 2018. I’d prefer him as a back up plan Incase we don’t get dj Moore.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Watkins is more explosive and should more to prove I’m 2018. I’d prefer him as a back up plan Incase we don’t get dj Moore.

Funny that is said every year Watkins has been in the league. He has something to prove, last year was fluke he is back from injury...

Torturedcowboysfan

Reaction score
All depends on money.

We have 3 receivers on 2nd level deals.
If we go after one of Watkins or Robinson, that would lead me to believe Dez is gone.
Moncrief is my "value" signing that I see reasonable. Has the size the Cowboys look for and has the speed to stretch the field. Butler seems to be a goner, so we could try to sign a guy like DM to a prove it deal
Keep dez and sign watching Nd. Instead of getting ride if dez, get rid of Williams.